News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeffrey Prest

Course websites that flatter to deceive
« on: September 15, 2007, 03:49:29 PM »
You know how some movies are nowhere near as good as their trailer?

I wondered if anyone has encountered a similar misrepresentation with golf course websites. What would you say is the biggest discrepancy you've ever seen between the magnificence of the website and the paucity of the course?  

Kevin_Reilly

Re:Course websites that flatter to deceive
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 04:15:21 PM »
Johnny Miller re-designed his website, so the page that describes The Bridges at Gale Ranch (San Ramon, CA) as inspired by Royal Dornoch is no longer available for view.  That would be the winner of this contest.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 04:47:08 PM »
I can't imagine what JM was thinking to make that comparison. If I listed 5,000 courses that The Bridges reminded me of I still wouldn't have put down Royal Dornoch.

I don't pay any attention to course websites or any type of marketing about golf courses. I just come on here and ask and learn what the real deal is.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:54:42 PM »
Well it ain't this one.

http://www.megavision.net/occ/
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 08:18:55 PM »
I used to like the billboards for Wild Pines GC in the Poconos that featured a picture of Wade Hampton.   ;D

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 08:55:12 PM »
Highly OT and a long, long, longshot but, Kevin, you aren't the Kevin Reilly who played centre-forward for Spennymoor United soccer team in north-east England 30 years ago, are you?

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 12:25:57 AM »
The Ranch

theranchgc.com

Matt's rule of golf course selection: If every advertisement for a golf course shows the same single hole, don't go play that golf course!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 02:54:55 AM »
Highly OT and a long, long, longshot but, Kevin, you aren't the Kevin Reilly who played centre-forward for Spennymoor United soccer team in north-east England 30 years ago, are you?

Too bad (for me), that indeed is an out-of-the-money longshot.   :)

I am the coach of a 4th grade soccer team right now that is undefeated and has not been scored on.  Rugby though became my favorite sport in college and beyond, and right now I am trying to figure out a way to get to Paris and Edinburgh with a bunch of friends who are traveling from Calif to see Ireland/France and the NZ/Scotland in the RWC.  Short road trip.  :)  Doesn't appear right now that I'm going to be able to make it.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 05:59:52 PM »
The Ranch

theranchgc.com

Matt's rule of golf course selection: If every advertisement for a golf course shows the same single hole, don't go play that golf course!

Thanks for the nomination, Matt. I've blogged it and your 'acid test' is the current incumbent of the 'What I Read' section of my homepage. Great call.

I've looked at both The Ranch's website and photos of the course on Flickr.com and I have to say I'm intrigued. It does look sensational. Exactly where does the reality fall short in your opinion?

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 06:02:56 PM »

Too bad (for me), that indeed is an out-of-the-money longshot.   :)

Oh well. Thanks  for putting me out of my misery, anyway. Best of luck with the coaching.

John Keenan

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 11:03:18 AM »
When ever I am looking at a courses web site I keep in mind that the site is to a large extent a marketing tool. Marketing is the art of telling the truth in a good light. Caveat Emptor
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 11:20:43 AM »

I've looked at both The Ranch's website and photos of the course on Flickr.com and I have to say I'm intrigued. It does look sensational. Exactly where does the reality fall short in your opinion?

Photos can be deceiving, even the unretouched ones.

There have been a few topics here on The Ranch the going into detail about the Ranch which include the deception of yardage distances.

I would start by taking a look of the Google Aerial of the ranch, I believe the carts are 4-wheel drive and come stocked with provisions for 3-days.  

Or better yet, go to Google Earth, go to San Jose CA, activate the terrain view and get a 3D view of the property.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back