News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Re:World's Best Green?
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2007, 09:34:13 AM »
Another green I really like is #14 at Somerset Hills. It is one of if not my #1 Tillie greens.
Mr Hurricane

gookin

« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2007, 01:16:33 PM »
This is my own self serving selection the Biarritz at Fox Chapel Golf Club # 17.

Interesting that the most talked about greens in the world Oakmont CC did not get one mention.

Justin Ryan

« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »

Is this the Sitwell Park inspired green? Or is that at St. Andrews Beach?

I believe that would be #16. Here is a small picture. Not from my camera.

That would be 13 Slag

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2007, 10:13:49 AM »
Pictures of some of the interesting ones mentioned.

SPDB

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2007, 12:11:14 PM »

#13, Sea Headrig at Prestwick. I hope one of the Treehouse has a good photo of the green handy as IMNSHO it is the best example of how to design a putting surface with wild movement, but without a hint of artificiality.

Gib:
Here is a link to a thread discussing Sea Hedraig that I started a few months back. I completely agree with your assessment.

Others I'm partial too (and believe have been unmentioned)

#16 at Montrose (crummy pic):

#16 at North Berwick:

#5 St. Andrews (New)

Norbert P

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2007, 03:05:27 PM »

This is a fascinating green complex.  Where is it?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

SPDB

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2007, 03:56:50 PM »
Its the 6th at Kingsbarns

JimFatsi

« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2007, 04:05:16 PM »
It may not be the best but its certainly the toughest I've played, Pinehurst # 5, which because of the difficulty may make it "the best"  This is a hard question.

JimFatsi

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2007, 04:09:51 PM »
I was recently impressed by the 8th at Yale; given the demands of the approach combined with the bold contour on the RH side and the overall slope.

Nice picture of Yale, HOw about the 9th green at Yale?

Norbert P

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2007, 04:18:49 PM »
Its the 6th at Kingsbarns

Thank you. I love the fade collection bunker on the right; and the staggered dune backdrop for egress is interesting.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Paul_Turner

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2007, 10:06:18 AM »
I can't think of greens with prettier curves than these three at Morfontaine's 9 holer  (pics Stuart Hallet).

can't get to heaven with a three chord song

TEPaul

« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2007, 10:50:31 AM »
For an actual green surface I'd have to pick PVGC's #2, as some others on here have.

I never gave it all that much thought but I doubt it would be half the green it is if it was not so raised. It's perhaps the longest functional approach shot relative to its actual distance I've ever seen or played (ironically with perhaps the single exception of its copy hole green on PV's Short Course).

The fact that it's just sitting way up there looking straight at you from the tee is very cool too.

This green and green site is probably an example of how luck shines on some golf holes.

There's no question at all that Harry Colt proposed that the green on #2 be sited and built off to the left and perhaps a bit lower than the actual hole. And he proposed siting the tee for #3 precisely in the middle of what is now the 2nd green.

Crump apparently overrode this idea with his famous remark to his friends of "NO GOOD" to Colt's idea. At that point Crump may've just become somewhat proprietary about what he had already routing and probably "roughed in" for this hole.

But there is something that I've never reported before about this green that certainly is interesting and will probably always remain mysterious as to whose idea it was or who drew it because either above the drawing of this hole in Colt's hole-by-hole booklet or perhaps on the back of the page there is a pencil doodle that looks sort of like a rolling W.

There's no question in my mind that this was a doodle for or from the idea of the amazing in-line double swale feature of this remarkable green.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2007, 09:54:45 PM »
I didn't take the time to read all three pages of list but I think my vote goes to 14 at Augusta,...I maybe I should change my answer, it may not be the best but it's my favorite.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2007, 12:39:43 AM »
Are many/most of these great-looking greens shaped, or are some au naturel?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2007, 08:31:46 AM »
I cant leave it a one....6 of the best !!
5 & 6 at Royal Melbourne (West)
11th St Andrews (Old)
15 & 16 North Berwick
5 Walton Heath (Old)

....there's a few putts tricky putts in them !!

Gary Daughters

« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2007, 09:21:21 AM »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2007, 11:56:01 AM »

Somebody had a long night before-Look at those mowers lines....SNAKES!  ;)

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 11:56:50 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Pat Howard

« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2007, 12:05:48 PM »
For an actual green surface I'd have to pick PVGC's #2, as some others on here have.

I never gave it all that much thought but I doubt it would be half the green it is if it was not so raised. It's perhaps the longest functional approach shot relative to its actual distance I've ever seen or played (ironically with perhaps the single exception of its copy hole green on PV's Short Course).

The fact that it's just sitting way up there looking straight at you from the tee is very cool too.

This green and green site is probably an example of how luck shines on some golf holes.

There's no question at all that Harry Colt proposed that the green on #2 be sited and built off to the left and perhaps a bit lower than the actual hole. And he proposed siting the tee for #3 precisely in the middle of what is now the 2nd green.

Crump apparently overrode this idea with his famous remark to his friends of "NO GOOD" to Colt's idea. At that point Crump may've just become somewhat proprietary about what he had already routing and probably "roughed in" for this hole.

But there is something that I've never reported before about this green that certainly is interesting and will probably always remain mysterious as to whose idea it was or who drew it because either above the drawing of this hole in Colt's hole-by-hole booklet or perhaps on the back of the page there is a pencil doodle that looks sort of like a rolling W.

There's no question in my mind that this was a doodle for or from the idea of the amazing in-line double swale feature of this remarkable green.

Does anyone have any photo's of this mythical beast? I've seen pics of the tee shot, approach and even from the front of the green looking back down the hole, but never of the putting surface itself. I know photos of PV are few and far between, but there has to be one good shot out there...

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2007, 03:28:58 PM »
The picture of the 1st at the Eden is great - almost matching the surprise effect on reaching the Green for the first time.
Some of the other Greens at the Eden are also incredible..

Here's one of my favourite greens - but then again I maybe biased.

JC Jones

« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2007, 03:39:54 PM »
I would like to include the 8th at High Pointe in the discussion.  I dont have a picture, and I wish I did.  The back right pin position is absolutely diabolical.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back