News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

County Sligo--The surprise of the trip
« on: September 26, 2007, 02:58:16 PM »
 I just reread Ran's profile. I recommend it. I played Lahinch twice; The Old and The Horrid at Ballybunion ; Enniscrone (36)and Carne before ending at Rosses Point.

At Rosses Point the weather was incredible---50 mph and steady gusting to levels that started my trolley rolling on flat terrain and constantly blowing my bag off the trolley if I did not place it exactly into the wind. Rain was sideways, but passed quickly so that throughout the round we were totally wet and totally dry 15 minutes later several times during the round.

Despite this , I thought the routing on that piece of land was among the top three or four I had ever seen. And that the architectural merits were highlighted by the tremendous wind. You really needed to think about where to hit the ball .

As Ran mentions, the course starts on the top of the hill. I didn't know the designer going in but on the first hole I knew it was Colt. The look was reminiscent of #1 at RPR. I saw the fourth hole as "redanish" because of the slope from front right to back left. I agree with Ran's comments about conditioning. The firmness of the fairway turf added to the challenge of executing shots.

The dramatic drop shot of #5 ,the Jump hole, was intensified by the wind that day. The use of the creek was well documented by Ran , but I would add the sparse use of bunkering as another simple idea well done at this course.

#9 , a short three, sits on a ridge and welcomes the shot over the green since the green slopes front to back. Although on this day I saw no way to do anything but go long!

#10 and#11 run parallel with both having tiered fairways. This broke up the flatness nicely.

#12 runs out to the Point. So, on this day it was impossible to get there in three.

I agree with Ran's comments on the remaining holes.

We wondered how the hell we were going to get back up that hill to the clubhouse.
    #17 is a classic hole that starts that ascent. I hit slightly short of two other guys who drove into the broken ground. They complained about getting screwed; I asked them if they had looked at the course map.

#18 was a blind shot well up the hill. This completed the ascent in a graceful fashion for us.

We thought that the white rock worked for the second shot to #17 as well as the tee shot on #18. Is this true? Are there other examples of this?

My impression was that it was a classic links, possibly more Scottish than Irish.

Why isn't it spoken of in the same sentence as Ballybunion, Lahinch, County Down, and Royal Portrush?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:59:42 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Sean Leary

Re:County Sligo--The surprise of the trip
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 03:06:17 PM »
Mike,

I played it this summer as well and really enjoyed it.  I didn't care for 17 myself, as I thought it would be a better hole if the broken ground was converted to fairway.

I like it significantly more than Carne, which I was rather dissapointed in. I think it a step below the big 4 myself, but not a big step.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 03:07:06 PM by Sean Leary »

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 03:28:23 PM »
 Sean,

I liked both Carne and Enniscrone as courses on the way to somewhere else. I didn't know when I put the trip together that it would be to Rosses Point. Both Carne and Enniscrone seem to be Lahinch Lite. They attempt to give you the feel of awesomeness without the intense difficulty. I think this an attempt to attract more golfers. Has golf marketing hit Ireland?

As I flew back yesterday I knew I could build a trip around Sligo.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 03:35:36 PM »
 As I played the course it had me thinking of the seasonality of links golf, hard and fast when dry with less wind followed by less firm but much windier later in the year. A good design works in both times.
AKA Mayday

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 03:48:28 PM »
I am surprised you did not mention #4, which is where the course really starts for me:

The greatest bunkerless par 3 in golf?

It is a little flat in spots so I am surprised that you love it based on your reviews of WF and BB. That said I agree with your assessment. It is lacking the dunes of Carne and Enniscrone if someone is looking for that. It is also the only course of the three that begins and ends in town in  a St Andrews sort of way and of course it has Yeats looking down from Ben Bulben:

Architecturally, it is the best of the three, but the terrain of Enniscrone and the remoteness of Carne are hard to beat. In the 10 round test of life, I am 3, 3, 3 with the 10th going to whoever has the best weather that day of the 10th round.

PS. I guess that invitation must have gotten lost in my spam folder.  :'(  :-*

John_Cullum

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 04:02:39 PM »
My good friend and fellow Hibernian Dan Sheehan played Sligo and enjoyed it.

I got word he died suddenly this morning. It was good that he was able to enjoy Sligo, Lahinch, Ballybunion, and all of the great Irish courses in his lifetime, as he was proudly devoted to his Irish heritage.

This post is not intended to be maudlin, just a permanent marker in cyberspace for a lost friend
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 04:23:06 PM »
My visit to Sligo two years ago was marred by inclement weather. I only got two images. #4 and #17. I look forward to a return visit.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 04:39:11 PM »

I got word he died suddenly this morning. It was good that he was able to enjoy Sligo, Lahinch, Ballybunion, and all of the great Irish courses in his lifetime, as he was proudly devoted to his Irish heritage.

This post is not intended to be maudlin, just a permanent marker in cyberspace for a lost friend

Well said John it's good to have happy memories of friends and loved ones. I have already posted on here about attending the funeral of a great family friend and one of the sweetest women you could ever have wished to know. She left instructions that she wanted her ashes scattered on the beach at Roses Point.  

I have Aiden's picture of 17 on my office wall and not a week passes without me pausing for a moment to think of her and happy times.
Let's make GCA grate again!

