News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

....which one would you choose and why?
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Joe Hancock

Re:If you were going to spend your Wedding Night on a golf hole....
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 06:31:25 PM »
The closest one to the chapel...because it's the closest one to the chapel!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »
" If you were going to spend your Wedding Night on a golf hole....which one would it be and why?"

I guess that one at the Everglades club down in Palm Beach because I tried it out one time in the middle of the night back in 1962 and it worked just fine.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 06:47:24 PM »
Just too many puns to answer ....... just too many!

Doug

paul cowley

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 07:25:28 PM »
I didn't want to go first, but since TomP's given us the green flag ;D.

I'm having a little struggle with this one because I happen to be engaged at this time ....but we have yet to set a date.

Oh, its not that I haven't had my share of rehearsals at different qualifying locations [but never a Dress one].....and I think that stars are a big factor in choosing the site.

In the sky.

In ones eyes.

Its all just so confusing......emotions are always to blame.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to cut this post a little short.....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 07:27:02 PM by paul cowley »

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
I didn't spend my wedding night...but I spent my "first" night on the 8th at Bermuda Dunes CC.  ;)
No architectural marvel, but the grass was...fine.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 07:57:39 PM »
Well, I understand Black Forest is only 49 miles from Bliss.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JESII

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 08:20:28 PM »
I'm confused...didn't Kavanaugh start this same thread this morning...I'll go look, for I must be mistaken...

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 08:22:36 PM »
C'mon, first which hole for suicide and now your wedding night? Dude, please. OT :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Chris Kane

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 08:24:20 PM »
Valley of Sin.

paul cowley

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 08:27:51 PM »
OK guys ....before we get too much deeper in this thread....the correct answer to the question posed should be;

Your wife's.....because that's presumably one of the reasons you got married ...yo yo.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:49:49 PM by paul cowley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »
Valley of Sin.

It's your wedding night dude! Too late for the Valley of Sin. Valley of Sin is for the bachelor party.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Behind the 12th green at Mountain Lake.

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 08:42:19 PM »
  The floating green at Coeur d'Alene, biggest water be going.

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 08:52:12 PM »
Paul, Paul, PAUL!!!

Are you implying you're thinking of getting married on a golf hole?

What does the beautiful Miss Dawn have to say about this?

If that's what you're really implying, then I hereby demand that all the foregoing caddish, male chauvinist pig posts by all of us be immediately deleted from this thread and that we all get on board in a combined golf architecture analysis/wedding planner head scratching session to come up with the absolute ideal golf hole in all the world to spend your wedding night on. Actually, forget about a golf hole. We'll give you the whole golf course!

Ah, you really are such a sweet, kind and sensitive man. Why didn't you say what you really meant on the first post of this thread?

Look, there are lots of us on here with some serious connections. If you're serious about this there's probably nutin we can't or won't do for you.

Let's say you pick NGLA.

I'll personally get Salinetti to set up the Bottle Hole for you and Dawn to have cocktails on. Then you can skip and jump over to the redan and dance a few legs over there. Then you can run giggling over to the "Short" and roll around on about 9,000 sf or some serious internal contour undulations.

We could join you for a quick wedding dinner on the double plateau of #11 and then you could hie on over to the Punch Bowl or something to hunker down for the wedding night.

You want him to set up the wedding bed/green firm and fast with maybe some triple rolling or do you and Miss Dawn want soft and receptive or maybe half and half?

You and Miss Dawn just name it and it will happen, Baby!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:07:45 PM by TEPaul »

paul cowley

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 09:00:45 PM »
...you are the man....the best man.

This was not what I intended this thread to be, but thank you for the idea.

I just hope she doesn't see this....hopefully she's off at bridge lessons or belly dancing.

CHrisB

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 09:07:32 PM »
I doubt it was their wedding night, but someone (probably a couple of University of St. Andrews students) left evidence of late night escapade on the Swilken Bridge when I played the Old Course several years back. Took a little magic out of the moment for me...

Fortunately I've played there a bunch so it wasn't the only time I've crossed the bridge, but I'm sure some others playing that day weren't so lucky...

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 09:12:38 PM »
"This was not what I intended this thread to be, but thank you for the idea."

BULLSHIT.

If it's not what you intended then it should be what you intended. Let's just take it to the next level---this is what it will be!!

When she gets back from belly dancing you be sure to tell her you've just organized something that can definitely top the world championship of belly dancing.  ;)

By the way, if Miss Dawn wants some belly dancers at the wedding I'd recommend the 17th green. I think Peconic Bay would be a fine backdrop for some beautiful undulating belly dancing bellies.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:19:43 PM by TEPaul »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 09:14:44 PM »
From the book, Golf for the People: bethpage and the Black:

There are many couples who play the game of golf together, and Bethpage has had more than its share of those who have enjoyed a day this way. About forty years ago, one such couple, who evidently had a great love for the game, decided to play a round together late one afternoon, the day AFTER they had gotten married. As the sun was lowering in the sky, they played the fifteenth hole of the green course, a wonderful par three whose tee is on a high hill overlooking the green. They finished the hole, and not being familiar with the course, turned right instead of left when leaving the green. Walking through the trees, they teed off on what they thought was
sixteen, but was actually the fourth hole of the Black.

Well, several holes later, common sense finally dictated that they had made a mistake, and they tried to walk in to the clubhouse in what was now a quickly darkening sunset. Some more wrong turns got them further lost until the inevitable occurred. New bride was in tears, new groom was angry and upset and they were late for some sort of family function. They
wandered some more, getting even further lost out in the dark of night on the Black course.

Meanwhile, at the family gathering, some family members who knew that they had played that day, and in a state of concern over their extreme lateness, drove over to the course to see if they had finished up play. They found their car standing alone in the parking lot, the rest of the place deserted. In a panic they called the police who then began a search of the park until several hours later the happy couple were located, wandering around on the Black course, exhausted and looking for the way home.

What a way to spend your honeymoon. I can’t help but be curious as to whether they remained married to each other and if they continued to play golf together all these long years since.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 09:40:53 PM »
C'mon, first which hole for suicide and now your wedding night? Dude, please. OT :o

Is there a difference?   :-X

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 10:07:45 PM »
I doubt it was their wedding night, but someone (probably a couple of University of St. Andrews students) left evidence of late night escapade on the Swilken Bridge when I played the Old Course several years back. Took a little magic out of the moment for me...

Chris,

What do you mean?  They just left a party ballon or two or three for you to blowup to celebrate your round at TOC... ;D

As for the lost couple at bethpage...sheez, lost in the forest, day after I'm married, I'm not thinking lets find our way out.  I'm thinking find a nice little grassy patch.... 8)

Roger Tufts

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 10:20:09 PM »
As far as holes I've played, Probably #9 at RCD.
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Doug Wright

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 11:19:51 AM »
I spent part of the night before my wedding on the 10th hole at Pebble Beach--solo. We were staying near Carmel beach and I couldn't sleep so wandered down to the beach and up the dune to the 10th green. Then walked up the 10th fairway to the 9th green. A fine spot for reflection on the eve of a big event as well as a couple great golf holes!

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tom Yost

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 02:10:11 PM »
19th hole.

Tom

Mike_Young

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 02:28:18 PM »
" If you were going to spend your Wedding Night on a golf hole....which one would it be and why?"

I guess that one at the Everglades club down in Palm Beach because I tried it out one time in the middle of the night back in 1962 and it worked just fine.

We finally have found something in common.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back