News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re:What the eye "sees"
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2007, 04:56:25 PM »

Calling Mr Price
"The course is built on an area of blown sand resting on top of a raised beach. The combination of sand ridges, mounds and hollows, and gorse and heather rough, provides some classic links golf.
 Not only Donald Ross but many other scotish golfers...took with them the memory of many of the natural features of Scottish links land."
Thank you Mr Price
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 05:05:51 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2007, 05:09:18 PM »
This is a great thread.

I'm not entirely sure how the Game vs Sport fits in here, but anyway.

Does anyone else feel

Golf is most like a game when its strokeplay against the field (course?)

Golf is most like a sport when it's matchplay against an opponent?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Norbert P

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2007, 02:05:53 PM »

Not only Donald Ross but many other scotish golfers...took with them the memory of many of the natural features of Scottish links land."
Thank you Mr Price

Perhaps they took some sand with those memories?  

I am not a geologist, but what creates flat-topped dunes? It just doesn't jive with any erosion processes that I know of.  Or are they actually exposed bedrock outcroppings flattened by ancient glacial creep? ...   with grass growing on them?  I don't pretend to know, I'm mystified.  But the story that I originally wrote in my head, though abstracted only from a fictional possibility, seemed to make order, in my mind, of how they were created.  

"...Capturing black pieces
in a glass-fronted museum
the white queen rolls
on the chessboard of the dawn
squeezing through the valleys
pausing briefly in the corries
the Ice-Mother mates
and a new age is born. ..."  IA

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Rich Goodale

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2007, 02:30:34 PM »
Norbert

I'm not a geologist either, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn even before they had their "Express" brand and when it cost about $4.50/night for a double room.....

Dornoch is built over three cascading landforms--the uppermost of which contains the 1st and 2nd hole are, as well as the 5th tee, the 7th, the 8th tee, the 16th green, the 17th tee and the 18th.  The lowest and most immature of the landforms consists of the (lower) 8th fairway and green, the 9th to the 15th, the 16th tee and the (lower) 17th fairway.  The middle and most interesting landform consists of the 3rd fairway, the 4th hole and the 5th fairway.  This land slopes down from the hillside of gorse toward the sea, and includes those fingers of land that jut into the right hand side of the fairways of the 12th through 15th holes and also are in play on the outward 9, particlarly to the right of the 3rd and 4th.

I personally have never even considered that their (relative) flatness was anything but natural, as the land from which they flow is also relatively flat (if sloped).  I assume that the hollow areas which make the fingers are the result of some sort of erosion.  I don't think there is any kind of bedrock there, having played out of all parts of most of those fingers far too many times.

The 14th green is, of course, the most famous of the fingers, and as you will know, it is anything but flat.  AS is the 4th green, another of the fingers.

So there!

You know the address for slag delivery, I presume....

Cheerfully

Ricardo

Norbert P

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »
Norbert

...the land from which they flow is also relatively flat (if sloped).  I assume that the hollow areas which make the fingers are the result of some sort of erosion.  

Ah yes. It's not the phillanges that are built by nature, but the bass-relief technique of sculpture, the removing of what's around them.    Eureka!   You have found it.  

Your eternal disciple,  Norberto  

(Slag's in the mail - with the check.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:03:36 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back