News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

"Back Roads Scotland"
« on: September 29, 2007, 03:43:13 AM »
I thought this GD article on Scottish hidden gems is much better than that 'Bunkered' effort I moaned about the other week .

For a long time I have encouraged you people on here to play Forfar , and so far nobody has listened .

Now that it gets mentioned in GD has me worried !

http://www.golfdigest.com/courses/destination/2007/10/scotland

Dan Herrmann

Re:"Back Roads Scotland"
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 07:53:13 AM »
I really enjoyed that article.  So much better than their usual travel articles.

I loved the fact that the author fell victim to his desire to play TOC, made the call, found it closed, and happily played the local course.

It was a Wandering Golfer-esque moment.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 08:50:28 AM »
David Owens is an excellent writer. Thanks for the link, Brian.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 09:19:38 AM »
When I got to Cullen, late that afternoon, the sky was brilliantly blue, but the wind was blowing so hard that it not only knocked over my golf bag if I left it standing but once actually rolled it on the ground. I loved the course, though, and eventually joined (as the fifth player) a lively, welcoming group of older golfers from a club called Hopeman, about 30 miles west. This was their second round of the day, and they were playing a scramble, in competition with three other groups from their club. Most of them were carrying flasks, from which they were sipping a mixture of something and Drambuie -- I couldn't quite make out the recipe -- and their golf bags were so full of empty beer bottles that they clanked when the wind knocked them over. Toward the end of the round, one of the men asked, in a slurry brogue, "Wha hoe wah noo?"

This sounds like he bumped into the Scotish division of the "Hillbilly Tour".   ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 11:39:17 AM »
Brian -

Thanks for posting a link to the article.

David Owen is a very good writer. Anyone who has not read either "My Usual Game" or "Hit & Hope" is in for a treat. They are collections of essays and pieces he has written and are most entertaining.

DT

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 03:47:14 PM »
Most of them were carrying flasks, from which they were sipping a mixture of something and Drambuie -- I couldn't quite make out the recipe --

This sounds like he bumped into the Scotish division of the "Hillbilly Tour".   ;D 8)

They were most likely enjoying a favourite wee tipple amongst the out-doorsey set of Bonnie Scotland.
The only successful marriage of tastes with Drambuie is - well - WHISKY! Not a Single Malt, generally, but one of the blends is perfect. Bell's or Grouse is fine. Mixed 50/50 with the Drambuie, it makes what we lovingly call a 'Rusty Nail'. Quite dee-licious and most heart-warming on a chilly autumn or winter's day on the links. Yum!
My sporran flask oft contains the very elixir...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John_Cullum

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 04:32:38 PM »
Yes FBD, and the Rusty Nail is aptly named. It is the one cocktail guaranteed to pierce my skull the next morn. Very tasty though
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Gary Slatter

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 06:03:55 AM »
Brian, thanks for posting the link, loved the David Owens piece, can't wait to follow the trail.  We enjoyed Downfield last week, it certainly isn't as far off the well-beaten track but a fine combination of difficult and quirky holes.  Too many trees for most on this site though. :)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 09:03:23 AM »
Martin

In the good old, but now nearly long lost, days of the Burghfield House Hotel, the mixture was 1/2 Drambuie and 1/2 cask strength Highland Park malt.  Euan Currie dubbed it a "Kilt Lifter."

Ricardo

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 09:14:12 AM »
three parts whisky to one part drambuie is what makes a rusty nail though martin... can't let the drambuie drown out the taste of the whisky after all...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back