News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Walker Cup Chances
« on: August 22, 2007, 10:17:34 PM »
I will be at the matches in a couple of weeks and something has been percolating for the last couple of weeks that i need to air out.

Altho this is  ot i think the strategy or lack thereof involved in a match play format is more accessable to outside opinion than that of individual medal players.

Anyway i question a previous thread that trumpeted the strength of oiur team and captain for these reasons:

USA is not a team yet. The final two won't be named until after this weekend. No wonder we have trouble in these events with that kind of approach. Wouldn't a serious effort to win these matches be better served by the USGA developing a team rather than honoring players by delaying that development to account for the serendipity of a usa am winner?

I read that our partial team was practicing at Caves Valley, a Fazio course, when our captain belongs to a number of classic layouts. What could be further from RCD links setup than a bloody inland fazio course?( I admit i have never seen Caves Valley so i making an assumption here).

Something we can do nothing about- a local hero in the guise of Rory Mcleroy -will bring the Irish out and rally the already team oriented GB&Is.

RCD  is unlike anything these guys have played in college matches or over here at all  most likely.

I welcome more recent information that may counter my lilited exposure but i don't think i will ruin chances to party with the winners by being insufferably red white and blue during the contest.

Ward McPeyronnin

PS. I am a Cruden Bay memeber and wonder if any of you all know the latest on the course changes.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Johnny_Browne

Re:Walker Cup Chances
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 04:57:47 PM »
Ward,
I hope I might see you there.  Course is in good shape although not too dry as we have had a wet summer in Ireland. There will be very big crowds - not only is Rory McIlroy playing but Jonathan Caldwell who is also from Northern Ireland ensuring a sell out of tickets.  The Gb&I team have had quite a lot of play on links courses and have been to RCD at least twice to practice.  I think they will be favourites but it is a very short sprint over 2 days and whoever gets the best start will be hard to beat.
Johnny

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 06:00:19 PM »
Fellows, I too will be at the Walker Cup.  Can anyone suggest a good place and time to rendezvous?

In line with Ward's thoughts, I don't know why they haven't picked young Weaver yet, he's already won the British Am on a links!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:20:29 PM »
I just talked with Buddy Marucci this morning.  Of course he said nothing but I wished him well next week.  I also talked with Colt Knost who said he was really looking forward to going over.  If you have a chance watch him play because he is fantastic and is probably the favorite to win the Amateur.

I watched almost all 21 holes of Jamie Lovemark today and really question if this kid can play links golf?   It was one of my questions to Buddy because Lovemark has never heard of a chip and run and his ball flight is a mile high.  Every chip around the green is with his sand wedge which to me doesn't fit at Royal County Down.

I would love to see Buddy pick Josh Dupont for one of the spots but he fell apart on the 17th hole leading 1 up to lose to Jamie Lovemark.  The kid is probably 5'9 and weighs 150 pounds. He hits it a mile which I think rattled Lovemark.  If he makes par on 17 or 18 he wins but he failed on both.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 07:57:14 PM »
Mr Peyronnin
Your post reads like a win at all costs.........and here was me looking forward to a good weekend of competition .

PS. how does a member of Cruden Bay not know whats going on ?

PPS. I flew over it two nights ago , and it looked just fine !

ward peyronnin

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 11:42:03 PM »
Hello Johnnie

Congrats on Rcd being  named so highly in the golf ranks.

when at chicago, which is a great golf but a big  town, the daily crowds numbered ~2-3000 and NO ROPES. When you say say sold out do you think maneuvering will be more restricted at Rcd bcause of larger crowds? Do you have any other players you would recommend we seek out to watch?
any tips as to how you plan to take in the matches at RCD?

Newcastle is very small Bill and Slieve Donard will no doubt be awash with blue blazers. We are staying in Belfast its a pretty small tournament so surely we will see one another when the final groups finish: i will be wearing the leopard skin kilt. Maybe we should meet in Ardglass.

