News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

From Bauhaus to Golf Course
« on: September 26, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »
While looking for a picture of Shadow Creek's clubhouse, I stumbled upon this: "From Bauhaus to Golf Course: The Rise, Fall and Revival of Golf Course Architecture" -- by Steve Sailer, in "The American Conservative" (April 11. 2005) -- at http://www.isteve.com/Golf_From_Bauhaus_to_Golf_Course.htm.

Looks interesting.

Don't remember any discussion of it here.

Anything there?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:40:12 PM by Dan Kelly™ »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Pazin

Re:From Bauhaus to Golf Course
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 02:27:11 PM »
Previous thread

Ask and ye shall receive.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Norbert P

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
  http://www.isteve.com/golf_art.htm

"... golf doesn't attract as many literary intellectuals as baseball does. Golfers tend to overlap with football fans—prototypically, businessmen with a talent for getting things done but not terribly reflective. "  S. Sailer
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:57:39 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 03:21:31 PM »

"... golf doesn't attract as many literary intellectuals as baseball does. Golfers tend to overlap with football fans—prototypically, businessmen with a talent for getting things done but not terribly reflective. "  S. Sailer

Mr Sailer, allow me to introduce to you Mr. Max Behr, Mr Bernard Darwin and Mr Herbert Warren Wind........

I'd stack Geoff Shackelford, Tom Doak and Brad Klein up against anybody for present day examples.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 03:23:36 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Dan Kelly

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 03:46:18 PM »

Mr Sailer, allow me to introduce to you Mr. Max Behr, Mr Bernard Darwin and Mr Herbert Warren Wind........

I'd stack Geoff Shackelford, Tom Doak and Brad Klein up against anybody for present day examples.

You've gotta fit John Updike into that lineup somewhere.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 05:35:27 PM »
Add to the line up Arnold Haultain, Horace Hutchison, Patric Dickinson and (my dark horse candidate) Charles Price.

And those are just some more dead guys.

How about writers who are alive and well: Lorne Rubenstein, David Owen, John Strawn, Michael Murphy? I'm certain I am forgetting others.

No other sport comes close to golf in having so many "reflective" commentators.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:37:27 PM by BCrosby »

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 05:50:21 PM »
Its also hard to ignore the likes of Richardson, Brauer and Kavanaugh...err Barney...whatever...
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back