News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Boerger

The Apex of Geekiness ...
« on: August 24, 2007, 09:02:16 AM »

I walk 95% of the time and, playing mostly in the mid-Atlantic, where the weather can be oppressive, I love using my leather scorecard carrier. With it, I almost never misplace my pencil and the card rarely gets sweaty. Many I play with roll their eyes at me, but a few (the insightful ones) comment positively.

Is there something you use when you play golf that almost none of your playing partners use?
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Chris_Clouser

Re:The Apex of Geekiness ...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 09:19:46 AM »
A ball retriever.

And though I haven't been carrying it lately, a 1-iron.  

And from the looks of the greens the last time I played, evidently nobody carries something to fix ball marks on the green.   >:(  It looked like Jeff Stettner and myself were the only ones fixing these all week on the course we played.  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 09:24:26 AM by Chris_Clouser »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 09:26:11 AM »
Probably the geekiest things I do is always playing with one type of golf ball. Some guys I play with have rolled their eyes when I find a brand-new ProV1x in the woods and give it away rather than keeping it to use. They can't imagine why I'd pay for a new dozen HX Hot balls every month or two when I find many "better" balls around the course.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 09:28:30 AM »
A ball retriever.

::)

Just kidding, Chris. Sort of.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 09:31:41 AM »
Is there something you use when you play golf that almost none of your playing partners use?

An abacus.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

JeffTodd

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:35:35 AM »
I use the hated neoprene iron head covers. I walk almost every round, and iron head covers make the walk much more peaceful and quiet. Further, since most people I play with ride rather than walk, the covers allow me to move silently (out of the line of sight) while playing partners are hitting their shots, helping me not only keep up, but play at a fast pace that I enjoy. And yes, I do like the fact that my irons still look new. I hope this revelation doesn't make me a pariah. Other than that, my golf bag is about as lean as it can get. I carry no other goofy accessories.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 09:36:21 AM »
Just have an in-round discussion about the question at the bottom of my profile...

...that'll do it.

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 10:04:23 AM »
A Clubrunner...

Although there are a lot of them at my course, none of the guys I play with use one.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 10:08:28 AM »

::) ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 10:09:27 AM »
Jim,

Pat Mucci is probably going to want that back... though it would explain why he hasn't been posting too frequently lately.

;)

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 10:10:58 AM »
I use the hated neoprene iron head covers. I walk almost every round, and iron head covers make the walk much more peaceful and quiet. Further, since most people I play with ride rather than walk, the covers allow me to move silently (out of the line of sight) while playing partners are hitting their shots, helping me not only keep up, but play at a fast pace that I enjoy. And yes, I do like the fact that my irons still look new. I hope this revelation doesn't make me a pariah. Other than that, my golf bag is about as lean as it can get. I carry no other goofy accessories.

and i think the rattling of the irons in the bags is one of the great sounds of golf!  different strokes for different folks..

and ball retrievers= bad karma i think!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 10:40:03 AM »
I'm sorry but I don't do anything geeky on the golf course.  

Pathetic?  Certainly.  Geeky?  Never.

I will back on my man on that.  In fact he's a damn good arbiter/spotter of geekiness.  He weaned me off a putter cover.  I plead temporary insanity.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 10:52:26 AM »
I use an "Emoticon PU 37 Shot Modulator"

"Oh drat these computers...they are so naughty and complex" - Marvin

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 11:14:48 AM »

Jeff- Don't you worry about being shouted down as a pariah. As the "Snob" thread illustrated, everyone has their own personal quirks. At least yours are in the absolute correct camp, based on being considerate and keeping pace.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Kelly

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 11:15:06 AM »
He weaned me off a putter cover.

This line is just screaming for an answer.

Talking about your hanging curves!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 11:18:48 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, that is waiting to be smacked.  Dan, you're a good man to let the pitch go by.

;D

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 11:25:59 AM »
I have a brush to clean my clubs - I rationalize it by thinking it works better than a wet towel.

I also have my Treo that has the USGA rules and decisions bookmarked (haven't used it on course yet).
Steve Pozaric

Michael Dugger

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
One of the fellas in my golfing crew turns the scorecard into something like a work of art what with all his dots, slashes and notations.  

Dots for fairways hit.  Dots for GIRs.  Dots for birdies.  Dots for sand saves.  Dots for putts made over the length of the flagstick.  

Then he circles birdies on the card.  Puts a square around pars.  He notates where someone gets a stroke due to handicap.  

He notates how many putts on each hole, for everyone in the group.  

Then you have to know where the flagstick is...I.E. plus 4, minus 7, etc.

By the time we are finished with the round and in the clubhouse, I have a beer finished before he gets everything tallied up!

Seriously, it is the most intricate scorecard I have ever seen.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 12:33:23 PM »
I don't know if this is geeky or just odd.  I will not walk through the tee markers on the lady's tees.  As I reread it I guess it qualifies as odd.

I am the original ball hawker.  I will walk through the woods for my ball even when it is hit down the middle.  And before you get all over me, I keep up the pace of play.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John_Cullum

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 12:46:49 PM »
I also have my Treo

I don't even know what that is
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John_Cullum

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 12:47:40 PM »
Shivas will be happy to know I lost my putter cover about 6 weeks ago, and I'm too cheap to replace it
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Roger Tufts

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 01:05:16 PM »
Probably the geekiest things I do is always playing with one type of golf ball. Some guys I play with have rolled their eyes when I find a brand-new ProV1x in the woods and give it away rather than keeping it to use. They can't imagine why I'd pay for a new dozen HX Hot balls every month or two when I find many "better" balls around the course.

I do this too. Found balls have bad karma, they're lost. I always throw other balls to playing partners or just toss them back like an inadequate fish catch.

I always use a divot-repair tool I got at Talking Stick in Arizona... It's one of those that you push the button and the tool comes out of a little black box-thing kind of like a West-Side-Story-esque gang knife, haha. I just like it so it never jabs me in my pocket.

I also always use the European club-cleaning tools with the slide-up iron wool... have one from Prestwick and one from Portmarnock.

Other than that, nothing... although I take extra cards from everywhere I play to keep them in a shoe-box collection... some guys think this is weird *shrug*

During High School matches I used to keep the FIR, GIR, Putt counts on the card just for my own personal stats.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 01:08:16 PM by Roger Tufts »
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 02:30:01 PM »
I also have my Treo

I don't even know what that is

Shouldn't admit it on this board, but cellphone, email machine with high speed web access.  Yes, I abide by the each club's rules re usage and do not use the cell phone when it could bother others.
Steve Pozaric

Dan Kelly

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 02:36:05 PM »
I abide by the each club's rules re usage and do not use the cell phone when it could bother others.

Make sure you leave it on if you're ever out playing No. 7 on the Old Course, disoriented.

A magical -- almost unbelievable! -- thing might happen.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 02:43:57 PM »
Besides the usual routines, I use a plastic brush thing with plastic bristles on one side, and metal on the other.

Not that it's that weird, but when you are playing in these amateur events and half the guys are dressed like tour pros and have the body language to match, you look like a 6-year old pulling out the brush, flicking the bristles out, and brushing a club after a shot....

If you want to get into superstitions...they go on forever...only prov1x's, 5 ball markers in my pocket...etc...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 02:46:04 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back