News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Christensen

Opinions on San Antonio Golf
« on: September 26, 2007, 04:04:33 PM »
heading back to the lone star state in November....playing Cordillera Ranch and Briggs.  Is there anything else worth seeing?  Pecan Valley, La Cantera and The Quarry have been mentioned by associates.  

Not heading up to Austin area..(even though the Salt Lick is a tough miss!)...so the better courses up there are out of the picture.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Bill_McBride

Re:Opinions on San Antonio Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
Keith Foster's Bandit up in New Braunfels (1/2 hour north) is worth a trip, and then over to the Gruene Hall for some Lone Star or maybe some Shiner Bock and maybe a little bit of boot scootin' or belly rubbin'.  

A golf day Texas hill country style.  Not bad.... ;D

paul cowley

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 06:00:54 PM »
Hal Sutton's Boot Ranch looked promising [I think JWL had a hand].

The course is about 40 minutes NW....depending on where you are of course. ;)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 07:45:11 PM »
I put up a thread with some photos of Oak Hills CC a while back. AWT design remodeled over the years but still a good place to play.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=27996;start=msg536499#msg536499

Pecan Valley was of interest as well, but not nearly as much as OHCC.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 07:50:42 PM by Jon Spaulding »
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »
I took a weeklong trip (36 holes per day) to San Antonio and Austin 5 years ago...we had a blast.

My faves in San Antonio were Pecan Valley...nice layout, good price, medium condition.  Canyon Springs was beautiful and well conditioned with a overall very good impression but I don't think any holes were particularly great and memorable.  The Quarry back nine has holes inside the old quarry and are beautiful and memorable, but the front nine was average or below.  La Cantera was great but expensive.

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 09:28:07 PM »
 8)

gruene hall, definitely.. classic gotta take it in once.. interesting bbq across street corner ..

pecan valley.. best value

palmer course over weiskoff/morrish @ la cantera resort

bandit as warmup on way into town

inside the quarry 9 .. play it twice

Canyon Springs, leaves you wondering whether you'd play it again..

tapatio springs 27 holes.. some good weekend deals. some great holes, some lacking, great setting

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:29:28 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 09:46:17 PM »
Michael,

Somehow, in a really boring conference week about a decade ago, I managed to play every muni in SA, as well as all the CCFAD's that existed at the time.

To those who've chimed in so far, I'd only add Ken Dye's Cedar Creek north of town in the Hill Country as a muni worth seeing, and mention that in-city courses like Brackenridge Park and Willow Springs had guys like Tillinghast and Bredumus involved, although I'd hesitate to report on their September conditioning.

Mickey Boland

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 02:11:35 AM »
All those previously mentioned, plus Silverhorn.  Second on Cedar Creek.  

I personally didn't like the Palmer course at La Cantera.  Front nine wasn't bad, but overall too many short par-4's with blind tee shots for my taste, especially on the back nine.

Pecan Valley has been refurbished in the last couple of years and is in much better condition than previous years.

Pepper steak and "gruene" beans at The Grist Mill next to Gruene Hall is the way to go.  Top it off with a Gary P. Nunn concert if he's at the Hall.  

Trey Kemp

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Michael-

I just played Briggs Ranch, Cordillera Ranch and Oak Hills last week and each of them were in great shape.  You will have a blast.  Pecan Valley is a soild course with alot of history,  La Cantera(original course) is a pretty fun course to play and as others have mentioned The Quarry has a great back 9 holes.  My only other thought would be to play San Antonio Country Club, its a Tillinghast course that was just redone by Brian Silva.  I have not played it, but heard it is a pretty nice course.  Have fun!  
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Trey Kemp

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 09:44:52 AM »
Sorry, I mentioned San Antonio CC was a Tillinghast course, but it was actually designed by Alex Findlay.
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

SL_Solow

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 10:40:31 AM »
I played San Antonio CC after the Silva work.  Its definitely worth playing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back