News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Re:U.S. Mid-Am at Bandon Dunes
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2007, 12:08:32 AM »
Even though I lost on the 19th hole let me first say it was a tremendous day. I was more nervous waiting for the scores to come in this morning than I was during the playoff. The playoff was at Bandon Trails and started at #1. There was 1 birdie and four bogeys - I made par. So after the first playoff hole there now 5 people for four spots. On #2 I rifled a 3-iron just past the pin and just off the green. I was 2nd to last to hit my 2nd shot and put it to 6 inches. Since two guys were putting for from 20 feet I knew I was in. After the playoff I had about 2 hours until my match.

The weather was absolutely perfect today. On the 1st hole of match I drove 90 yards from the pin in the center of the fairway to a front left pin. Tim hit what looked like a good shot and I skulled it badly over the green. I left my putt from just off the green outside of Tim's 2nd and then missed my par putt. 1 down.

Tim it short right on two and was fortunate to stay up on top. Pin was back right. I then missed short left and rolled all the way down the hill. From a sand divot I hit a low sand wedge all the way up the back stop behind the green and rolled it back down the hill for a gimme. Tim chipped to gimme range as well.

On three we both halved missing makeable birdie putts.

Four I hit driver, four iron to a back left pin to about 15-18 feet. Tim missed middle left and chipped to about 6 or 8. I missed he made and was still 1 down.

On five we both hit the fairway. Pin was cut middle right and I missed right in the bunker. Tim was on about 25-30 feet. I hit an okay bunker shot to 12 feet or so. Tim ran his by about 6 feet. I made, he missed - all square.

On 6 we both hit the green with the pin cut in the front. I three putted from about 20 feet and Tim two putted. 1 down

On 7 the pin was in the front middle. Tim missed a relatively long birdie putt and I lipped out from about 20 feet. I thought for sure it was in. Still 1 down.

On 8 the pin was back left. I hit 9 iron to 30-35 feet and Tim then hit a wedge about 50-60 feet. He came up 6 feet short and I made to get back to even.

On 9 Tim hit it about 75 yards short in two and I was about 45 yards from the pin in two. He hit it to about 3 feet. I then hit it to about 6 feet. We both made - still even.

On 10 I drove left of the last central bunker and Tim went left. I had 156 and hit a cut 7 iron to about 12-15 feet. Tim was about 20 feet. He missed and I made (for my third birdie in a row) to go 1 up.

Pin was just short of middle on the right on 12. I hit it in the left pot bunker. Tim was on about 15-18 feet of the hole. I hit a good bunker shot to 6-8 feet. Tim missed I made to halve and stay 1 up.

On 13 I laid to 100 yards just in the right rough and Tim hit in the swale short right of the green in two. The pin was middle left in the bowl. My third was about two feet short of going down into the collection area were the pin was. Tim left his well short then ran his putt 6 feet past. I three putted for the second time from less than 20 feet and lost the hole. All square.

Fourteen the pin was fron left. I pulled a wedge badly and missed the green left. Tim hit it two about 10-12 feet. I came up four feet short and he made. 1 down.

Fifteen the back was slightly back and on the left. Tim just missed going in the deep bunker on the right. I hit it to about 15-18 feet. He missed and I made (I heard it was only the second birdie of the day on the hole) - all square.

Did I say 16 was an easy hole? I hit my drive a little right of where I wanted and ended up in the rough on the ridge bisecting the fairway. Tim was in the top fairway. I hit in the hazard long right. Tim wedged to about 20-25 feet. I then dropped and putted from the fringe about 6 feet past the hole. His lag was about 3-4 feet away. I missed for a double and conceded. 1 down.

17 the pin was back right. We  both were on in two but about 50 feet away. I lagged first to about 3-4 feet. I lagged it to gimme range. I made to keep the match going. 1 down.

On 18 Tim had run out of tees. He said, "I hate to ask this but I can borrow a tee?" I said sure. Before he hit he said, "After you birdie this hole I'll need another tee from you on 19."

We both hit good drives. I had 260 to the pin and hit first, putting it just left of the green, about 35-40 feet away. Tim went for it in to and put it the most right bunker short of the green. His bunker shot didn't get over the ridge. I lagged to gimme range and he missed. All square and on 19.

