News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Sandy Lodge photos part 2
« on: January 26, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »
10. 186 yards par 3

I have to say that the 10th is one of the most diabolically difficult par 3s I know. This is the one for which Markes built a new green. After the rebuild it was played at over 200 yards, which must have been fiendish to say the least. Pinsent chose to shorten it, using the earth from the old tee to build up a new one so that you could at least see the fate of your ball!

11. 532 yards par 5

Markes clearly loved the vague drive – you are not quite sure where you ought to be going. What today’s golfer needs to be aware of are the cross-bunkers 75 yards short of the green and the various accompanying bunkers back to 129 yards from the green. On this downslope laying up is an art!  

But you need to be pin-point with the approach, however many shots you may already have taken.

12. 395 yards par 4

Named Mae West you once drove out through twin mounds of an appropriate shape. You still do, but surely she didn’t grow hair there.

There are mounds and bunkers out to the right and a serious bunker for big hitters out to the left.

The shelter reminds of Ganton.

The great thing about this part of Sandy Lodge is that you are rarely out of sight of the clubhouse.

13. 327 yards par 4

A rather non-descript hole. Its name, Oxhey View, recalls a local club which was disbanded after the war to make way for a housing estate. Some of Oxhey’s members (including a very influential captain) joined Sandy Lodge, but all had to be individually interviewed by Markes.

As you get a bit nearer you appreciate the efforts made to tighten up the hole.

The difficult pin positions are behind the left-hand bunkers and at the rear right where the green is hiher.

14. 532 yards par 5

This is another semi-blind drive. Before Pinsent’s adding of visible bunkers to the right of the drive area this was a completely featureless hole.

It is quite a complex hole. It needs a marker post and there is an interruption to the fairway about 300 yards out from the tee. Even then, the approach to the green for tigers will be speculative. The rest of us need simply to make progress in the right direction without tangling with the bunkers which encroach on either side from 93 yards in.

This is not a green to miss left, right, or long. The perils are obvious.

15.   213 yards par 3

An attractive downhill par 3 to which no alterations have been made.

The bunkers mean business.

16.   439 yards par 4

A new tee has been built some way back which brings into play new bunkers on the right of this left-to-right cambered fairway on a hole which veers from right to left. The medal tee is set at 399 yards.

The difficulties of approaching this downhill green are apparent with two bunkers short left of the green and two more abutting the putting surface to the fron right.

17.   508 yards par 5

A big, ranging dog-leg to the left.  The main objective is to avoid driving bunkers on the right, but keep right enough to avoid being cut out by trees on the left, the inside of the dog-leg.

As you can see, you have to keep approaching this green from the right.

The relevant bunkers are in place to prevent you doing this unthinlingly.

There is a big front to back step on the green, which they once attempted to remove – but it was rejected.

Nearly there!

18, 154 yards par 3

I am presented with a problem with this hole. It is a famous hole. But I cannot find out when it stopped being famous! I gather that it was once an all-or-nothing shot over a sand face. Ken Cotton came along in the 1950s with a plan to rationalise the hole but that was rejected. None of the living members remembers it as anything other than rather a messy bank. Pinsent has slightly stepped the bank so that those who don’t make the carry are unlikely to find the ball, once again, at their feet.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:53:03 AM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Bill_McBride

Re: Sandy Lodge phots part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:38:55 PM »
What's up with those short socks with the short pants?  Not the standard UK attire!

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 06:05:33 PM »
Mark -

Thanks for the pics of another wonderful course in the suburbs of London. The course looked to be in fine shape.

A question, do you know if the sleeper-walled bunkers have always been that way or were the sleepers added a some later point in time?

DT 

Ron Csigo

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:35:09 PM »
Mark - Thanks again for sharing these photos.  One of the main reasons I joined this site was to see and learn about courses that I otherwise would not have known about.  Next time I'm in London, I'll be sure to visit Sandy Lodge.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:09:30 AM »
David, The sleeper-faced bunkers were there from the start. Mark.

Jim Sweeney

Re: Sandy Lodge photos part 2
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 05:15:47 PM »
Good stuff, MArk. This type of post is a real benefit of visiting gca.com.

Since the turf was originally imported from some real linksland course, although many years ago, does it stil retaiit's chartacter, especialloy with the tree growth? From the pictures it certainly seems like fescue in firm and fast shape.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:09:30 AM »
Jim, I don't know what make up the grass has today, but it is certainly crisp, firm turf aided by the excellent drainage supplied by the underlying sand.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 04:47:53 PM »

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,3549.0/

I’ve looked through the back pages and there’s a marvellous picture of the eighteenth which won’t come up on either of the threads it’s been on.  Fun to just read the old gang getting excited about it.

On another Thread Tom MacWood gives some credit to Colt? If you read this Tom perhaps you can tell us more.

I also think 17 is funky, you play up a hill with the green set off to the left. The steep fall in level to the rear means getting it close to the pin is a gamble.  For the long hitter it’s within reach but you may not be able to see any of the pin.  Makes a short par 5 a real gamblers hole.  I can’t understand why this feature isn’t used more. I’ve seen it at the Berkshire but can’t recall it elsewhere.

I’ve just recalled the first time I played here I finished with 6 pars, a run I'd never enjoyed before.  My opponent managed to play them in 2 under to scrape home.  It is a great match play course. Thank you Mark.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 05:47:39 PM »
Mark

Thank you.  I tried to make it down this winter and have thus far failed.  From the pix it looks as though excitement cranks up considerably on the back 9.  Is this the case?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 05:52:06 AM »
Sean, There's a good first six holes, too. If you are thinking of going let me know and I'll try to fix someone to play with. Mark.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »
Here is a photo of one of the unusual hazards originally featured at Sandy Lodge. You will find a few paragraphs on Sandy Lodge in this link.

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/GolfIllustrated/1914/gi1k.pdf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back