News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Policano

Plainfield Restoration
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:16:59 AM »
There is an excellent article by Ed Brockner on the restoration of Plainfield Country Club in NJ in the August 2007 issues of NJSGA Golf magazine.

Ed addresses the changes made by Gil Hanse by indicating how the course was originally designed, how and why it changed, how and why it was restored to original as applicable.  Each of his points were supported by quotes from the original architect, Donald Ross.

Example of the article, "This ongoing process resulted in a course that no longer dictates the line of play but now offers a variety of options that challenges all levels of golfers."  "While those selecting the more conservative play (now available after taking down trees) will not have to carry this daunting hazard, they will also face a longer shot with a more difficult angle to the green."

The article has a lot of concise one and two liners to explain the conditioning and playing benefits of fewer trees, angles provided by wider fairways, playing options provided by cutting down greenside rough, the increased hole locations and improved turf conditions of restored (generally larger) greens, and the risk and reward benefits of properly placed bunkers.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 10:18:27 AM by Mike Policano »

Mike Policano

Re:Plainfield Restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 11:33:16 AM »
You can access the article at www.njsga.org.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 09:47:26 PM »
Mike,

I was disappointed when Plainfield didn't get the Senior Open.

I was hoping that the TV exposure would showcase Plainfield and many of its neat features, especially the cross bunkering.

Plainfield was fortunate enough to have Ross's drawings and to have selected Gil.

As good as they golf course has gotten, it seems that the club stopped, when they could have continued improving the golf course.

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 10:02:44 PM »
Pat,

I don't know the course (unfortunately) but what more should they be doing to continue the course improvement?

Mike Policano

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 10:13:45 PM »
Pat,

I have been invited a few times but haven't made it over to PCC since the work was done. Like Wayne, I am interested in what else could have been done. I know another Hanse restoration where the club unfortunately chose not to do all the tree work, bunker additions and reshaping, chipping areas etc.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 10:28:53 PM »
Mike,

As good as they golf course has gotten, it seems that the club stopped, when they could have continued improving the golf course.

As I have alluded to several times over the course of this past season, Gil's work at Plainfield should be the absolute example of a contemporary restoration. I don't have the time to get into it now, but they have not stopped doing improving work, instead taking a momentary break in the ongoing master plan. The immediate result of all Gil's work has been the return of PCC to it's undeniable and lofty position of really being NJ's second finest eighteen. Very tough, but very fair, the layout now breathes and hums with the rhythms of a magnificent golfing adventure.

The members, for the most part, have been effusively positive and supportive of Gil's work and excited to see the master plan unfold.

Mike....get free for that day!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 11:06:33 PM »
Steve Lapper,

In terms of working on the golf course, what's the effective difference between taking a break and stopping ?   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back