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 04:43:30 PM »
 I asked my group to rank the courses. Ballybunion-1, Lahinch 2, Carne-3, Enniscrone 4 (going from memory here, those two may have been flipped) Sligo 5 and The Horrid course at Ballybunion last.. I put Sligo #1 to try to keep it from the bottom.
AKA Mayday

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 04:45:16 PM »

I'm with Mayday.   17 What a hole.

Probably my first time on a links and I do remember the quality of holes varying, but it's well respected by top Amateurs in Ireland.  It’s where they play the West of Ireland Championship and I suspect the course has many sleeper qualities.

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 04:50:08 PM »
 Mike,

We stayed at Alice and Aiden's as you recommended ( I and two others stayed down the road a bit). Aiden is president of the club now. That I knew Mr. Sweeney went a long way to building credibility with Alice.

I focused much of my admiration on how the routing used the property in a very imaginative way. A very boring course could easily have emerged on that piece of land. Ran's mention of the varied use of the stream is to my point of a well routed course.

To play any course in such extreme conditions is a thrill.
AKA Mayday

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
 and The Horrid course at Ballybunion last..

Calling Neil Regan!

PS. He is a fan of BB New.

mark chalfant

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 04:55:49 PM »
 Hi mayday,
Im so glad  youre having  a good trip.  that does look like a great routing.  give me  a call when  you return to   Eagles country

Mark

mike_malone

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 04:59:39 PM »
 My characterization of the Cashen course was a phrase " RTJSR is an asshole!" Golf is supposed to be fun and the walk between greens and tees is meant only for Sherpas. I read that they are blowing it up. A ski resort, perhaps?
AKA Mayday

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »
Until I saw this photo I had never considered that 13, the short par 3 on the right, could have been a shot across water.  I certainly don't remember it that way.  Even with only a little wind off the sea, with the green below the tee, I managed to discover the burn behind the green.   Today I suspect the hole would be designed longer and the stream diverted or grassed over.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:05:45 PM by Tony Muldoon »

mike_malone

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 05:04:21 PM »
 Sean,

Ballybunion is my favorite as well. I got the tee time there first then built the trip around it. I wanted to get to the 3 NW courses for the first time. It was a mistake to drive from Ballybunion to Enniscrone on a Friday night---7 hours!!!

I wanted to have one word for each course. Magical was my Ballybunion word.
AKA Mayday

Paul_Turner

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 06:06:04 PM »
Sligo is playable in all conditions unlike Carne,  Ballybunion New.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Jack_Marr

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 10:03:22 PM »
Anybody ever play Strandhill?

Ciao

Strandhill is very enjoyable. Short and quirky, but well worth a visit.

Rosses Point is also very enjoyable. Kind of a Scottish course, I'd say.

Carne is very unusual. It seems to divide people. Many articles about the place declare it as the best courses in the world, while others are not that impressed at all. It's probably a course for a free spirit.

I have a friend who plays all over Ireland, and he believes that the Cashen course is much better than the old course in Ballybunion. It's a strange one too.

Lahinch and Enniscrone are my favourites from the list, I think.
John Marr(inan)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 10:11:01 PM »

John,

It sounds like your friend Dan was a very lucky man who got to taste a little of heaven before leaving this earth.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 08:14:28 AM »
Rosses Point wouldn't be much of a surprise to golfers here in Ireland. It has always been rated very highly. It generally would be rated the highest of the courses in the north-west.

As mentioned the 4th is a wonderful hole, 10 and 11 are an impressive piece of golfing terrain, and it was always noted for it's strong finish, from 13 in, nearly always into the prevailing wind.

Have plenty of memories of trying to hang on to a score going up 14,15,16 and 17 with march squalls, including plenty of hail, rolling in off the atlantic.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 12:18:14 PM »
Rosses Point was one of the many highlights of my trip to Ireland this month. The day was so NW Ireland. The first and third holes were played in rain suits with sideways rain and a very fresh wind. 5 and 7 rain and wind. The rest of the day was a dream. I find the notes above of the highlight holes to be in line with my thoughts. I put it in the top 6 in Ireland/Northern Ireland. I thought Enniscrone was the Cruden Bay of Ireland. It was wild, kinky and so fun.

tomgoutman

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 11:36:10 AM »
As one of the golfers who accompanied Mayday to Ireland, I want to express my thanks to Mayday for putting together a fantastic trip. Choosing "the best" from among the magnificent courses we played is impossible. My personal favorite was Lahinch because it had (in my opinion) the most interesting greens. Rosses Point is obviously a very fine course, but we played it in winds in excess of 50 mph. During the round, after Mayday expressed his enthusiasm for the course (for the fourth or fifth time), I said, "I'm sure it's a great course. I would really like to play it sometime...."

KBanks

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 04:31:08 PM »
Cetainly County Sligo should be part of any tour of NW Ireland. A wonderful course.

Tom Doak rates it a 7, a notch below Lahinch and Portmarnock, which seems about right.

Ken

Paul_Turner

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 07:18:28 PM »
Rosses Point wouldn't be much of a surprise to golfers here in Ireland. It has always been rated very highly. It generally would be rated the highest of the courses in the north-west.

Padraig

That was certainly my impression playing there about 15 years ago.  Sligo was always regarded as the top course of the region; hosting some big amateur events (we played it just after a Home International).  

Sligo was always fairly high in the magazine rankings too.  I recall it was in the 20-30 range in the old Golf World Top 50.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Bill Gayne

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 08:24:18 PM »
I participated in their "open" week four or five years ago and the membership that I met made it a pleasure.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back