News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sebonac

Bayonne Golf Club
« on: September 24, 2007, 04:59:20 PM »
Check out this link for the new Bayonne Golf Club on the Hudson near NYC and the Statue of Liberty.  A friend of mine just played this and Liberty National.  This was his favorite by far....in fact he was ecstatic...he said it reminded him of the front nine at Port Stewart.  Looking at the pictures from the site...it does look spectacular.  Does anyone know much about it or about Eric Bergstol who developed and designed it?

http://www.bayonnegolfclub.com/#/guest_tour/

Dean Paolucci

Re:Bayonne Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 05:29:22 PM »
I have had the pleasure to play both and can categorically say I favor Bayonne.  If you did not occasionally see Manhattan or Staten Island you would think you were on a different continent.  Beautifully sculpted the original site was at sea level.  Today the highest point rise almost 150 feet in the air.  Bergstol has designed and built a number of other daily fee projects through his Empire Golf brand  http://www.empiregolfmanagement.com/about.cfm (Pine Hill, Pine Barrens, NJ National, Hollow Brook, Madison Greens, Twisted Dune, Branton Woods, and Minisceongo) but he designed, built, and owns Bayonne as his private enclave.  One of the true highlights of my 2007 golf calendar.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 12:02:41 AM »
Eric was primarily a builder when he hired Roy Case as the architect of Minisceongo in the early 1990's.  He developed his design "chops" working with Roy on that project, then again with Roy on New Jersey National in the mid 90's.
Having worked with Fazio and other architects as well, he eventually started doing more of the work himself.
I do know for a fact he did use Roy in some capacity at Bayonne, which makes sense considering Roy has been coined "the Lord of the Landfills" by Links Magazine.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 01:54:43 AM »
considering Roy has been coined "the Lord of the Landfills" by Links Magazine.

crack me up!  hilarious ::)
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back