News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Suggestions for Masters Practice Round Trip
« on: September 04, 2007, 03:06:45 PM »
It looks like my regular foursome from several years ago will be going to the Tuesday practice round at the Masters next year.  We will probably fly somewhere on Friday, play golf for 3 days, attend the practice round and fly home.

Incomes in the group vary, so I would like to avoid being gouged.  I'm thinking we could play anywhere within a 4-5 hour drive.

I'm thinking the Capstone Club and that area of Alabama.  What do people suggest?

Michael Blake

Re:Suggestions for Masters Practice Round Trip
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:24:17 PM »
Were lottery results mailed out already?

TaylorA

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 03:26:07 PM »
I would not suggest staying 4-5 hours away, particularly if you put Atlanta traffic between yourself and ANGC. South Carolina would be a better place to stay 2-3 hours away, but even that is going to strain you on Tuesday.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 03:32:54 PM »
How about Southern Pines, NC for golf, and then drive down to Augusta?  I did this in '05 and it was great.

We stayed in Augusta for one night, but perhaps Columbia, SC would work for you.

Attend the practice round, and start your drive home.

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 03:36:28 PM »
How about Southern Pines, NC for golf, and then drive down to Augusta?  I did this in '05 and it was great.

We stayed in Augusta for one night, but perhaps Columbia, SC would work for you.

Attend the practice round, and start your drive home.

Dan:

I like that suggestion.  Do the prices at Southern Pines go up around the Masters?  Where did you stay in Augusta?  

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 03:37:01 PM »
I would not suggest staying 4-5 hours away, particularly if you put Atlanta traffic between yourself and ANGC. South Carolina would be a better place to stay 2-3 hours away, but even that is going to strain you on Tuesday.

Thanks for the tip.  Your advice makes sense.

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 03:37:44 PM »
Were lottery results mailed out already?

One guy in our group got his letter.  I didn't get anything.  Of course, I never have in the past.

Doug Spets

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 05:49:50 PM »
Anything in Augusta or Aiken will likely result in some fairly deep gouging.  4-some at Augusta Country Club Masters week goes for $1600.  Mt Vintage is rented out the entire week and tee-times are pricey.  Some good golf in Columbia SC.  If you get that way, give me a buzz.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 06:01:38 PM »
Jason-

It could be a little steep...but a great trip would be to fly into Atlanta and drive over to the Eatonton area (Reynolds, Cuscowilla, etc).  From there you're about 1 1/2 hours to Augusta.  
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Michael Christensen

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 06:14:29 PM »
u will definitely get gouged along I-20 from Atlanta to Augusta......Long Shadow could be a good bet if you stay in Atlanta....I know Cherokee Run in Conyers increases their rates.....Atlanta isn't that far....especially if you are only making one trip to Augusta....just leave early Tues morning and you should have no problem

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 07:51:40 PM »
When I got practice round tickets years ago we flew into Charlotte, played around there at enroute to Augusta at a course called Persimmon Hills. Columbia SC was far enough away to avoid gouging at that time.

Myrtle Beach, the Charleton area (Kiawah?) and Hilton Head area are all within four hours.

Make your decisions, and get your reservations, now or with as little delay as possible.

I'll be looking in my mailbox for the rest of the week.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 07:54:03 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 07:53:03 PM »
Jason, I'd echo the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area, moving toward Augusta as the week progresses.  Depending on your tastes and pocketbooks, you have Southern Pines, Tobacco Road, etc. to start with, then some very solid courses on the route to Augusta.  Southwest flies into Raleigh, so there are generally some good fares from the Northwest.

My home course (Camden Country Club; Travis routing, Ross greens circa 1938) always gets a good bit of play from folks on their way to Augusta, but not so much that the course is overly crowded.  Columbia also has several fairly solid courses.  I'd be happy to get you on Camden, and could probably help on other courses in the area.

Doug:  It's good to see another Midlands SC member on the DG.  Where do you play in Columbia?  (edit...  oops, now I think I remember meeting you when Mike had everybody here......  Am I correct?)

Jamey
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 07:58:35 PM by Jamey Bryan »

Doug Spets

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 08:02:53 PM »
Jamey.....

Your memory is only semi-faulty.  Must be the nutrasweet. Yes, we met in Camden back in July.  Lovely, lovely course.  Hope you're hitting plenty of fairways...and those tiny greens, too.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 01:27:27 AM »
Jason,
Congratulations! Have a great trip.
We were fortunate to be selected to attend the Monday round in 2006; a truly unforgettable time.
We flew in to Atlanta on the Thursday the week before, then drove to Thomson where we stayed until the Tuesday morning of Masters week.
On the Friday, we drove past Augusta and played The River Club along the Georgia/South Carolina border, green fees were okay.

Then on the Saturday, we drove back to Augusta again and just north of there played Jones Creek. Green fees I believe were $125 each, cart in, and we were told that Masters week the rate would be $300 each.

On Sunday, we drove north and played Arrowhead Pointe in a state park. Green fee was very reasonable.

On Monday we enjoyed a fantastic day at the Masters, and then on Tuesday morning on our way back into Atlanta to catch our flights home, we stopped at Conyers and played Cherokee Run. $100 green fee, cart in, with breakfast and lunch included. Problem was, we teed of just after 9:00, had to quit at 1:15 to make it to the airport in time, having only completed 12 holes. Ugh. Impressive course though.