I asked the observer if we could play 19 now or if we'd have to wait until the morning. He said if we got a ball in the air before the horn blew we could play the hole. I ran to the tee and hit a good drive. Tim picked up a broken tee off the ground (he didn't want to borrow one from me again). As he set up the horn blew, but we were allowed to keep going. I was about 10 yards ahead of where I was the first time we played the hole and Tim was about 10 yards behind me now. I went up the hill to see where his 2nd shot was and could tell it was close. I hit a good shot to about 20 feet pin high right. I thought the putt was downhill but I guess it was uphill as I came up three feet short. (My hear was going a mile a minute and I had to take extra time reading the putt just so I could calm down.) Tim made it from about 12 feet to win the match.

So of the five holes Tim won in regulation, he only won one with a birdie. The other four I three putted from 20 feet twice, skulled one over the green on the first, and hit in the hazard on 16 from 115 yards. Four of the five holes I won were with birdies. I birdied five holes from 8 to 18. While I lost, I came away knowing I can play with anybody in this tournament.

Tim was a great competitor and I had a great time. Just wish I was playing tomorrow. I can't wait for next year.

JESII

« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2007, 08:54:17 AM »
...While I lost, I came away knowing I can play with anybody in this tournament.

Tim was a great competitor and I had a great time. Just wish I was playing tomorrow. I can't wait for next year.

This says it all Steve, well done!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2007, 09:17:03 AM »
I absolutely concur with JES - that last part does say it all.

Thanks again for the reports, Steve - it's been very cool following you.  Well done.

TH

BCrosby

« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2007, 09:40:02 AM »
Well done. Very exciting. It was a delight following you the last several days.

If you are staying in Bandon, please continue to share your thoughts on the courses and the matches.

Thanks,  Bob
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 09:42:23 AM by BCrosby »

Jason Topp

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2007, 10:49:39 AM »
Steve:

Thanks for taking the time to comment.  It really brings these events to life when someone takes the time to do this.  

So . . . which course do you like better?  Do you think playing in a tournament is a good way to determine the architectural quality of a golf course?  

Doug Wright

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2007, 10:52:11 AM »
Well done Steve, great playing and thanks very much for posting your thoughts on here.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jed Peters

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2007, 11:33:05 AM »
Steve:

Thanks a ton for your breakdowns here on GCA.

Means a lot, and I was tied to your postings for a couple days there.

Thank you.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2007, 11:42:05 AM »
Great posts, Steve

Congratulations and Commiseration.

Look forward to next years posts and hope they go on for a few more days than this year..

Rich

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2007, 11:44:26 AM »
Thanks for the reports, Steve - 'twas a pleasure reading them.

Cheers,
Darren

Dan Kelly

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2007, 11:57:38 AM »
I came upon this thread just this hour, alas!

But it's great stuff -- even for a guy who's never been to Bandon.

Thanks, Steve. Play well next year, too.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Steve Kline

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2007, 02:17:21 PM »
I really appreciate everyone who was following me. After the playoff yesterday I met Ran's brother Jon Morrisett. He was the one to inform me who I was playing and at what time. I saw the name and asked if he was related to Ran. He said yes and I told him I was a GCA member and posting about the tournament on the site. He asked if any of the geeks here, er supremely astute golf course architectural aficianados had asked me about the architectural merits of the courses for tournament play, etc. I just laughed.

Playing in a tournament is a poor way of judging the merits of architecture for me. While in practice rounds I am tryiing to see features to play for or guard against, once the tournament starts I'm too focused on my play and the results to think design.

Yesterday was the most gorgeous day at Bandon. Beautifully sunny, relatively warm, and minimal wind. On holes 4 and 12 the sun was shining through some fog, making both greens barely visible. Those two views/moments were very mystical. I even commented to my dad that they were something out of the book Golf In the Kingdom.

BT was definitely a harder course than BD. I think I liked BT better. BT had a better variety of holes and more interesting green complexes imo. BD seemed very reliant on wind to make the holes unique - otherwise many par 4s seemed to be the same distance. I like the setting of BT better as well - some dunes holes, forest holes, prairie holes, etc and more up and down terrain. The only thing it lacked was ocean holes. Standing on the 1st tee of BT and behind the 1st green on a dune while the second five some in the playoff was playing afforded some tremendous views. I started thinking about what land that I saw Mr. Keiser owned and what great golf holes might exist out there.

I'm really pulling for Tim to win now so I can say that I lost to the champion.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2007, 02:48:57 PM »
Steve,
It was fun reading about your experiences. I hope you get to play a round at Pacific Dunes, or the Sheep Ranch while you remain.

Steve Kline

« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2007, 03:08:20 PM »
I'm leaving for a business trip in Albuquerque today. I'm at the Eugene airport now.

