News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig_Rokke

Mahoning Valley Golf Club-Lehighton, PA
« on: August 29, 2007, 03:15:30 PM »
I will hopefully be embarking on just my 3rd round of golf this year on Sun. We are slated for Mahoning Valley Golf Club
in what looks to be the foothills of the Poconos, just west
of the NE Tpke extension.

It's formerly a private course, dating from around 1928. However I could find little, other than a mention of the Gordons. (There was another listing for Maurice McCarthy, an NLE by the same name, in another town,  though)

Anyone know anything about the lineage of the course, and whether it's worth a 1 1/2 hr early am trek? Either way,
I'm just happy to be getting out!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 10:36:56 PM by Craig_Rokke »

Kyle Harris

Re:Mahoning Valley Golf Club-Lehighton, PA
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 09:51:24 PM »
Craig,

Take pictures, it'll be houses in a few years I'm sure.

It's pretty much what you can come to expect from the Gordons of Doylestown. Management is a mess though, so I'm not sure how much is left or what you'll find.

Mike_Cirba

Re:Mahoning Valley Golf Club-Lehighton, PA
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 10:16:58 PM »
Craig,

The front nine is the one designed by Maurice McCarthy of Hershey CC fame and it's decent, even though the short par four 9th has been converted to a par three over water.  It was probably one of the better holes prior based on how things looked.   Nothing great, but some cool older mounding and bunkering and the 5th hole is a blind, short par four that's pretty darn good.

The back nine is the Gordon's from the 50s and although there are 3 very hard left turn dogleg left par fours, it's not all bad and actually features some of the more interesting greens I've seen from the Gordon's.

It's cheap, it's open, and if you haven't been out much recently, it's worth seeing...probably better than the average Doak 3.  Conditions are ehh....but...not horrid, either.

Incidentally, the 4th hole at MV is where the blind woman had a hole in one last week.

Joe Bausch

Re: Mahoning Valley Golf Club-Lehighton, PA New
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 01:21:43 PM »
Mahoning Valley is still alive.  They are taking public play.  Some pictures from my visit a couple of months ago:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/MahoningValley/index.html

For me the best hole was the par 5 8th.  And the 9th hole is now back to a par 4.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:32:57 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back