News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Supernovae
« on: September 06, 2007, 06:40:06 PM »
Do you suppose over on OperaClubAtlas they're debating the quality of Pava's nine high C's in relation to the smoothness of Domingo's glissandos or the popularisation of Caruso in the context of the movies?

Will his passing usher in a new Golden Age of operarchitettura?

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Doug Ralston

Re:Supernovae
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 06:56:40 PM »
Go to Mozart's 'Don Giovanni' and then tell me you don't 'get' opera!

Doug

Doug Ralston

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 06:57:55 PM »
Err, only if you have some semblance of a sense of humor, though. Too funny!

Doug

Marty Bonnar

Re:OT::Supernovae
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 07:02:46 PM »
nah...   Many of us still don't "get" Opera.

Sure, it's beautiful, but would it survive without govt. grants?

Yeah, Dan,
but,
'getting' operatettura is not necessarily necessary to hearing Opera in as much as 'getting' architettura is not necessarily crucial to playing Golf.

Boy, do I need an Italian scholar at this point...where, oh where would I find such a fellow in such a god-forsaken town such as this...... ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 07:32:03 PM »
Aye Marty, if yer speekin o'me, I don'na git opera annay better tha I gowf.  

I can'na understandt it, evn tho I speek a wee bit of the Aitalyon lingo.  Gim'me the go'auld Neeopulitan sungs ta maek me pay attenshin.  Pava 'n Pippo were ma faevorits... Nessun Dorma an Core'ngrato, aye... we shall na see their likes agin.  :'( 8) :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:34:54 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Non son io, mio caro Martin, che è lo studioso/esperto. Ma:

Listening to Pavarotti sing 'Nessun Dorma', what swelled my heart most was that it reminded me of the stunning beauty and majesty we flawed human beings are capable of.  I think it's a very good thing (a blessing in fact) that he made us rise to our feet in awe and appreciation. I think it's important that we can occasionally feel a teary-eyed awe and appreciation for 'the work of human hands'.

Peter  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 08:23:43 PM »
Maybe in the coming century, a great musical virtuoso will put an opus or at least an aria together that expresses the grandness of a Cypress Point, Sand Hills... you pick the course that moves you...  and then if only a voice comes along again that can nail it.  Pavarotti did it with the chorus of Nessun Dorma, (vincero, vincero) as it relates to the world cup soccer and then again used at the last Olympics.

One of Pippo's  (Di Stefano's) hallmark songs did strike such a note with Core'ngrato (Pavarotti's version followed) if you relate it to this often cruel game that builds you up and then lets you down and breaks your heart just when you think you had it.  'Ungrateful heart'  But, you may need to mangia more alio-olio pasta like Pete and I to really get into this whole "anima e core" thing... ::) ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 10:27:48 PM »
I think it's important that we can occasionally feel a teary-eyed awe and appreciation for 'the work of human hands'.

Bravissimo!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back