Hope this helps. Search the site for lots of tips on enjoying the Masters.

JJ

Evan_Smith

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 01:36:44 AM »
For ease of travel and not too much gouging, Columbia is a good place to be.  Between Pinehurst and Columbia is a great course called Cheraw (in Cheraw SC).  It's the state park course you want, as there is also a Cheraw CC.  The greens fees are in the $30 range and I would say it's probably only 2 hours to Augusta from the course (traffic not withstanding).  My buddy was at the tournament last year and I couldn't believe the prices that courses in the Augusta area were charging.  $150 for a course that normally charges $40.  

Cheraw is a really entertaining Tom Jackson course and the price is right as well.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 01:37:38 AM by Evan_Smith »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 08:02:07 AM »
I'll add a suggestion.  Play Cateechee (Mike Young) in Hartwell, GA near the SC/GA line, Arrowhead Pt. (Bob Young) in Elberton about 20 min. away from Cateechee, and Long Shadow (Mike Young) in Madison, which is about an hour from Hartwell and the same amount from Augusta.  It is only about 90 miles from Hartwell to Augusta as well, so all of this would be within your driving limits, and away from Atlanta traffic.

With those three courses, you would be seeing not only 3 wonderful courses, but three completely different looks, and a much better chance of avoiding huge crowds and price gouging.  If you were looking for even more options, Chateau Elan (Denis Griffiths) has 2 public courses as well as a resort course that are worth a look.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 08:12:04 AM »
Jason, we stayed at a Hampton Inn right in Augusta - booked early and the room cost $270.  It's a lot of money for the room, but we had zero traffic getting to the course, and we were only 10 minutes away.

We actually got to the back gate around 6:45AM.  Bought the swag just inside, checked it for later pickup, and were about first in line to enter the course.  The gates opened around 8 AM and you walk down a number of steps and end up right behind #16 tee.   Quick walk over to #13 green, and you'll be all alone with one of the most famous sights in golf all to yourself.  Be sure to take a camera!

(oh yeah, if you have allergies, be sure to pop a Claratin or similar - the pine pollen in April can be NASTY down there)

We drove down from Southern Pines, where the rates were very reasonable.  Played Strantz' superb Tobacco Road and made a mistake by playing "The Carolinia", a run-of-the-mill Palmer course.

Are you driving or flying to the area?  The drive from Philly wasn't bad at all (I-76, I-81, I-77, I-20)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 08:15:48 AM by Dan Herrmann »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 08:46:57 AM »
Kinderlou Forest would be perfect and is exactly 4 hours away.  I thought the course was fabulous and would fit all games.  note:  My opinion is highly biased because I was comped but I am making my best attempt to be honest.

http://www.kinderlou.com/pages/golf_packages_overview.html

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 09:35:32 AM »
There are many great alternatives which vary in price. I have played and stayed the weekend in Charlotte, Southern Pines, and Reynolds Plantation prior to attending practice rounds. Rooms are fairly reasonable in Columbia, SC. Monday evening. Then it is about an hour drive. A weekend in Atlanta would not suck either. Augusta is about 1 1/2 hours from Atlanta.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:35:55 AM by Rob_Waldron »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 09:58:07 AM »
Jason,

It's a long haul from Tuscaloosa to Augusta and while I liked what Hanse did at Capstone and Jeff Stettner liked a muni nearby, I'd approach this from the eastern front.  Otherwise, Pate's Limestone Springs in Oneonta, AL is a good hour closer to Augusta and you could play the RTJ course at Gasden/Anniston.  Limestone has a great single cottage on site that accomodates 8 easily that I've stayed in several times.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 10:57:33 AM »
I greatly appreciate the wonderful advice.  Thanks!

I'm guessing we will approach from the Eastern front.  

Zack Kelly

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 12:32:55 PM »
Jason,

You might want to consider Palmetto Golf Club, in Aiken, the open one week a year to the public Masters week.  Greens Fees run $175 per, the course is scheduled to reopen after a major renovation on October 2nd.  If you are interested IM me and I can give you all of the details.

Zack
Fairways & Greens
Zack Quinn Kelly

james soper

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 12:48:59 PM »
jason, we stayed and played at kiawah for two nights (they had a great package) then spent the night before the practice round in orangeburg s.c. woke up early for the drive and parked right across the street from angc as the gates opened. great trip.

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 01:00:17 PM »
Jason,

You might want to consider Palmetto Golf Club, in Aiken, the open one week a year to the public Masters week.  Greens Fees run $175 per, the course is scheduled to reopen after a major renovation on October 2nd.  If you are interested IM me and I can give you all of the details.

Zack

When I was planning to attend the Masters last spring I emailed Palmetto enquiring about access during the Masters time.  They replied that it wasn't sorted, but that they would let me know when it was.  True to their word they did email with info several weeks later.  Even though I didn't make the trip, I was impressed that they remembered to email me.  Thats the sort of care and attention that makes me want to visit the place if the opportunity arises.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:20:20 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Christensen

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 04:28:43 PM »
good thought AG....Cateechee is a great choice....you can even stay up in the clubhouse...they have golf packages, a stay and play type of deal

Hartwell to Madison is not highway too, so probably not too bad with traffic.

I have to get up to Cateechee soon....I love that place....staff almost fainted when I said I wanted to walk last time out there....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back