News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re:the Golf Club Atlas Writers Ranking List
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2007, 01:40:50 AM »
Kavanaugh gets my vote.  The man is a relentless force of nature.

Way to go Mike, you just blew your nomination.

Instead, I will nominate Ian Andrew and John Kirk.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Willie_Dow

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2007, 10:20:16 AM »
Being more of a reader than writer, I can't imagine leaving out Wayne Morrison among those who have given so much of their time to bring us along this trail.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2007, 10:29:20 AM »
To me, there is Gib Papazian and everybody else.  Among 'everybody else', nods go to the architects, supers/assistants, and other professional (golf-related) writers who contribute here.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2007, 10:42:10 AM »
Gee, maybe we should rank the Golf Course Architects who contribute to golfclubatlas.com -- as architects, of course, and possibly as human beings, too!

That sounds like a good idea. I mean, they'll enjoy it -- right? Who doesn't love being ranked?

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2007, 10:45:11 AM »
To me, there is Gib Papazian and everybody else.  Among 'everybody else', nods go to the architects, supers/assistants, and other professional (golf-related) writers who contribute here.

Scott,

Did you spend the night or just have dinner at Gib's house.  I only got the dinner.  We need to expose all conflicts or this ranking will be meaningless.  So what brought you out of the shadows...Heading to Olympic?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2007, 10:46:45 AM »
Gee, maybe we should rank the Golf Course Architects who contribute to golfclubatlas.com -- as architects, of course, and possibly as human beings, too!

That sounds like a good idea. I mean, they'll enjoy it -- right? Who doesn't love being ranked?

Apparently you found a cure for your emoticonstipation.....

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2007, 11:17:52 AM »
You know, maybe I saw this all wrong, but I thought Paul C was simply offering us an opportunity to indulge the more generous sides of our natures, and to simply compliment those who we think add something here with their writing (in many different ways: as gca experts, as humourists, as clear and thoughtful communicators etc).

I also think -- and again, I could be all wrong -- that there was an implied comment on all this ranking business, i.e. that rankings can be approached not in terms of better or (worse) worse, but in terms of praising architecture that we particularly like; focusing on the positive, if you like, and recognizing that, as with writing, there are many different aspects/styles/approaches that can be appreciated.

You'll rarely see me knocking a course or an architect, and rarely do I participate in ranking courses (partly because I don't know enough).  It's not that I'm particularly nice; I just find that I'm happier not focussing on the negative.

Peter

paul cowley

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2007, 11:50:25 AM »

Apparently you found a cure for your emoticonstipation.....

;D

....no Joe, I think he's just a little rankled  ;)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Norbert P

Re:Golf Club Atlas Writers Ranking
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2007, 01:00:53 PM »

I prefer the Doak Scale:

6. A very good writer, definitely worth a read if you’re in the can . . .

Dave, I think your list is excellent but, are folks actually taking laptops into the poop den?  I hope not. The image forces me to proclaim hereafter to never borrow anyone's computer.

If I named my Top Ten GCA writers, I'd be creating a list of 1490 enemies.  

I think you're all equally swell writers. Some writers are just more equal than others.
  (Variation on a theme from George Orwell's "Animal Farm")

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Doug Wright

Re:Golf Club Atlas Writers Ranking
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2007, 01:46:08 PM »

I prefer the Doak Scale:

6. A very good writer, definitely worth a read if you’re in the can . . .

Dave, I think your list is excellent but, are folks actually taking laptops into the poop den?  

Slag,

Probably not, but then there are Blackberries and Iphones...

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2007, 09:38:53 PM »
About designers who write, and writers who design — Ron Whitts-his name once told me:

"Forrest — when you architects stop writing books, I'll stop designing courses."

So, I did.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 09:39:17 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

TEPaul

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2007, 12:44:08 AM »
PaulC:

Rather than ask everyone who can contribute to this site to rank the writers on here you should probabaly ask all those named on this thread to date why it is they even do write on this website.

Twenty years ago if someone told me I'd be spending this much time thinking about golf course architecture I'd have told them them they must be thinking about someone else.

There are some ups and downs to participating and writing on this site regularly but I can tell you in my entire 63 years I don't think anything has interested me as deeply as golf course architecture.

The odd or perhaps sad thing is I'm not exactly sure why, yet.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 12:45:36 AM by TEPaul »

paul cowley

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2007, 05:35:40 AM »
Tom ....its good to have you back. I'm going to rank you in the top three of contributors here who are missed most when they have a lapse in their posting. ;)

But no Tom, I think you might know me enough to know that I really have no interest in trying to rank anyone.....recognise maybe....but not by trying to compare or elevate one person over another.

It has been interesting to see the competitive nature of some of those who take it that seriously, both pro and con.

With this thread I was just bringing to light a comparison I made while reflecting on the high level of discourse that occurs on this site.....and its all through the medium of writing. I was also reflective of the fact that in my previous 30 years I bet I had not written enough words to fit into one of your longer posts.
I just didn't have the time or get any enjoyment from it.

This site has changed my habits in that respect.

I guess I was just taking stock and doing a little mental inventory assessment of the folks who hang out here, and I wanted to bring that out somehow...but not solely by my means, but by recruiting others to do it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 09:18:49 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

TEPaul

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2007, 08:19:50 AM »
Paul:

I must congratulate you on what you say is your type writing improvement. One can't spend much time contributing on here without improving that.

GOLFCLUBATLAS.com and the INTERNET itself in how things get around the world to others is an amazing phenomenon particularly for some of us old enough to remember the world that had none of that.

You add a whole lot to this site because your open mind and out-side the box thinking shows through well. That's what this site can't get enough of in my opinion. It beats discussions of ranking courses and such every time in my book. Plus fresh things can happen out in the field with it and because of it.

By the way, weren't we talking about the strategic concepts of various cosmic debris mounds?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 08:21:13 AM by TEPaul »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2007, 10:10:10 AM »
PaulC:

Rather than ask everyone who can contribute to this site to rank the writers on here you should probabaly ask all those named on this thread to date why it is they even do write on this website.

TePaul,

I think that is the one question we all avoid asking ourselves the most.......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back