News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Bandon Preserve countdown
« on: September 12, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »
Matt Ginella posted an update on Bandon Preserve along with new photos. The important details and figures:

Opening:         May 1, 2012
Green fee:       $100
Replay rate:     $50 (also applies if first play a round on one of other 4 courses)
Holes:              13
Tee yardage:    Black -- 1,468 (longest hole: 164/150; shortest: 78/65)
                       Middle -- 1,191 (longest hole: 130; shortest: 60)
                       Forward -- 819 (longest hole: 106; shortest: 44)
Turf:               100% fescue
22,000 sq ft:    Size of the double green for holes #4 and #7, which is now the largest on the property (It tops Old Mac #8 at 20,000)

Article:              http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2011/09/bandon-preserve-the-scorecard.html#entry-more
Scorecard:      http://twitpic.com/6k1jrl/full
Photos:            http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-travel/buddies/2011-09/photos-bandon-preserves#slide=1

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:54:25 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tom_Doak

Re: Bandon Preserve countdown
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »
The shortest hole from the middle tees, is longer than the shortest hole from the back tees?

Is that a typo or a feature?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 11:30:16 PM »
The shortest hole from the middle tees, is longer than the shortest hole from the back tees?

Is that a typo or a feature?

Your eyes are better than mine. Alas, it was a typo.  Now corrected.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:54:48 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 11:36:06 PM »
What a wonderful looking course!

I haven't inquired but I'm sure the Resort will adjust the fees so that if you play 18-13short-18 your green fee for the par 3 course will be dropped. They are very courteous and tend to make things easy on their guests.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:31:15 AM »
From the tips that is $1.48/yard. At the rest of the resort its under 35 cents per yard. But I can't wait.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 08:33:52 AM »
I hope it works.  I did have fun once at Bandon playing a par three course at the back of the driving range.  I'm just not sure why.

Recently during our trip to The Prairie Club we had no interest in playing the Horse Course. I'm just not sure why.

I know I do tend to stay out on the real courses until complete darkness.  At Valentine the bag piper stood on the 18th green with us and watched us putt out.

I'm very glad that Dismal does not have a bag piper.

William_G

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:09:25 AM »
the 6th hole looks tough especially into a summer wind.
It's all about the golf!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 09:27:59 AM »
$100 to play 13 holes on a par 3 course?

Even $50, if you play 18 first seems pretty darn steep.

Michael George

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »

Just came back from Bandon on Sunday.  The par 3 course looks incredible.  It is positioned right next to Bandon Trails (around the 1st hole over the dunes) next to the cliff between Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails.  It is some hilly property.  They were watering it the entire time that we were at the resort and looks completely done. Supposedly, the first round there is being played by Keiser in late October, early November with Coore/Crenshaw.

It looks incredible and willl be a great alternative to playing 36 on 1 or 2 days (especially in the extreme wind).  Has some of the best views on the property.  Will clearly be the best par 3 course in the world.  Not even close.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:01:22 AM »
I walked the property last Friday. It is beautiful (pictures will be posted later this week). The green complexes are top quality for any golf course and fit in well with the other courses on the property. A fee of $100 is too high and I wager that it will not stand for long. I understand the whole problem with playing it first and then replaying another 18 for $100 but it is still not a $100 experience.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »
Play 18 at Monarch Dunes, and their 12 hole par 3 is $10 with cart included if you so desire. Their par 3 features much of the same rugged dunes-scape. However, I will not play Monarch Dunes par 3 again, as they short-sightedly filled it with ponds, and routed it through housing leaving long green to tee walks on more than a few holes.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Szabo

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 01:55:17 PM »
$100 to play 13 holes on a par 3 course?

Even $50, if you play 18 first seems pretty darn steep.

That's the first thought that came to mind as well.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Joe Stansell

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 02:03:47 PM »
$100 is too steep, but I can see it getting a lot of play anyway, especially for folks who play 18 at one of the other courses and either don't have the energy or time to finish a replay.

Sean Leary

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »
50 bucks seems totally reasonable to me in the peak season. Surely it will be less in the winter.

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »
It would be "free" if it's your 3rd round of the day, no? I would think it would be a nice option for a late evening 13 holes with a half set of clubs and a couple beers.

While I wouldn't schedule it for a prime morning or early afternoon tee time on a trip, I certainly would make an effort to go play it one evening instead of trying to play 3-9 holes on a "big" course.
H.P.S.

William_G

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »
Current Rates
Peter Hay Golf Course
All Day Green Fee, Unlimited Play, Per Player
Adults: $30
Juniors (13-17 years): $10
Children 12 years and under: FREE

So the Preserve will be worth at least twice what Peter Hay is charging.

I like the junior rates as well as the all day concepts.

The course has the best views of the ocean as there is bluff to contend with.

Behind the 6th green, you can imagine another golf hole directly out toward the ocean, but that is not within the property.

Thanks

It's all about the golf!

Steve Kline

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 04:20:32 PM »
Is the third round free on the par 3 course like on all the others? Because that's when I would play it. Fewer holes and fewer clubs to carry.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »
It would be "free" if it's your 3rd round of the day, no? I would think it would be a nice option for a late evening 13 holes with a half set of clubs and a couple beers.

While I wouldn't schedule it for a prime morning or early afternoon tee time on a trip, I certainly would make an effort to go play it one evening instead of trying to play 3-9 holes on a "big" course.

That is my thinking exactly Pat. Also might make sense on an arrival/departure day after 18. 

I might take fewer clubs and more beer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back