News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brock Peyer

Re:If you could only play one course...
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 09:26:44 PM »
Keep in mind that I am a Georgia boy so I may be a little biased but I could play Cuscowilla for the rest of my life.  I am not going to list reasons as the course has been discussed endlessly here, I doubt that anyone would regard it as a bad pick.  For me, bottom line, it is pure basic golf, nothing frilly or unecessary, beautiful yet dangerous.  Nearly every shot is a risk reward proposition and each will make you think.  

Roger Tufts

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 02:03:48 AM »
Carne - A great remote course where you will not be bothered by a mass of American vistors looking to bag another famous course for years to come, its too far from anything.  

I agree with you tenfold. Brad might have some pictures... we played Carne 4 years ago on our first Ireland trip. GREAT track.

I've got to throw Barona in the mix although being an Indian Reservation course like Apache Stronghold . . . . is it public in the true sense of the word? Or resort?

Both of those two are great answers too, I really liked Barona. It even rained that day and the course was spectacular.

Nominees: Crumpin-Fox

Another good call. That par 5 still blows me away. I put Crumpin up with Red-Tail as two of the best public golf in MA has to offer.

I think if I had to choose, I'd go with The Old Course, just on pure history. I still have yet to play it, but wouldn't mind playing that every week for the rest of my life, thats for damn sure.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:09:29 AM by Roger Tufts »
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 05:06:18 PM »
Spyglass Hill never disappoints me. It's like two courses in one and both are great. Regardless of weather it always fun and challenging.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 05:22:01 PM »
Oak Hollow, High Point, NC.  Pete Dye, cheap, lots of fun, perfect length as far as I'm concerned (6500 from all the way back).  Plenty of "half-par holes" with lots of options.  Couldn't be better.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jim Franklin

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 05:52:13 PM »
The Old Course would be my #1 choice. The variety shots you have to play and the way the course changes from day to day make it an easy choice.

If I had to pick a US course, I would go with Shadow Creek. It is not my favorite public track (Pacific Dunes), but if I am playing Shadow that means I am in Vegas and what goes on there stays there  ;).
Mr Hurricane

Jack_Marr

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 02:21:24 AM »
Carne - A great remote course where you will not be bothered by a mass of American vistors looking to bag another famous course for years to come, its too far from anything.  

You are called to use every shot in you bag.  Since I played there in July I can't stop thinking about all the holes especially #11 & 12 two great mid-length blind holes that make you work the ball both ways.  Hackett also did a great job using up some of the duller meadow type land with two of the par fives.  

It is laid out on some dramatic ground yet it is very playable.  The walk on the back nine is not the easiest with some good sized climbs to the next tee.  I don't know if it was from hard work, a good plan or just luck but we lost the fewest balls on this course.  The rough was such that you could find it and get it back in play.

The clubhouse is first class in a modest way and well suited for a golf club.  The staff treated us first class.

I want to go back soon and spend 1/2 a week there.  Since my family came here only three generations ago Bellmullet seems like a good alternative to Maine for me if I ever buy that second home.

BTW lifetime memberships are now availble for overseas members for 5000 euro.

Does anyone have pictures of Carne.  I was too into my own game the two rounds I played there to take pictures.

John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back