News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Making Strategy for Everybody
« on: October 02, 2007, 05:42:54 PM »
From Kalen's thread on distance:

"I don't have a clue where to put a fairway bunker anymore.  I hate the fact that we have to build courses longer every day just to keep pace with the equipment.  I'm tired of fighting it."

I have an idea, that, for most players, could help this solution.

What about tee boxes yet putting no tee markers on the boxes?

By doing so, a player could move forward or back a tee (or two) in order to play the hole in such a fashion where all the holes hazards and strategy come into play.   People would not feel a need to stick with a particular set of tees throughout the round, rather they could choose the tee that would make each hole the most fun and interesting, therefore maximimizing the strategy and intrigue of the course for players of all abilities.

Obviously, this solution would not help the long hitters as they would need to be on the back tees anyways, but for most people, this solution could work well.

Thoughts?

Pete_Pittock

Re:Making Strategy for Everybody
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:17:19 PM »
Jordan,
It would work except the USGA hdcp system wouldn't allow scores. I had the opportunity to play Bllyneal in August, Since it is an unrated course we were able to tee up at random. after a couple of holes we had established how much more carry my opponent had, so we settled into the habit of picking a yardage where he had little margin of error carrying bunkers, while I had to watch out for them at the end of my rollout. That worked out well.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 06:20:57 PM »
Since golfers take divots, and turf wears away, when groundskeeper Willie moves the markers we play from different areas of the tee boxes as it is.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:49:10 PM »
Since golfers take divots, and turf wears away, when groundskeeper Willie moves the markers we play from different areas of the tee boxes as it is.

Maybe its a bad idea.

But it remains just that.  A simple idea.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:12:47 AM »
Jordan,
If nothing else you have company in the idea, both The Dunes Club and Double Eagle don't use tee markers. Find a nice spot and fire away.

Also some courses like The Rim in AZ have a set of tees that does not physically exist but might be a combination of the other sets (9 holes from the tips and 9 from the second set up for example). Not altogether different from your idea, just that the course chose the tee for you and would allow you to turn in a score with a rating/slope if you so desired.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:14:39 AM by Andy Troeger »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back