News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Spaulding

Re:Los Angeles Country Club North-Pics
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2007, 06:23:08 PM »
Hey, I thought we weren't going to discuss #2 in protest for it being the most screwed up hole on the North! And a few other reasons...

Someone please confirm what the hole used to look like.....I believe a longish par 4 with tee in similar position and green at the base of the hill on the LH side where a clump of trees sits today, correct?
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

David Stamm

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2007, 06:31:38 PM »
This is info is from The Captain:

2nd hole could be played as a par 4 ranging from 420 yds to 450 yds. When the hole was played as a par 5 it played at 470 yds. GS describes it as a short, classic risk/reward par 5 from that tee.

How was the "Wamp"?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2007, 06:55:38 PM »
I enjoyed the Wamp....although Ross screams from the grave in a number of places. A bit better than Peninsula :-\. I promise to have a thread next week as I took a number of photos.

See if you can find a schematic of the old #2 from any of the Jedi Masters......we should have looked for the greensite before we headed up to the 3rd tee. Oh well, just a reason to head back out there :P.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2007, 01:49:53 AM »
The current 18th hole says to me;

Ok...you were lucky to get to see so much of George Thomas's genius in one place, as tempered and modified by time as it might be.

So...scurry along...show's over folks.  

Don't let the lockerroom door hit you on your way out.

Could they do anything to make the 18th hole better?  Routing-wise, or features, or the green, or hazards?  

Do the architects have any opinions about this?  

ed_getka

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2007, 03:35:04 AM »
David,
   Thank you for making the effort of sharing this with us. Looks like some really interesting land there.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2007, 05:35:53 AM »
I am not a fan of flat fairways to a slightly elevated green but I can now see what happens when the green is the same level as the fairway with the 18th at LACC. So what are the options to make the hole better? You could lower the green and build up bunkers around it, much like No. 16 at Riveria. Or you could build up the green and make it crowned (but that wouldn't fit in with the rest of the course).

You could add a lake to the hole (of course, that wouldn't fit in either).

I can't think of a good way to improve the hole without creating something that would contradict the Captain.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2007, 06:08:06 AM »
David,

Although a member at Riviera,  I played LACC for years as my in-laws were members there. I thought the 18th hole was quite the weirdest hole in Southern California. Quite the flattest and least interesting finishing holes of any in the LA Basin.

Bob

Bob, which course did you like more?  Can you tell us why?  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back