News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Laurent

Heritage Golf Club (w/ pics)
« on: August 28, 2007, 10:58:23 PM »
I had the opportunity to play Heritage Golf Club in Hilliard, Ohio this afternoon.  It's been about 7 years since I have played the course, and it is much different than what I remembered.  It was about 95 degrees, so we decided to take carts, but the course is much more walker friendly than I remembered.

Heritage is a PB Dye set on the inside of a real-estate community.  The course has its quirks, but overall, the green complexes were very interesting and the course is very challenging.  It doesn't compare to a MVGC, Double Eagle or Scioto, but it still is a good test of golf and an enjoyable layout.  

It was a bit hazy and I didn't get to take too many pics...but here are a few:

6 green - a long straight par 4 with a John K's favorite golf course accessory...a fan!

7 Approach - #1 handicap hole.  You need to play a slight draw to put you into a nice position to attack the pin.  By far, my favorite hole on the course.

13 2nd shot - This is a relatively short par 5...the photo is from my 2nd shot, about 220 out.  The pin is a bit left of the lone tree straight ahead.  This is one of the quirks I'm not a fan of...the green is hidden for the most part, which I'm ok with, but also hidden is a large pond that fronts the green.  Unfortunately, I don't have a good shot from behind to show you.  Luckily I was playing with a member that steered me away from it.  

15 green - here's a shot from the right side of the green showing a bit of the undulation on the greens.  Lots of movement!!!

16 approach - a shot from the left rough of a short par 5.  Good little hole...the ideal play is up the left side to give yourself a clear shot at the hole.

18 tee - A nice finishing hole...
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Mark Bourgeois

Re:Heritage Golf Club (w/ pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 12:01:25 PM »
Brian, thanks and welcome to the site.

Re 15 green: is that what it looks like, a buried elephant? If so, how many other greens have such severity?

And now to my point / question: Has there been any pressure from the members to flatten this hole or the greens? Any time I see a green like that the cries of "unfair" fill my mind's ear!

Thanks,
Mark

Brian Laurent

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 01:29:52 PM »
Thanks for the note Mark.  All of the greens have a similar level of difficulty with either a buried elephant, multi-tiers, etc.  The member I played with did not mention any rumblings from the membership as being unfair.  However, if they increased the green speeds that could change.  
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

jg7236

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 02:51:39 PM »
I forgot all about Heritage.  I played the course when it first opened in the early 90's.  How were the homes around the course?  I heard the membership is pretty strong at Heritage.  I really enjoyed the course, and it was very walkable.  I remember one hole had a very long path/bridge from one hole to another that cut through the woods.  Is this path/bridge still present?

Brian Laurent

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 05:33:55 PM »
Membership seems to be very strong and relatively young.  The homes rarely come into play or even line of sight for that matter.  I don't recall any long paths or bridges from green to tee...but I could be mistaken.  

Billsteele

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 10:47:56 PM »
Brian-Always good to have another Ohio voice on board. I played Heritage quite a bit in the early 90's and haven't been back since. While I don't dislike the course, I am not enamored of it. Indifference would best describe my feelings.

Movement in the greens? Yes, there is movement but at times it seemed arbitrary and a bit ridiculous. I remember that one of the two holes that play over the creek west of the clubhouse had a two tiered green with the top tier five to six feet above the bottom. I also remember 17 having a buried elephant toward the rear of the green. Don't get me wrong, I love interesting green complexes. However, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to PB's choices. I seem to recall that the par threes were a mixed bag (8 seemed like a classic transition hole...it was the only thing they could force on the land to end up with the 9th being a par five). The one-shotters with water were pretty good. I also liked 17 (despite the Quasimodo green) and 18 along the water. I did not care for 15 because the cart path cut directly across the fairway in an area where a lot of balls would have been in the middle of the short grass but were instead nestled into the rough bordering the asphalt. The par 5 16th was a fun hole.

Do houses now effect the tee shot on 9? When I used to play there, a fence bordered the left side of the hole and then swung left when the hole moved that way. It was possible to take an aggressive line inside the fence and cut a lot of distance off the hole. If houses have sprung up there, that option may no longer exist.

It also had one of the ugliest views from a tee that I have seen. There was a hole on the front with a tee shot over a pond with a large electrical tower on the left in the rough. Despite that, I didn't think it was a bad hole.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:47:29 AM »
My brother recently won the Columbus District Sr. Amateur there.  He didn't rave about the course, but said it had some good holes.  

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 08:50:10 AM »

Do houses now effect the tee shot on 9? When I used to play there, a fence bordered the left side of the hole and then swung left when the hole moved that way. It was possible to take an aggressive line inside the fence and cut a lot of distance off the hole. If houses have sprung up there, that option may no longer exist.

Bill:

The tee shot on #9 now demands nothing more than a hybrid off the tee (even that is too much for some). My host told me something about that house and some changes that resulted. There is no room to fit anything into the end of the fairway, which is surrounded by water and has a cart path separating the last 15 yards of it from the rest of the fairway. I'm told that the changes were to insure that nobody would be tempted to hit driver/3 wood off that tee for the safety of the homeowner. They succeeded. Did I mention that you can't see any of the end of the peninsula fairway nor the surrounding water? It may be the most ill-conceived tee shot I've ever seen on a par 5. If I was actually trying to post a score, I'd hit no more than 4 iron off the tee.

Sorry for the rant!!! :(

Regards,

Sobe

Brian Laurent

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 09:22:44 AM »
I agree, Sobe...#9 is goofy.  I pulled driver from the "stones" not knowing any better and hit it through the fairway.  I'm not a huge fan of having driver taken out of your hands on a 590 yard hole.  

Bill...I think you're talking about #5 with the power lines.  It is an eye sore, but overall a pretty good hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back