News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Boult

14-Club Limit
« on: October 05, 2007, 11:05:12 AM »
On a recent trip to Bandon, there was a group from Chicago that joined us. One guy in the group was teasing the other (who flew them all out on a private jet) that he was about to exceed the 14 club limit - but he was talking about private club memberships!

After reading the thread about how many courses many of you have played, I'm wondering if anyone here has exceeded the 14 club limit ;)

0 memberships here.

Phil Benedict

Re:14-Club Limit
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:08:54 AM »
Anyone who belongs to that many clubs is too busy making money to be able to spend much time in chat groups.

Richard Boult

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 11:17:56 AM »
Anyone who belongs to that many clubs is too busy making money to be able to spend much time in chat groups.

Good point!  However, this guy already made all his money and is now too busy playing his and his friend's courses to spend any time in chat groups.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 11:41:24 AM »
I think for sheer number, Barny is the leader in the clubhouse with four.

Do I get to count the three courses at Olympic?

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 11:47:08 AM »
This reminds me of a funny story about one of the "powerful men" of St. Louis from quite a few years ago.

Robert Hyland was the GM of KMOX radio in St. Louis and a CBS executive back in the 1960s into the 1990s.  This was when most media was locally owner or controlled, and in St. Louis KMOX was a huge force of power.  Robert Hyland quite a workaholic and "leader" in local affairs.

Well the point of this is that one of the stories about him was that he and his wife (of which he only had one) were having dinner at a St. Louis area country club.  An acquaintance saw them and said to Mrs. Hyland, "I didn't know who were a member of this club."  To which Mrs. Hyland responded, "Neither did I."
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 12:03:10 PM »
Wouldn't Hammy be the winner here?  ;)
He must belong to at least 10 if not 20.  :D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Foley

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:56:22 PM »
I've heard that Micheal Jordan is a member of  8 different clubs.

Also that there is a gentleman who is a member at Shinny, NGLA, Merion, Pine Valley & Seminole.

Bet he's on a few people's speed dials!!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 12:56:44 PM by john_foley »
Integrity in the moment of choice

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 03:22:06 PM »
Hamilton B. Hearst is a fraud. I have decided his writing is nothing more than a parody of a wealthy, Hamptons Blue Blood; I would be willing to bet the author of his highfalutin, pretentious, pseudo-society horseshit is a college student trying to see how many of us will kiss his ass as part of a psychology experiment.

Hey Hamilton, if you are *real,* send me an e-mail . . . . . or respond to that "Where Are You?" thread.

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 03:26:58 PM »
I've had several emails from HBH.  Whoever he is, at the very least he knows the names of some influential members at some prestigious clubs.  I'd say he definitely uses an alias.

The real Ken Langone, not the impostor that used to post here, belongs to 19 or 20 clubs.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 03:27:03 PM »
Hamilton B. Hearst is a fraud. I have decided his writing is nothing more than a parody of a wealthy, Hamptons Blue Blood...

Say it ain't so, Gib! Hammy and I have a tee time at NGLA the Tuesday after next!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 03:27:36 PM »

Oh yea, Hammy is a fake, that much we know.  Some people actually know who he is (not me) and some have speculated.  Apparently there are exceptions to the rules, so that some people do not have to use their real names.

I think Barney is up to 5 or 6 now.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 03:55:28 PM »
One of the Treehouse, who I trust beyond doubt, informs me that he knows Hamilton's real identity and that he is actually legit.

Now, that does not mean I am going to lay a beso on his tibial . . . . . but I would like to have a beer (or glass of port on the veranda) with him someday, just to see if his rap sounds like that in person.

I know Tom Paul was a shock when we finally met . . . . . anything is possible, I might even like Wayne Morrison.

;) ;) ;)

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 10:56:33 PM »
Charlie,

Upper crust clubs take a dim view of Hokies . . . . .

"Far and Sure," nice touch, but you cannot talk your way onto Aronomink with flaps on your metal golf spikes - especially if they are worn down to a nub and your golf towel is from Disgusta National Muni, WV.

Don't be discouraged, better men than either one of us have been snubbed . . . .  ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 10:56:46 PM by Gib Papazian »

Brock Peyer

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
I was rereading GD's Index and they had a short interview with Seth Waugh of Deutsche Bank, he's a member at Boston GC, Deepdale, Garden City, Lahinch, Lost TRee, NGLA, Old Marsh, PV, Royal Aberdeen, Seminole and Westhampton.  That's a pretty good list.

Personally, I don't have 14 different logo shirts in my closet, let alone memberships.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 09:50:59 AM by Brock Peyer »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 09:40:45 AM »
I don't think you guys understand how affordable private clubs can be in the midwest.  I do pay dues at 5 clubs with the four inexpensive ones going at $136, $65, $60 and $40 per month with zero minimums.  It is a luxury but I rarely ever pay greenfees at public courses so it is not all that different than a guy who plays once or twice a week in the city.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back