News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Dan Moore, on the recent Langford/Moreau thread, suggests that at a daily rate of $21.50, the L/M Spring Valley course near the Wisconsin/Illinois border is the best under-$25 course (regular rate) in the nation.

Other candidates? (No provisos, quid-pro-quos, or addendums...$25 or under as the highest rate charged by the course.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:07:32 PM by Phil McDade »

Powell Arms

Re:most bang for the bucks
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:55:13 PM »
I absolutely have another nominee, the Kukiolono course on Kauai.  (In fact, I can't imagine how this course isnt the winner.)

The attached link has a bit more information from my visit there in August.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=30728

For $25, a twosome could play all day and get change. (That's a standard rate of $9 for the day per person, or $3 for juniors)

Add a couple of bucks more and you get two paintcans filled with rangeballs to use at the practice area overlooking the ocean.

Awesome!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:03:44 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Richard Choi

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 03:55:47 PM »
For what its worth, I don't think there are any course near where I live (Seattle, Puget Sound) that has a peak rate under $25. Unless you are talking about par 3 courses, you can pretty much rule out any courses from the coastal states.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 03:56:54 PM »
Highest rate is $27 on weekends at Spring Valley.  Please either correct your information or delete the thread.  http://www.springvalleygolf.net/golf/proto/playspringvalleygolf/rates/rates.htm

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 04:04:56 PM »
Highest rate is $27 on weekends at Spring Valley.  Please either correct your information or delete the thread.  http://www.springvalleygolf.net/golf/proto/playspringvalleygolf/rates/rates.htm

John:

That would be the wrong Spring Valley -- we're so limited here in Wisconsin, we often run out of names and use them two or three times.

Here you go:

http://www.springvalleyccsalem.com/rates.html

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 04:09:36 PM »

John:

That would be the wrong Spring Valley -- we're so limited here in Wisconsin, we often run out of names and use them two or three times.

Here you go:

The only thing I hate more than misinformation is when I misidentify misinformation that is correct.  I apologize.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 04:12:04 PM »
For what its worth, I don't think there are any course near where I live (Seattle, Puget Sound) that has a peak rate under $25. Unless you are talking about par 3 courses, you can pretty much rule out any courses from the coastal states.

Maybe Pacific Grove?  At least for residents, the wkend rate is $25 ($45 non-residents).

John Foley

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »
Wildhorse - end of story
Integrity in the moment of choice

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 04:13:44 PM »
Wildhorse - end of story

Wildhorse can not have a peak rate of only $25.  I refuse to even research this as I know I can not be wrong twice in such a short time.

Phil McDade

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 04:17:15 PM »

John:

Here you go:

The only thing I hate more than misinformation is when I misidentify misinformation that is correct.  I apologize.

John:

Far be it for me to give a road builder a geography lesson, but this is from the home page of the "other" Spring Valley course:

"We are located in Spring Valley, Wisconsin - home of Crystal Cave and the Eau Galle Dam and Recreation Area (the Midwest's largest earthen dam). Situated halfway between St. Paul, MN and Eau Claire, WI, we are just 10 minutes south of Interstate 94 using County Highway B (exit #24) from St. Paul or State Highway 128 (exit #28) from Eau Claire."

No apology necessary; I should've listed the course's nearby town of Salem WI as being near the WI/Ill border to help with your googling.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 04:20:35 PM »
Phil,

It is not so much that I was wrong it is that I was so proud of myself for being right.  I even received an IM from a poster congratulating me on my fine work.  It was a proud 5 minutes in an otherwise dull day.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 04:27:06 PM »
I suspect Bandon Crossings is worthy of this status....

In the winter, Ghost Card holders can play Pumpkin Ridge Ghost Creek on Mondays for $20.

Hard to beat that deal

Isn't Apache dirt cheap....

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 04:35:11 PM »
You just can't get people to follow directions on a thread these days.  For under $25 as a peak rate all year I would go with Helfrich GC in Evansville, In.  Here is a link to the excellent Evansville City courses which has a sub-link to Fendrich.  I think it is clear that Helfrich is the more interesting of the two architecturally.  Looks like $17 is the cost all year at peak.  http://www.evansvillegov.org/Index.aspx?page=571

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 04:37:01 PM »

According to a thread on page one Apache is $55 with a coupon from the newspaper.

