News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brock Peyer

Has anyone played every course in their home state?
« on: October 06, 2007, 11:37:18 PM »
Turboe's last post on the post about "How many courses have you played?" which said got me thinking:

"I would estimate that I have been to roughly 3/4 of the courses in SC."

Has anyone played all the courses in your home state, or any state?  I guess Alaska and some states with less courses could be done but I have only played 46 courses in my home state of GA and only 65 in my former home of NC.

How 'bout it?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 11:38:11 PM by Brock Peyer »

Andy Troeger

Re:Has anyone played every course in their home state?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 12:31:15 AM »
I played 103 courses in Indiana when I lived there, which I figured was maybe 25% of the total number of courses give or take.

I've played 23 courses in New Mexico, and might already be to 25%! I imagine I could play every course if I wanted to, but I'm not sure I want to...

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 12:38:47 AM »
There was a guy in Oregon in the 1990s who has played every course in Oregon and almost every one in Washington and had the score cards to prove it.

We went to Pendleton Country Club to rate it and he brought a score card from the 1950s when it was a 9 hole course.

I can't remember his name.  He was in his late 60s then and might have passed away by now.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 02:03:43 AM »
Playing every golf course is California would be an impossible task. However, I have played Indian Camp GC in Tulelake - a flip sandwedge from the Oregon Border - and Barbara Worth GC on the south end of the Imperial Valley near the Mexican Border.

Northstar GC covers the eastern edge and Lincoln Park GC sits on the western wall of America, so that covers the four corners of California.

Does that count?

Didn't think so . . . . .

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 03:57:18 AM »
Playing every golf course is California would be an impossible task. However, I have played Indian Camp GC in Tulelake - a flip sandwedge from the Oregon Border - and Barbara Worth GC on the south end of the Imperial Valley near the Mexican Border.

Northstar GC covers the eastern edge and Lincoln Park GC sits on the western wall of America, so that covers the four corners of California.

Does that count?

Didn't think so . . . . .

But have you played at the 'basement' of your California golf house, the course at Death Valley?!  I have, but I can't say it was anything special.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tom Dunne

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 06:59:14 AM »
I heard not that long ago about someone who tried to play every course in New Zealand in a calendar year--I think he succeeded.

I don't quite get the compulsion, but playing every course in one's home state would definitely be better than that guy's mission to visit every Starbucks in the world.  ???

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 09:28:50 PM »
Rhode Island would seem to be an ideal candidate.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 10:00:47 PM »
[
be better than that guy's mission to visit every Starbucks in the world.  ???

Has even an employee of Starbucks been to every location?  We thought golf was addiction but that guy has a problem!!!

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 10:14:16 PM »
One golf publication I have had Delaware  tallying just 26 courses back in 1996. Though there are probably another 8 or 10 by now, that's merely a good season of golf
for some.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 10:14:58 PM by Craig_Rokke »

Michael Christensen

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 10:27:08 PM »
I am pretty close in CT.......worked 3rd shift in college...played somewhere different everyday publicwise.......now have played almost every private in state......

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 02:22:04 AM »
There was an article in the NCGA magazine a couple of years ago about a genleman that played every course in Northern California. As I recall, he had to keep up a pretty decent pace just to match the rate of construction during the "Tiger Boom." I forget how many courses he played in all.

Just the logistics of getting access to some of the more exclusive clubs in that area are mind-boggling, time and money considerations aside.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 03:07:26 AM »
Logistics?  Bob McCoy played the Golf Magazine top 100 world list in 100 days about 10-15 years ago.  His airplane bill was $35k.  He walked and carried his bag at all 100 courses.  JC

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 10:25:19 PM »
I would love to play every course in my home state but being in Texas it's a little bit tough. :D

Dave Collard

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 10:46:58 AM »
There are only 19 courses in Alaska.

However, I live in Ohio.  I have played
106 courses out of the approximately 825
here.

-- Thor

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 08:37:18 PM »
Wow, it took a thread like this to bring Thor out of the woodwork!

http://ttsoft.com/thor/golflinks.html

As you can see, Thor is a man of accumulations and links!  ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 08:56:49 PM »
My friend Joe Martin, a retired schoolteacher, has played every course in the state of NJ, as well as many others.

He's also a wonderful gentleman.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 10:31:25 PM »
My friend Joe Martin, a retired schoolteacher, has played every course in the state of NJ, as well as many others.

He's also a wonderful gentleman.
Mike, if you are going to do it, NJ is a great choice for some obvious reasons.  I would like to make it a goal to play every course in GA but I have always had the goal of playing the number one course in GA and would be happy at that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back