News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

World's Best Tee?
« on: September 26, 2007, 11:05:39 PM »
Just to cover the bases, what tee - usually fairly utilitarian to be sure - has any design qualities to make it stand out above all others in your opinion?

PS- I won't add bunkers, because I know Mark and Forrest sort of covered that in their book....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Joe Hancock

Re:World's Best Tee?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:17:26 PM »
I prefer hand turned old growth maple, 2 3/8 inches long with two coats of varnish, thinned by 20%....cured for at least 3 months before use.

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 11:23:09 PM »
Rim shot, please!

Ken Moum

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 11:47:37 PM »
Gotta nominate 11 at The Old Course.

From that vantage, you can see so much of the links, it's a truly special place.

It was there that I realized how little I prize the seclusion often mentioned in course reviews of places like Sand Hills, which I not have played.

When I first read a description of it, I thought it sounded sublime, but I loved the collegial feel of St. Andrews Links, where you can often see a hundred or more golfers and caddies at one time.

The other thing about that tee is that it's height makes the shot into the green even more challenging when the wind is up. The first time I played it, the wind was stiff and I probably could have hit driver.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 11:54:10 PM »
#10 at Crystal Downs right off the clubhouse is a neat setting with a great view.

Before it was bulldozed the 16th at Island Hills in Centreville, MI literally had a tee that you had to walk about 30 yards across a tiny, scary little bridge to get to. The tee was barely large enough to fit a foursome of golfers on and was a little island in itself in the lake. Wish I had a photo, its NLE now as they took out that hole and replaced it with something mundane in comparison.

#8 at Lakota Canyon Ranch is unique in that walk up to it is so steep that I was literally winded by the time I got up there. Granted I'm not in the best shape in the world, but its up there!

In case anyone was wondering, the CD tee is my nomination, the other two interesting and unique.

Norbert P

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:13:02 AM »
 I do not claim it as the best, but it is one of my favorites.

The 12th @ Pac Dunes

Other mentionables . . .
The 15th at North Berwick
The Battery @ Machrihanish
#2 @ Traigh (near Mallaig)
#17 @ Barnbougle
#1 Sand Hills
#14 @ Bandon Trails
Ladies tee #9 Pacific Dunes    
and many at Chambers Bay
(and, of course, any Kaiser tees)

12th @ Pacific Dunes

Whenever I play there, and if I've got the time, I'll run to the back teeing area and see if I can putt a golf ball all the way to the front teeing area.  Sort of a Chutes and Ladders thing.

(This is an old picture - taken the year of opening. The old dead tree off to the left has now been reclaimed by the earth.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:15:40 AM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 12:14:44 AM »
Jeff, I can't think of any tee design's that stnad out per se aside from the runway RTJ tee's.

As far favorite tee's, here are a few of my favs.

18 at Pebble Beach
7th at Pebble Beach
5th at Pebble Beach
1st at Riviera
3rd at Spyglass
6th at Torrey Pines North
17th at Pelican Hill North
12th at Pacific Grove
16th at Coronado
8th at Arizona National
1st at Pasatiempo
12th at Stone Eagle
18th at Pauma Valley
15th at Barona Creek
11th at Sandpiper
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 01:43:59 AM »
BTW,

I am going with the Lighthouse Tee at Turnberry.

Michael Robin

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 01:51:15 AM »
How about the Widow's Walk tee on the 16th at Cape Kidnappers, or the back tee on the 17th at Cypress Point? Two of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Roger Tufts

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 02:54:49 AM »
#7 @ Ballyliffin Glashedy, although I'm not a big fan of the hole, you get to see EVERYTHING for miles and miles, including both courses at Ballyliffin.

#4 @ Royal County Down... there is a reason caddies suggest them taking a picture of every group before they tee off of that tee...

#1 @ Tedesco Country Club (Home Court woo)

#12 @ Myopia Hunt Club
#9 @ Myopia Hunt Club

#5 @ Royal Portrush
#14 @ Royal Portrush

#1 @ Northeast Harbor on a cold fall morning...
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 05:40:56 AM »
15th at Bamburgh Castle.

Sod the golf (though 15 is a pretty good bunkerless par 4 - downhill drive short of a valley, leaving a short iron off a downhill lie to a tricky green), take in the view.  You can see Lindisfarne Castle and Priory, Bamburgh and Dunstanburgh Castles, the Farne Islands with their lighthouses and Bede's hermitage and back into the Northumberland Hills.  Just spectacular and life enhancing.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Eric Morrison

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 06:26:30 AM »
#18 championship tee at Old Head
It is what it is.

John Sabino

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 08:07:21 AM »
#17 at The National Golf Links of America
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Brent Hutto

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 08:31:34 AM »
The seventeenth tee at Cypress Point Club is not only the best tee in the world, in my opinion it is the best spot in the world or at least in North America.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 08:37:09 AM »
#17 at Paa-Ko Ridge -- at least it's the highest tee shot I've ever tried.  

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 08:37:17 AM »
the 14th at connemara (ballyconneely) in ireland was the highest drop shot (par-5) with best vista (over the full course plus atlantic) i think i knew... amazingly, someone has constructed an even higher back tee that makes you feel like you are standing on the moon as it gives you a view over the rocky hills north as well...

...this is my nomination...

Jim Franklin

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 08:54:46 AM »
#17 CPC
#9 Turnberry (Ailsa)
#1 Sanctuary
#16 Pradera
#1 Pine Valley (you're at Pine Valley for God's sake!)
#12 Pacific Dunes
#4 Ballyneal
Mr Hurricane

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 11:04:16 AM »
""The isolated tee on the 203 yard 2nd vies with the launching pad on the 9th at Turnberry's Ailsa for "tee of the world" honors"" .

""Its no place for the faint of heart"" .

James W. Finegan

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 11:04:58 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Brian Noser

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 11:12:09 AM »
#17 CPC is mentioned I have to say #16 at CPC ranks up there as well.  

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 11:24:28 AM »
nice choice brian... i had forgotten about stonehaven... i almost went over the edge there during a "balls blowing off greens" junior competition many moons ago...

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 11:32:18 AM »
The 1st at TOC..The last time I remember being slightly north of terrified..

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 11:45:21 AM »
Aye Ally , it can be a bit exposed   :)

I wish I had a better photo to do it justice , but has anyone else 'launched' one off the 10th at Dufftown before , which has a wonderful aerial view of Glenfiddich .

Eric Smith

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 11:52:12 AM »
18th at Harbour Town
1st at Pebble Beach

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 11:59:43 AM »
#18 at Pebble Beach
#1 at Capilano.  Nice view of Vancouver.

henrye

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 12:19:27 PM »
Some good ones.
#18 at Kapalua
#4 at Banff
#4 at Sandwich
crazy #4 at Rye

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back