News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brock Peyer

Outside agency????....I am bothered
« on: August 26, 2007, 01:44:24 PM »
I saw about 15 minutes of the telecast of the Fedex Cup yesterday.  Either the last group or second to the last group were around and on the 18th green.  I noticed the scoreboard next to the green would show the player whose turn it was and how far they were from the hole whether off or on the green.  I think it was Stricker who was in the bunker and was like 36 feet from the hole and then it also showed the length of his putt after he played his shot.  I understand that a guy who makes his livining playing golf on TV will likely have an incredible touch but I don't think it is right for them to show his distance to the hole where it is visible to him.  This seems to be getting help from an outside agency.

I must say that I love shotlink whether on PGATOUR.COM or when it is used in the telecast.  I am a numbers freak and often when I am 40 or more feet away from the hole, I will count my steps to the hole from my ball or vice versa as I am lining up the putt.  I would bet some of you do the same, I try to get a feel for my putts and compare them to other putts in my mind.

It may not be a big deal but it doesn't seem right to me.  Let me say this also, I don't think that it is right for a viewer to call in a penalty on someone, that didn't happen years ago when golf wasn't on TV and I don't think it is fair to the players.  The players themselves and the officials should officiate or hold themselves accountable to the rules.

What's next, will there be someone waiting at a player's ball ready to give him the yardage down to foot?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 01:46:05 PM by Brock Peyer »

Roger Tufts

Re:Outside agency????....I am bothered
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 05:13:25 PM »
Let me say this also, I don't think that it is right for a viewer to call in a penalty on someone, that didn't happen years ago when golf wasn't on TV and I don't think it is fair to the players.  The players themselves and the officials should officiate or hold themselves accountable to the rules.

To be honest, I've always thought this too. Even if it leaves a little up to chance like say Baseball officials, without having instant replay and all.

I've thought about that a lot since the PGA Championship when nobody called Beam on wiping his hat in his line while lining up a putt. It shouldn't be the responsibility of people watching on TV. Especially if somebody calls in AFTER A ROUND and a score is changed because of it.

As for the outside agency, I agree with you that the players shouldn't be able to see it. I am a fan of looking at it myself as it's kinda cool to know exact distances and to see how they play some shots from off the green, that sort of thing. But for putting especially, them being able to see it gives them a slight advantage, although not one over the field as they are all given the same advantage.
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

CHrisB

Re:Outside agency????....I am bothered
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 05:28:48 PM »
I've thought about that a lot since the PGA Championship when nobody called Beam on wiping his hat in his line while lining up a putt. It shouldn't be the responsibility of people watching on TV. Especially if somebody calls in AFTER A ROUND and a score is changed because of it.

Roger,

Rich Beem was allowed to wipe away loose impediments with his hat because his ball was off the green. I remember him having a laugh with some of the press people afterward--he knew exactly what he was doing and was amused that so many people freaked out about it.

Brock,

I doubt there are too many pros out there who would be helped by knowing the exact footage to the hole. In fact, I think it would be a distraction for many. But it is information, regardless of whether it is used/useful or not.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 05:38:34 PM by Chris Brauner »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back