News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Weyhill golf course (Saucon Valley CC)
« on: October 06, 2007, 10:26:52 AM »
They held the Lesley Cup (102nd playing) at Saucon Valley this week and we played the Weyhill course (Gordon 1967) at Saucon Valley CC.

I was very impressed with much of the architecture, particularly the use of various old features both natural and old prexisting man-made.

This course is fun and challenging to play in various ways both up and down and side to side. The greens were both firm and fast enough to truly demand "strategic" approaches of varying kinds.

The course's design also utilizes the dogleg concept in all kinds of ways including one (#18) that is basically right angle.

I also thought the shortish par 5 12th was most interesting with its dogleg left drive followed by that huge depressed mid-section of the hole.

The 13th takes some thought and execution off the tee and the 14th is the type of hole where an architect must just thank his luck in how that quarry creates a perfect tee to green app 170 yard hole.

It would not surprise me at all if the Gordon's did not just route those holes initially and just work the balance and variety of the course's remaining holes backwards and forwards off that particular stretch.

The entire 900 acre setting of Saucon Valley in the over-all has to be one of the most beautiful in the world.

D_Malley

Re:Weyhill golf course (Saucon Valley CC)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 10:55:12 AM »
wayne
i have yet to play weyhill, which i have heard from several people that they believe is the best of the three courses.  I have played both Old & Grace courses.

My question is:  Do you think that SV courses are a little over rated because the club in it's whole is just so awesome, with ithink 60 total holes.  

or to put it a different way, do you think the Old & Grace courses would be as highly considered if they were just a one course club?

Bill Brightly

Re:Weyhill golf course (Saucon Valley CC)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
If you haven't seen it lately, Tom Fazio just completed a renovation of the Old Course. Really beautiful bunkering work.

I think the courses are rated right where they belong. The Weyhill property is just stunning, and Gordon made great use of the Saucon Creek and the quarry. Great changes from hole to hole 11 through 18.

THe Grace course (hole 5) happens to have the best Eden copy I have ever palyed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back