News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Re:Las Vegas Golf
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 10:30:42 AM »
A week vacation in Vegas ???

5 days too long......

Don't kids go to school anymore?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

David Stamm

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »

5 days too long......

You said it, Sean. :'(

I used to work there during the week and fly home for weekends. I did that for about 3 months and I'll tell you, that town gets old real quick.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jordan Wall

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 10:31:37 AM »

5 days too long......

I asked not to go.

Apparently I dont have a choice, hence my problem.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 10:45:47 AM »
A week in Vegas? Count me in! I can't get enough of it. Great food, decent golf, and a whole lot of interesting people to see.
Mr Hurricane

Brian Cenci

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2007, 12:47:49 PM »
Wolf Creek should be yur first choice.  For the cost and the quality and uniqueness of the course you won't be disappointed.  It's an acquired taste like Matt said, but for those who don't appreciate probably don't like hot wings either.

-Brian
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 12:48:30 PM by Brian Cenci »

Richard Choi

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2007, 01:51:44 PM »
To me, Wolf Creek is the only "must-play" in Vegas (Shadow Creek might be, but I am never paying $500 to play there).

I am with the crowd on 48 hours-max for Vegas. I start getting headaches from all the slot machine noise (which you cannot escape from) after that.

Only place where I have stayed longer and enjoyed my stay was at Lake Las Vegas. A beautiful place with much more relaxed pace (but also 45 minutes from the strip). I have played both courses there and all I can say is that they would be nice a place to play if the green fees were about $150 lower. For close to $300 a round (which I am guessing is what top 1 or 2% of the courses in this country is charging), I expect "once-in-a-lifetime" kind of experience and not ho-hum "it's nice, but nothing spectacular" experience you get there.

Jed Peters

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 09:29:35 PM »
Wow.

I just played the Falls course.

Absolutely the WORST piece of crap I've ever played. The local pitch and putt would have been better.

I was waiting when I was going to hit through the windmill on the back.

I feel raped by the fee as well.

Jesse Jones

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2007, 12:47:41 AM »
O.K. Jordan..
If you must play, Wolf Creek is a lot of fun.
Give yourself two hours to commute and warm up though.
I will also mention
The Palms pool also as another prime choice for getting a tan.
You've seen my tan. And I'm there and Mandalay working on it whenever possible.

Sean.
I'm more of a 72 hour guy in Vegas.
I like to go in the fall.
Bet football on Sat-Sun.. Golf on Monday-bet the MNF game and catch the late flight home.  

Jordan Wall

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007, 01:32:45 AM »
O.K. Jordan..
If you must play, Wolf Creek is a lot of fun.
Give yourself two hours to commute and warm up though.
I will also mention
The Palms pool also as another prime choice for getting a tan.
You've seen my tan. And I'm there and Mandalay working on it whenever possible.

;D ;D ;D

Jesse,

I'm like a girl as far as tans go (I hate my tan line!!!).  If I were like you though, tanning-wise, I'd be set for life 8) ;D

But, theres got to be more reason to go to a pool then for a tan.........

;D

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2007, 02:28:51 AM »
Matt Ward hit it spot on.

Boulder Creek is excellent, but be aware it is 35 minutes from the Strip - right near overpriced Cascata.

Make certain you play the original 18, the new nine has not matured yet. The golf course was a great surprise - I am high on it for terrific tee shot strategies and clever putting surfaces.

The Musical Muse taught and UNLV and lived right down the street, so this is not based on a single impression. Do not get suckered at ridiculous wastes of money like "Bali Hai." This would be my choice if you do not want to take a looooong drive . . . .

If you have a spare minute, I strongly suggest you visit Boulder City GC, right next door. If you ever want to see the ultimate cautionary tale of what happens when a city decides to take a decent muni and "fix it" in house.

This is not me being a snot, you need to take pictures . . . . . If the movie "Pink Flamingos" was a golf course . . . . . it is so bad, it's good.

If not, forget the golf- the Mandalay Bay pool is eye-popping. I got lost last time I was wandering around and happened into a separate pool for nude sunbathers, right above the main outdoor bar, tucked into a corner.

Hadn't seen anything that impressive since I was a drunk frat boy with a telescope and unobstructed view of the Theta House sun deck.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:35:58 AM by Gib Papazian »

rjsimper

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007, 12:18:41 PM »
Jordan,

Depending on when you go in November, my choice would be Paiute.  If you want the real deal, play the Wolf course there.

The catch is you have to do twilight, but November 1-18 its $110 for the Snow and Sun Mountain courses and $135 for Wolf.