On the 17th hole of my match I was telling Tim how I struggled the first few holes of the first round and how I got the bad end of the weather draw. He then said he was going to ask me how I managed to shoot 151 when I was playing so well.

When we finished he said he hoping he would get someone that would shoot 78 and he'd have an easy win. He said every time he went 1 up he thought I'd go away and then I'd turn around and make a birdie.

I really can't explain how much fun this was. Just the pure competition of it was such a thrill. My heart wasn't really going on the putt to extend the match on 17 or anywhere on 18. But on that putt to birdie on the 19th it was really going and my breathing was really fast. It was hard to settle down. I saw Tim about 10 minutes after the match (he was being interviewed) and I congratulated him again. I was really fighting to hold back a tear because I knew the week of fun was more over more so than that I had lost. Then when I went to McKee's and saw John Vander Borght he said I was a celebrity on GCA. Then I saw everyone here was pulling for me and all the emails from family and friends at home - it was overwhelming. Obviously everyone wants to win, but this isn't the living of anyone in the tournament. I think that's what makes this tournament so special.

George Pazin

« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
Thanks for all the updates, Steve, it made for fun and interesting reading.

Tim is Phil's brother.  Interestingly I've heard he plays right-handed, but writes left-handed.

Other golfers that exhibit this characteristic:

Johnny Miller
I think Ben Hogan

and, of course, me.

I'll take physical anomalies for $1,000, Alex.

Answer: Johnny Miller, Ben Hogan and George Pazin

Question: Who are 3 golfers who write left handed and play right handed?

The one and only thing I have in common with those guys.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JESII

« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »
Question: Alex
George Pazin
Ben Hogan
Johnny Miller

Answer: Sully
Who are three people that have never been in my kitchen?

Ding ding ding...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2007, 04:12:09 PM »

Question: Alex
George Pazin
Ben Hogan
Johnny Miller

Answer: Garland
Who are three know it alls?

Ding ding ding...
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2007, 04:12:44 PM »
Did I forget to put the smiley face on that last post?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JESII

« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2007, 04:13:14 PM »
I didn't realize until I saw it typed on yours that I screwed up where the question and the answer were...oh well, still cracking myself up...

Dan Kelly

« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2007, 04:52:19 PM »
Category: SHIRTS

Answer: Ben Hogan, George Pazin and Johnny Miller

Question: What are ... sport, tee, and stuffed?

Doug Wright

« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2007, 05:18:21 PM »
Steve,

Looks like your opponent Tim Hogarth survived another tough match (20 holes) to advance. His opponent today birdied 17 and 18 to send it to extra holes.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Ken Moum

« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2007, 05:24:15 PM »
Tim is Phil's brother.  Interestingly I've heard he plays right-handed, but writes left-handed.

Other golfers that exhibit this characteristic:

Johnny Miller
I think Ben Hogan

and, of course, me.

I'll take physical anomalies for $1,000, Alex.

Answer: Johnny Miller, Ben Hogan and George Pazin

Question: Who are 3 golfers who write left handed and play right handed?

As a leftie who plays right-handed, I tried to verify some of this a couple of years ago, and Hogan appears to have been right handed.

Curtis Strange and Greg Norman are both left-handed. As are JoAnne Carner and Beth Daniel.

Bob Charles and Phil M. are right-handed. And Mike Weir writes right-handed.

AFAIK, no natural lefthander has ever won a major playing left-handed.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

George Pazin

« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »
Thanks for the info, Ken.

I liked it better when it was Hogan, instead of Strange, Norman, et al - thanks for bursting my bubble. :)

There's nothing natural about lefties...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Kelly

« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
I liked it better when it was Hogan, instead of Strange, Norman, et al - thanks for bursting my bubble. :)

Coulda been Mac O'Grady.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2007, 05:58:31 PM »
Thanks for the info, Ken.

There's nothing natural about lefties...

Yep, they be supernatural.

Jim Colton

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2007, 07:49:49 PM »
Steve is mentioned indirectly in the caption of Hogarth currently up on the Mid-Am site.

"Tim Hogarth 41, of Northridge, Calif., had a second extra holes match Tuesday morning at Bandon Dunes. He's the 1996 Amateur Public Links champion who he carries his own light golf bag. "I only take three golf balls," he says. "If I need more than that I'm going to lose any way." (Steve Gibbons/U.S. Golf Association)"

I guess the minimalist approach is consistent with him running out of tees in Steve's match.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back