News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Cunningham

Bayonne Golf Club goes public!
« on: August 23, 2007, 08:57:41 PM »
How excited would golfers in the Metro NY area be if this statement were true?  After a recent trip, I was struck at just how poor public golf is in an area infamous for its golf course architecture.  I chose Bayonne as an example of what would no doubt be considered the number 1 or number 2 best public course in the metro NY area.  If in fact Bayonne was developed as a public course, how long would it take (and at what green fee) to make the project at least the financial equal of the current private model, with its estimated $250K initiation and $20K per year dues?  As a public facility, could it ever make more money?  How much would NY area golfers pay to play a world class (and extremely fun) course?

Steve Lapper

Re:Bayonne Golf Club goes public!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:05:36 PM »
1) Excited:Very
2) Financial Equivalent of Private:Forever
3) Daily Fee Charged: Not enough
4) Financial Parity: Never
5) See #3
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 09:07:06 PM »
While I don't know the specifics of the NYC market, I'm sure that with a population base that large Bayonne would probably be a financial success.

But, couldn't this be said for courses in all the country?  I would think that there are a huge number of well known private clubs that could make big money if public.

Andrew Cunningham

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:13:03 PM »
That's exactly what I wondered about.  At $64 in State, Bethpage Black is a steal.  At $128 out of State it is a bargain.  My guess is that if Pebble can sell every tee time at $475, Bayonne could fill every time for say $225 maybe more???

john_stiles

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 10:37:03 PM »
Seem to recall that residents of Bergen County or Bayonne can play at limited times ?

If true, what is their rate ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back