November 19-30 is $90 for Snow and Sun and $105 for Wolf.

I recommend you pay the additional money for Wolf.

Richard Choi

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007, 12:21:10 PM »
Wow.

I just played the Falls course.

Absolutely the WORST piece of crap I've ever played. The local pitch and putt would have been better.

I was waiting when I was going to hit through the windmill on the back.

I feel raped by the fee as well.

You can't say you were not warned ;)

Perhaps I should start a new thread "What is the WORST Price/Quality Golf Course in the Country"?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 12:21:33 PM by Richard Choi »

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007, 03:20:30 PM »
Richard,

I do not hate the Falls Course quite as much as you because my vast experience with desert golf has lowered my expectations to the reality of trying to route a golf course on horrible land.

Last year, I attended a gathering of sorts at Lake Las Vegas and went out with the group for a spin around the Falls and was fortunate to sit with Weiskopf for several hours that evening.

I've come to the conclusion that the best you can do on a hideous piece of ground is just concede it is going to be a cart ball track and try to make it as entertaining as possible.

It is not a "great" golf course, but it is a good one in that by the end of the round, you have seen some weirdly original holes, a necessity of being given jagged desert land and challenged with conjuring up a design solution.

There is  Nicklaus Course there, but he had the benefit of more conventional land to deal with and the results were not bad. It was not Mayacama, but came out appropriate for the clientèle at the resort and  kept my interest from a strategic point of view quite well.

I guess what I am saying is that The Falls could have been a horrible mess like Pasadera - built on similar land as The Falls - and i am not sure it was possible to do much better given the constraints Weiskopf had to deal with.

One of the measuring sticks I use for a golf course is simply whether there were four or five holes that stick out in my mind months later that I found interesting, be it visually or strategically.

I can barely remember a single hole at Cascata unless I concentrate hard, and even then they all smush together in my mind because of their mind-numbing sameness.

Yet, #12-14 on The Falls were fun in a kinky sort of way; the golf course is like a backpacking trip in the mountains with golf clubs.

The problem - I think - is you cannot believe how much money gets charged to play golf in LV, relative to the quality. Lake Las Vegas is not about high tone golf design, it is a quasi-ritzy resort where you have to expect the proctoscope every time you open your wallet.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 03:22:00 PM by Gib Papazian »

Richard Choi

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 04:19:48 PM »
Hate is a strong word...

I don't think I would go as far as Jed and say that the Falls is the worst piece of crap I have ever played - that belongs to a local courses that will go nameless - though I certainly would not count it as one of my favorites or a course that I am excited about to play again.

And I have already posted earlier, I think both Falls and Reflection Bay are fine courses.... for $150 or less. I think at $275 a round I think these courses are near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to golf bang for the bucks.

And it is bit strange that hotels at Lake Las Vegas are actually fairly decent deals considering the settings and nice appointments. You can get a nice large suite for the same price you pay for a single room at Bellagio or Venetian.

Too bad, the golf course is not in the same league when it comes to value.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 04:22:27 PM by Richard Choi »

Jed Peters

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007, 12:27:18 PM »
Hate is a strong word...

I don't think I would go as far as Jed and say that the Falls is the worst piece of crap I have ever played - that belongs to a local courses that will go nameless - though I certainly would not count it as one of my favorites or a course that I am excited about to play again.

And I have already posted earlier, I think both Falls and Reflection Bay are fine courses.... for $150 or less. I think at $275 a round I think these courses are near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to golf bang for the bucks.

And it is bit strange that hotels at Lake Las Vegas are actually fairly decent deals considering the settings and nice appointments. You can get a nice large suite for the same price you pay for a single room at Bellagio or Venetian.

Too bad, the golf course is not in the same league when it comes to value.

Still I stand by my comments. I've played courses before that were over priced. Played desert golf. Played on courses that were routed on tough property.

But when you're looking at that price, for NO service (didn't meet us at the lower lot with a cart to pick us up, in spite of seeing us pull in, provided a shitty caddy that misclubed, misread, was unsure, course was in PUTRID condition not ready to come out of overseed) and NO design (especially when you plaid Paiute Wolf not 18 hours previous) that is "fun" to play and overly penal (fairways slope INTO desert), and the entire round we listened to LOUD construction equipment.

Oh yeah, you know the entire back 9 (including your precious 12-14) are getting surrounded by condos? Yep, condos. The best spot for them? about 200-275 out down the hill to the left on 14. Beautiful.

Bear's Best was also a travesty of a golf course, but at least that was only $95.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back