News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

FedEx Cup Greens
« on: September 07, 2007, 12:37:05 AM »
Three of the four FedEx Cup sites have green issues.

Westchester's were slow, bumpy, and bare.
Chicago's are slow and soft.
East Lake's will be slow and potentially bare.

Did the PGA Tour make a foreseeable mistake by scheduling tournaments where the greens would struggle at that particular date? Or are they just unlucky this year?

Chris Cupit

Re:FedEx Cup Greens
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 02:54:12 PM »
I am a little hesitant to weigh in about courses that "lost" their greens since one of our illustrious posters on this site had his partner make some erroneous comments about my course having "lost" its greens  (not even close to true--East Lake would kill for my greens).  But since I know this firsthand and have been on site (unlike the guy who made comments about my course), here it goes:

Not sure about the other FedEx greens but Atlanta's East Lake is really struggling and to some degree anyone with any golf knowledge who thought bent grass in Mid September has any good chance of being in good shape should have known better.

the greens at East Lake are struggling.  Here is what I KNOW:
1.  Atlanta had almost 30 days of no rain and set a record for heat with 9 days above 100 and the highest August temperatures EVER recorded.
2.  East Lake had even more extreme heat thanks to the "heat effect" of being in the city.
3.  As of yesterday, Medalist Golf was sodding bermuda around greens!  Edges of greens that had simply died were cut out and the bermuda fringe areas were "expanded".
4.  A week or so ago in a fairly desperate move to get soil temps down, pallets of ice were used on at least one green to cool them down!

What I've HEARD:
1.  The super had wanted to put fans around the greens early in August and the GM resisted this move.  There are now generators and four fans on many greens but unfortunately, it's too little too late.  
2.  They are using green topdressing sand and paint to try and mask the dead spots for TV.
3.  The greens were aerated (from pics I saw) in order to try and get some air to the roots and help with gas exchange--I think this will help but it will also soften them up--they will not be firm, fast or smooth.
4.  They will recover a little by next week but I know the crew feels terrible about what happened.
5.  Small consolation but the rest of the course is in perfect shape.

I am certain they will change over to Bermuda for next year.  In order to have firm, fast greens in Atlanta the second week in September, bermuda is the choice.  They are talking about mini verde not the Champion but the new ultra dwarf bermudas are fantastic.  

I am still a bentrgrass proponent for Atlanta in general but for a specific situation like this, bermuda is a "no brainer".

Michael Christensen

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 03:21:20 PM »
great points Chris....bent is great, but for the 3 HOT months in Atlanta it is not.....the "experts" should have realized this....hopefully this was just a timing issue with replacement of the greens....

tlavin

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 03:24:42 PM »
Unlucky as far as Chicago goes, since we've had the wettest late summer in memory.  I was at the event yesterday and the greens were slick, but very receptive.  That, combined with the ridiculous decision to play lift, clean and cheat, made the course easy pickins.

G Jones

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 03:41:30 PM »
regarding east lake, as i said in the other thread, the greens are normally great at this time of year. they've just had an unlucky break with the unusually hot weather, and they possibly haven't handled it as well as they might have.

The funny thing about east lake is if they hold the tour championship later in the year the grass has already started to fade on its way to dormant, and the course doesnt look so great on tv either!

hopefully when they change the greens it will improve it tournament-wise at least...

SL_Solow

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 08:39:10 PM »
Terry is sot on with respect to Cog Hill.  Over 15 inches of rain in August which is usually a very dry month has left all area courses very soft.  The additional rain this wek only added insult to injury.

C. Squier

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 10:14:09 PM »
To piggy back the previous comments, its been monsoon season in Chicagoland.  My divots have left pitch marks lately.  

CPS

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back