News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re:A little Bandon Analysis per Tom Doak's request
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2007, 02:24:21 PM »
One of the reasons that golf's growth rate is so stagnant is its difficulty.  I think a shift in attitude about scoring would go along way in improving the overwhelming majority of golfers enjoyment level.
This discussion is more evidence that American golf has lost its way and further proof that CB Macdonald is rolling over in his grave.

Joe, I'm not sure "golf" falls easily into any category or can blame it's growth issues on one or even a two factors. As evidenced by the following.

A course that continually offers problems—one with fight in it, if you please —is the one that keeps the player keen for the game. DONALD ROSS

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Joe Bentham

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2007, 02:38:07 PM »
Adam--
I'll agree that Golf's difficulty is one of its redeeming qualities. its also undeniably one of the reasons that there isn't much growth in the game.  And golfers make it so much harder then it has to be IMHO because they are worried about their score relative to par.  

ed_getka

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2007, 03:00:37 PM »
Joe,
   When was the last time you were a high handicapper? Your  prescription for course management for a high handicapper certainly sounds like a prescription for  BORING golf aimed  at shooting a good score. What high handicapper wants to just bunt the ball around to "manage" his game? Even a high handicapper can hit a good shot once in a while, and so they try the shot they probably can't pull off because it is FUN to try. If my ability to put food on my table is impacted by my golf game then I would rethink my approach. However, when I am playing golf, which is a game, for fun, then I choose to have fun and try the shot even if I can't pull it off.

"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Joe Bentham

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2007, 04:12:03 PM »
Ed--
I fully support your thinking.  Match play encourages one to be aggressive because the penalty for missing is less severe.  The loss of a hole is easier to recover from then having to write down an x.  
My golf game is irrelevant to the discussion.  I see all spectrums of play and the overwhelming majority of it is from high handicappers.

ed_getka

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2007, 07:15:30 PM »
Joe,
   I am curious what your experience is with high handicappers and their scores. Are most golfers really that obsessed with score? What percentage would you estimate get too wrapped up with their scores?
   I play off of an 11 and I rarely know what kind of score I am shooting, although I do write the numbers down. I have golfed with people who will know they are +4 on the 11th hole and I am always surprised by that. I also rarely know the status of a match unless someone is telling me. All I am trying to do  is hit the best shot possible every time, the rest is irrelevant to me. I suppose I am in the minority.

"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Alan Gard

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 12:50:37 PM »
As one of the guinea pig's in Tim's analysis, I thought I'd offer a couple thoughts...

- As Tim noted, #5 at BD completely owns me.  It's the approach that gets in my head as I've lost more than one ball in the thick grass on the dune on the left.  I also have hit some very bad tee shots on this hole that would be bad on any hole.  
- The low handicapper's blow up day on BT was more a factor of fatigue (we had played 54 the day before) and the fact that he was partnered with me that day.
- PD #13 doesn't seem as hard to me because of the hazard stakes to the left.  This last trip I made two bogeys with penalty shots.  For me, there are many other holes where one bad shot does not cost only a one shot penalty.
- For the three 10 - 13 handicappers in our group, we could all string together several good holes in a row.  However, we would almost always have one or two blowup holes "ruin" our scores.  To me, it is amazing how many different holes have played that role in my rounds (much less including everybody elses).  And in many of those instances, it is the green complexes that deliver the punishment.

RE:  Keeping score while playing...Whether I write it down or not, I'm going to know what my score is.  For me, though, it is often the pursuit of a score that makes golf fun.  Tim can tell you plenty of stories about my trials in the pursuit of breaking the arbitrary 90 barrier at any of the Bandon courses.  I have a very high number of 90 - 92 scores there.  This shows me how weak my mental game is, but it makes it sweeter when I do execute shots late in a round where I'm trying to meet some goal because I've suffered those failures.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back