News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Guess where?
« on: September 19, 2007, 09:25:10 PM »
Thought this would be a fun exercise. Guess the course and architect.

BTW, this would've been a cool car ad.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

cary lichtenstein

Re:Guess where?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 09:27:53 PM »
George Thomas

LACC?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

paul westland

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 09:29:31 PM »
que pasa... mac?

C. Squier

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:30:56 PM »
George Thomas - Ojai Valley Inn

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 09:34:16 PM »
I couldn't get it and I played the hole within the last month. :'( My lovely bride guessed it right away; probaby because she shot 88; I don't think I'll  have a had time convincing her to go back.  :D
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 09:36:47 PM »
The arch was easy I guess. Now the course.....
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 09:40:11 PM »
Are those whitewalls and early mag wheels?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 09:50:08 PM »
A hint: This hole does not exist any longer in the shown form, from what TN has told me. The course it was part of is very much still around. LACC and Ojai are good guesses, but wrong.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
One of the Griffith Park courses. Perhaps a tristadecaphobia hole? Maybe later in the round?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 10:23:56 PM »
Sorry Adam, both courses at GP are incorrect.

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 10:55:19 PM »
Could that be the 5th at Bel-Air?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 10:59:53 PM »
My first thought was: the hole at Riviera that Rich Beem aced and dived atop the Nissan.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 11:10:16 PM »
This hole is #5 at Bel Air  The picture was taken from the front yard of Barbara Hutton's house which is the white brick English tudor.  The picture used to be displayed in the men's locker room and a couple of local houses

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 11:26:20 PM »
Mike and Robert, well done. You are both correct. There is something about the look of the hole that is so right to my eyes. Maybe it's my biased opinion, but the hole looks like it was wonderful.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 04:38:04 AM »
out of interest, why was guessing the architect easy?... what features pinpointed this picture as a george thomas design?

thanks

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 09:16:46 AM »
Ally:

I guessed California right away (from the fauna and the ravine)and then sort of logically thought of Thomas, mainly because of the style of bunkering that has a "Thomas" look -- his bunker work is really artful (arguably the best-looking of the classic-era GCAs), and often features those rounded peninsulas of turf that extend into the bunkers itself.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »
thanks phil... that explanation helps... need to go off and read more about thomas...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 10:42:36 AM »
It also looks a lot like #15 at Pasatiempo.  And there are some great photos of Cypress Point with Dr MacKenzie's Packard roadster prominently displayed in Geoff Shackleford's book on the golf course.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 11:08:25 AM »
in my ignorance, pasatiempo would have probably been my guess... not really knowing much about thomas, there doesn't seem to be anything in that bunker that looks different to some of mackenzie's bunkering...

...you live and learn i suppose...

Michael Dugger

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 11:13:30 AM »
Ally

They are similar, the bunker style of Mac. and Thomas.

Thomas has a little more "whirlygig" thing going on, as Tom Doak called it in his book.

The background is also an indicator, that looks like socal terrain to my eye.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Phil McDade

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 12:44:42 PM »
Ally:

I almost included a reference to Mackenzie's bunkering in my original post, as his bunkering has often been compared to Thomas'. Mackenzie's most famous bunker -- the one on the 10th hole at Augusta National that used to front the green there before the green was moved back, making the bunker a sort of museum piece (nice to look at, but not in play for the Masters at least) -- is sort of oddly out of character with the rest of the bunkering at Augusta, which is very strategic but somewhat plain when compared to the one at 10.

To me, Thomas' bunkering (from the ground) has a very distinct look, and is one of the hallmarks of his architecture work. It's like the very distinct look of a Langford/Moreau bunker on some of their better-known works, such as Lawsonia.

David Stamm

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 01:17:19 PM »
Everyone needs to keep in mind that Bell was largely responsible for the look of the bunkers that have been attributed to Thomas. While Thomas designed the overall, in many cases the details such as the bunkers were left in the hands of Bell. This was a good thing, as Bell demonstrated his wonderful creativity with the look of the bunkers as well as combining that creativity with the Thomas' design strategy. It was quite a formidable duo.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back