News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

What ever happend to Sleeping Bear Press/Clock Tower Press?
« on: November 28, 2007, 11:15:54 AM »
I am sorry if this was covered in the forum before but I couldn't find it with a search:

What ever happened to Sleeping Bear Press?  I found a story on the web saying that they sold their sports business to Clock Tower Press but the web site for Clock Tower Press seems dead.  Does that mean that this library of golf books is now dead?

wsmorrison

Re:What ever happend to Sleeping Bear Press/Clock Tower Press?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 11:19:58 AM »
Wayne,

Clock Tower's staff went to Ann Arbor Media Group.  Some are still there, I believe.  They've published some excellent books but I believe the golf architecture market is pretty well saturated and there was one pretty big economic failure that makes publishers a bit gun shy on the genre.

Most of the golf books by Sleeping Bear, Clock Tower and Ann Arbor can be found on Amazon, eBay, Alibris and other booksellers and at attractive prices.

Happy holidays.  See you after the thaw?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 11:27:56 AM »
Thanks Wayne - I have been keeping a look out for some of the books on Amazon, etc. but they are sometimes rather expensive.

I will definitely see you in the spring.

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 10:52:24 AM »
Wayne,
   What books are you looking for? I may be able to help.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

JohnV

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 01:20:58 PM »
Wayne,

Check out http://www.abebooks.com/ as well as the others that people mentioned.  They are middlemen for many used book dealers around the country.  I've found most of the books I've looked for there over the last few years at good prices.

Ken Moum

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 01:32:57 PM »
These folks always have a nice assortment of golf books, and often some GCA books, at great prices.

http://www.hamiltonbook.com

Right now they have "Tommy's Honor" for $6, which I found to be a heck of a good read.

They also have Missing Links, Lost Links, Lines of Charm and Book of Golfers.

Ken

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 01:34:32 PM by kmoum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 06:34:38 PM »
Wayne,
It is now Wiley/Clock Tower Press.

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-130122.html

Brad Klein

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 06:54:02 PM »
well, not quite.

Sleeping Bear Press went out of business in 2002 or so, very complicated story involving publisher Brain Lewis. His staff had already been splitting off, and some of them started up Ann Arbor Press/Sports Media Group, with a number of titles in golf, turf and architecture. But Clock Tower, a new company out of the southeast Michigan area, also came along and bought out much of the Sleeping Bear stock of architecture and reissued it all under its own name for 2002-2004 (that's when I worked for them as golf acquisitions editor). Tough business, and Clock Tower shut down in late 2005, with about half of their golf & turf titles bought up by Wiley Press out of Hoboken, N.J. I don't have complete list of their books, but they picked up, among others, my Ross volume and "Rough Mediations" as well as the Hurdzan volumes.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 06:55:59 PM by Brad Klein »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 07:34:53 PM »
Wiley published our book.  It was an original Wiley publication and not part of Sleeping Bear Press.  As most here know, it is very difficult to get a golf architecture book published.  Wiley still gets a fair number of requests but like Brad said, it's a tough business.  

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 08:45:01 PM »
I stand corrected Brad. That was the only link I had. But if you go to http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-WILEY2_SEARCH_RESULT.html?query=golf
you will find all Wiley books with 'golf' as the keyword search. It has links to 'turf management' and 'landscape design'.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 08:46:38 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 03:44:53 PM »
I've been lookin for a book, in the vein of Donald Steel's Classic Links of England, Wales, etc.", that features the heathland courses around London (i.e. Walton Heath, Sunningdale, etc.).  Or, one that covers the inland courses of the UK as opposed to the links.  Does anyone know of such a book?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 05:01:01 PM »
Wayne W,
That book by Steel was always one of may favorites.  I must have purchased 100+ copies over the years as it was my book of choice to give out as gifts to clubs I had visited.  I now give out a different one  ;)  

I can't think of a title that is just the inland courses but I'll give it some more thought.
Mark

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 05:03:17 PM »
Wayne,
You might try Grant Books http://www.grantbooks.co.uk/beta/index.php

Bill Gayne

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 05:17:23 PM »
I've bought some books from Classics of Golf. Never a problem.

http://shop.classicsofgolf.com/servlet/StoreFront

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 07:40:31 PM »
I've been lookin for a book, in the vein of Donald Steel's Classic Links of England, Wales, etc.", that features the heathland courses around London (i.e. Walton Heath, Sunningdale, etc.).  Or, one that covers the inland courses of the UK as opposed to the links.  Does anyone know of such a book?

Wayne

There is a title out there which includes many British inland courses, some of which are relatively unknown.  I had a peek through the copy and wasn't terribly impressed.  I think Philip Gawith and/or Tony Muldoon has a copy.  Perhaps they will pipe up with the title or you could IM them.

BTW Grant Books has gone by the wayside.  He sold out to another firm and concentrates on publication (many of which are bery well done).  Its another old time well known dealer down the pan.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 06:01:04 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 07:25:52 AM »
Sean the co Grant Books sold out to went under (Green Umbrella who also published the DVD/Video’s of old Opens.)  Someone has brought their stock and they wrote to me.  I circled several items and my wife asked what it was.  Haven't seen the list since!

The book I think Sean is referring to is Centurions of Golf.  I was initially skeptical as it reads like a collection of Magazine articles.  It's not always terribly strong on the development of the Architecture of a course.  However Philip was right to praise it on here. In those brief articles he does get most of the important/interesting things right about some very interesting courses/clubs, and it's a great selection that he's got together.  I have changed my position on this and would give it a (qualified) recommendation.  IT does in clue Links courses and the photography is not that impressive.

Finegan has written description of nearly all the best courses in his book on England and Wales.  “All Courses Great & Small”.  I wonder if there will be a follow up to “Where Golf is Great” as that only covered Ireland and Scotland, with excellent pictures.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 03:43:53 PM »
A source for used books is http://www.half.com which is owned by Ebay. They have many of the books on golf design but probably none of the rare ones.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 12:46:47 PM »
Wayne,
   What books are you looking for? I may be able to help.
How about The Toronto Terror?

p.s. Three Waynes in one thread.  That must be a record!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 06:13:40 PM »
Wayne K,
The cheapest price I can find is at Amazon, about $70. Being sold there and elsewhere up to $150. Original price was $35.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 07:31:37 PM »
How about The Toronto Terror?

Wayne,

I thought the Stanley Thompson Society was selling it, but they are not. They are contemplating issuing a soft cover version of the book if enough interest exists, so feel free to add your name to that list. I'd try abebooks.com periodically.

TK

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back