News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Spets

Mickelson will have his own NC mountain course
« on: September 21, 2007, 01:11:26 PM »
from THE COLUMBIA STATE:

Mickelson’s ‘first.’ First Tiger Woods decided to build his first American course in the Carolinas. Now Phil Mickelson, Woods’ top rival for No. 1, will design River Rock Golf Club in Cashiers, N.C., as the inaugural course for his new design firm.

The course, scheduled to debut in 2010 (about the same time as Woods’ The Cliffs at High Carolina near Asheville), will be set on a 4,000-acre site at between 2,250 and 4,250 feet altitude. Elevation changes include a 114-foot descent on the fourth hole and a 74-foot ascent on the 11th.

“My commitment is to creating the highest quality courses,” Mickelson said in a release. “To do that you need to find the most beautiful landscapes available ... (and) we’ve done that in the mountains of North Carolina.”

Phil Mickelson Design was launched in January, but Mickelson in 2001 designed a course at Whisper Rock in Scottsdale, Ariz., ranked 67th in Golfweek’s Top 100 Modern Courses.

Willie_Dow

Re:Mickelson will have his own NC mountain course
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 01:36:05 PM »
Doug:  Tommy Williamsen brings this up on his posting of Mickelson, the architect (designer), if you bring up his introduction of "The Wire".

What is it like to play in the mountains, anyway ??

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 02:39:34 PM »
from THE COLUMBIA STATE:

Elevation changes include a 114-foot descent on the fourth hole and a 74-foot ascent on the 11th.

I take it there won't be walking.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 04:38:35 PM »
My understanding was that Phil had already done a second course in San Diego as well.  His client here is just using the word "first" to stay even with Tiger, even though it's a lie.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 04:47:43 PM »
At dinner the other night my wife asked me what Tiger was going to do when he grows up.  Personally I'm guessing run for President but when I mentioned golf course architecture, my wife, who knows nothing about golf but a lot about design and landscaping, asked how all these tour golfers could possibly know what you need to know to be an architect.

I just thought it was interesting that someone who doesn't have an ax to grind would respond in this manner.

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 05:38:38 PM »
My understanding was that Phil had already done a second course in San Diego as well.  His client here is just using the word "first" to stay even with Tiger, even though it's a lie.

Where Tom? That's news to me. I haven't heard a thing here.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 09:33:47 PM »
I had heard this rumor a few months ago here, but didnt know where it was going to be exactly.  I was in Cashiers playing today, I wonder where this development is going to be exactly.

Calling Adam Messix.  I know it is your sisters wedding this weekend, but that doesnt give you a pass.  Being the Mayor of Cashiers as you are, I am sure you know exactly where this is going to be.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Adam_Messix

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 09:29:22 AM »
Darryl--

The River Rock course is going to be about 15-20 minutes North of the Cashiers Crossroads in Tuckasegee.  The location is west of NC 107 and east of Cullowhee Mountain Road in the hills.  River Rock is going to be a very large (on several different parcels) and ambitious development, I hope they do well.  The site looks really severe, but I thought Mountaintop's site was severe and it turned out really good.  River Rock's offices are in Cashiers, hence their address.  I've heard that they are shooting for a 2010 opening.  

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:30:14 AM by Adam_Messix »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 09:41:53 AM »
Darryl--

The River Rock course is going to be about 15-20 minutes North of the Cashiers Crossroads in Tuckasegee.  The location is west of NC 107 and east of Cullowhee Mountain Road in the hills.  River Rock is going to be a very large (on several different parcels) and ambitious development, I hope they do well.  The site looks really severe, but I thought Mountaintop's site was severe and it turned out really good.  River Rock's offices are in Cashiers, hence their address.  I've heard that they are shooting for a 2010 opening.  

Now that folks is the kind of high quality information that we are used to getting here on GCA.  You make a request on the weekend of some guys sisters wedding and you still get a prompt and detailed response.  Very nice Adam.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:42:10 AM by Daryl "Turboe" Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 09:44:09 AM »
What the NC Mountains need besides all these golf course communities is some type of City Place development so there is enough shopping, restaurants, movies, etc., to attract the woman element.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Shimp

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 11:59:09 AM »
I've been hoping that a designer that has a simpler more natural taste would design something in NC.  We have a lot
of development going up with tremendous money having been/being spent but a lot of it is in flashy, extremely expensive designs/communities that have produced good courses but not the kind the I and some others are interested in.  High end recent courses in the NC mtns include Mountaintop in Cashiers (very high end Discovery land development with a supposedly real strong Fazio but riding is a must), Brights Creek in Mill Spring (another strong Fazio from the Forest Creek folks but once again riding a must), a new Bobby Ginn place in Blowing Rock/Boone with a Tom Kite? design (cant think of the name), Mickelsons new venue, and the Cliff's which are up to 7 or so courses but most/all are cart ball with former golf pro designers.  

NC mountains courses used to be marked by charming, walkable designs mostly by Ross ( Linville, Roaring Gap, Highlands) but also by Ellis Maples (Grandfather, Boone), Wade Hampton by T. Fazio before he was king.  If I were a developer....

Adam_Messix

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 04:45:34 PM »
Cary--

There is PLENTY of shopping up here, some of it you have to know where it is, but most of it is on Main Street in Highlands.  It's almost entirely high end stuff with the occasional (and obligatory) hiking store thrown in.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back