Forrest's Hideout goes for $21.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Golden

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 04:44:56 PM »
You just can't get people to follow directions on a thread these days.  For under $25 as a peak rate all year I would go with Helfrich GC in Evansville, In.  Here is a link to the excellent Evansville City courses which has a sub-link to Fendrich.  I think it is clear that Helfrich is the more interesting of the two architecturally.  Looks like $17 is the cost all year at peak.  http://www.evansvillegov.org/Index.aspx?page=571

Inspector Cloiseau (to the beggar):  Does your dog bite?
Beggar:  No, moisieur, my dog does not bite
Inspector Cloiseau:  what a nice dog (reaches out to pet him and gets bitten by the dog).  $#@$#$%$#$ I thought you said your dog did not bite?
Beggar:  It is not my dog...

Jean, it is not your thread, play nice...

Stan Dodd

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 04:49:51 PM »
Pacific Grove does not qualify.

Phil McDade

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 04:50:07 PM »
At least Mr. Kavanaugh is following directions, unlike most of the posts so far. Maybe folks missed the "no provisos" proviso.

Just to clarify, you live Anywhere, USA. You visit an 18-hole course, any day of the week (yes, that includes Saturdays) any time of year, and say, I want to walk 18 holes. They charge you $25 or less. (Mandatory golf carts, trollies, forecaddies and such are included in the $25.)

What's the best course you can play?

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 05:15:38 PM »
Memorial Park in my adopted home town of Houston is a nice value in the $18 - $30 range.  
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Tom Yost

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »

According to a thread on page one Apache is $55 with a coupon from the newspaper.

You misunderstood - not dirt cheap, it is dirt. Literally.  LOL!

Actually not a coupon, but the advertised rate and interestingly, it has been $55 for the entire year.  So while $55 is not a great bang in the summer, $55 in the winter (high season) is a pretty good bang.

The best bang for the buck I found this summer was an advertised special at the Raven @ Verrado - for $50 weekends/$40 weekdays - _Unlimited_ golf and _TWO_ meals in the restaurant (not just hot dogs either).

Not many bangs to be found in the Phoenix winter high season...  

Tom

Scott Szabo

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 05:18:40 PM »
I believe Wild Horse is more than $25, I think in the $40 range, but I could be wrong.  

Cross Creek, a course in Cambridge, Nebraska, charges $25 for 18 holes and is one of the fine courses that can be played in Western Nebraska.  It has recently undergone a change from nine holes to eighteen, with a wonderful new set of holes out in the dunes.  It has great contrast, with holes 1 and 6-12 the wooded parkland area, and holes 2-5 and 13-18 out in the dunes.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 06:53:54 PM »
Indian Canyon in Spokane, WA by Chandler Egan

An absolute gem with some great greens, tons of undulating fairways, and loads of fun.

Peak rate is $25

If you buy the Spokane County golf card which is only $50 its $16 IIRC to play.  Hard to beat that...

John Foley

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 07:12:15 PM »
My bad - I missed the sub-$25 peak rate qualifier.

next time I will read the instructions better.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Dan Moore

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 07:28:51 PM »
What Phil fails to point out is that the Spring Valley rate at $21.50 is an all day rate.  So yesterday when a group of us played 36 holes the cost was $10.75 per 18.  The course was playing damn good too, very fast and firm tee to green and running 9-10 or so, just about ideal for those greens where in some places balls did u-turns and headed in the opposite direction.  

Can a Bendelow possibly be in contention?  The H. Chandler Egan course sounds interesting.  There must be a few Ross courses out there that would qualify.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Phil McDade

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 07:35:48 PM »
Dan:

I was trying to be modest about SV's virtues, not wanting (of course) for it to be inundated.

John Kavanaugh's Evansville muni -- Helfrich -- is a Bendelow.

Dan Moore

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 07:59:47 PM »
John Kavanaugh's Evansville muni -- Helfrich -- is a Bendelow.

I knew that!

SV will never be inundated until it charges more.  That's one of the great things about it.  Maybe Eric will relate his story about the guys he recently tried to convince to pay a visit to Salem, Wi.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back