News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

JMorgan

Old Elm - Highland Park/Fort Sheridan IL
« on: October 16, 2007, 05:55:15 PM »
From all reports, Harry Colt designed this course, while Donald Ross  handled the construction.  Nevertheless, I consistently see Donald Ross credited with the design without any mention of Colt.  Nada.

Besides the obvious, is there something I'm missing from high up on the Dork Scale?

Does Ross just have more street cred in the USA than HSC?  

I've never played the course ... what says those who have played it or just have an opinion?

JMorgan

Re:Old Elm - Highland Park/Fort Sheridan IL
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 08:00:11 PM »
For instance, how can you miss this one:

"The plans for the course were made by H.S. Colt, and with the exception of enlarging one green, no alterations have been permitted since it was finished.  There is thus an unusual opportunity offered to compare the architecture of a decade with the prevailing ideas of today.  The construction of the course was by Donald Ross."

- Charles Piper, USGA Green Committee Chairman, Golf Illustrated.

Dan Moore

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 09:48:15 PM »
I have read somewhere that Colt and Ross worked together on the plan.  

I was talking to a friend last week who recently played there and was raving about it.  He says it has the best Ross greens he has played anywhere.  Assuming Ross built the course (even if Colt did the routing alone) would we consider them Ross greens.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:00:32 PM »
One of the highest compliments I can give Old Elm is that it is one of the great 'Old Man' golf courses.

My hope is that no one takes this the wrong way.  It is really a compliment.

It is a wonderfully walkable course, without too much land movement, that is in exquisite condition and would be a course I would love to play every day, even when I were to be 70 or 80 years old.  It is that fun and fair.

:)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:44:32 PM »
Paul,

Do you think some of the reason for that is that it is the same length today as when it was built?  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

JMorgan

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:02:08 AM »
I have read somewhere that Colt and Ross worked together on the plan.  

I was talking to a friend last week who recently played there and was raving about it.  He says it has the best Ross greens he has played anywhere.  Assuming Ross built the course (even if Colt did the routing alone) would we consider them Ross greens.  

Dan, that's good to hear.  Perhaps I'll have the opportunity to play it someday.

There's no issue with Ross getting credit.  I just don't understand why Colt DOESN'T get credit, as well.

They also made changes at Glen View Club together.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 10:03:02 AM by JMorgan »

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 04:20:07 PM »
Paul,

Do you think some of the reason for that is that it is the same length today as when it was built?  

Absolutely.

It hasn't been tinkered with too much - too many trees have been planted - but the combination of its length, interesting greens, and lack of hills makes this a great and fun course to play - at any age.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 05:17:41 PM »
I did some work there years ago. The story they told was that they invited both Colt and Ross to design it without telling each other, locked them in the clubhouse for a few days, and they came out with a plan.  Later, some of the same group founded Shoreacres, and niether gentleman would take the commission, so Raynor got it.

That's what they told me, anyway, and I vaguely recall some old document backing it up, but only vaguely.

Kind of a forerunner of Sebonac, eh? :)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back