Brian,

I am an overseas member and alas didin't make it over since my annual notice recvd last winter. and i have an ulterior motive to id other ovrszs mebers so i can ask them their opinion regarding changes. Why do you redo the ~68 top course in the world?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 03:43:36 AM »
""Why do you redo the ~68 top course in the world?

In Scotland , tinkering normally happens when a club is too successful , have money spare , an have no idea what to do with it .
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:48:58 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 05:22:25 PM »
Newcastle is very small Bill and Slieve Donard will no doubt be awash with blue blazers. We are staying in Belfast its a pretty small tournament so surely we will see one another when the final groups finish: i will be wearing the leopard skin kilt. Maybe we should meet in Ardglass.

We are staying down in Kilkeel so will look for you on the course.  You should be pretty visible in that leopard skin kilt!

We're playing Ardglass the next day before heading north to Castlerock, Portrush and Portstewart.

Looks like it will be a bit cooler than the Gulf Coast and elsewhere these days - 60* most recently!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 11:38:39 AM »
Michael Thompson didn't make the team this morning which is a real disappointment.   I guess Buddy doesn't think a runner up in the Amateur is good enough, considering he was a runner up?

John Keenan

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 11:53:32 AM »
Odd that Thompson was not chosen.

I attended the finals and he gave Colt a great Match. Would seem to be a good addition the the Walker Cup team. He was quite open that he wanted to be part of the team.
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 04:48:26 PM »
Michael Thompson didn't make the team this morning which is a real disappointment.   I guess Buddy doesn't think a runner up in the Amateur is good enough, considering he was a runner up?

I find that hard to beleive too.

Perhaps Buddy didn't pick him just to spite him for "assuming" he would make the team during his NBC interview during the final.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 05:10:55 PM »
I watched almost all 21 holes of Jamie Lovemark today and really question if this kid can play links golf?   It was one of my questions to Buddy because Lovemark has never heard of a chip and run and his ball flight is a mile high.  Every chip around the green is with his sand wedge which to me doesn't fit at Royal County Down.

Agree that Lovemark hits the ball very high, but remember that there is a golfer of some renown who uses a 60* wedge for 100% of his shots around the green, and he's been very successful on links courses.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 05:52:33 PM »
At least Buddy followed his own words when he said that the western half of the US was important in the golf world.  Four of the 10 US golfers are from the western US.

From an article during last year's Pacific Coast Amateur:

Despite the fact that just six of the 60 golfers who have comprised the last six U.S. Walker Cup teams have come from western states, Marucci pledged to look carefully at golfers from the west when making his selections for next year’s team. The 2007 Walker Cup matches, with the 10-man U.S. team competing against a team from Great Britain & Ireland, will take place September 8-9 at Royal County Down Golf Club in Northern Ireland.

“The western part of the country is very important to the USGA,” said Marucci, “and the Pacific Coast Amateur is the premiere championship in this part of the nation.”
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 06:49:25 PM »
I am shocked Thompson was not chosen. That is wild but I am not looking a this total record.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 06:58:59 PM »
I'm still surprised Drew Weaver wasn't selected after he won the British Amateur on a links course.  He would probably be the only US player with links experience!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 08:30:17 PM »
I understand that Drew could have been selected.

But look at the rankings. He finished the college season ranked 165th by Golfweek. He's 39th in Golfweek's amateur rankings, and 59th in the R&A's - not bad, to be sure.

But Kyle Stanley is 7th, 6th, and 10th in those same three categories.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 10:40:59 AM »
As entertaining and irreverent as ever, the principal's view on the USA team selection.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 10:48:14 AM »
I shall be there, so we should make a definite tryst. Any suggestions?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 10:58:03 AM »
I understand that Drew could have been selected.

But look at the rankings. He finished the college season ranked 165th by Golfweek. He's 39th in Golfweek's amateur rankings, and 59th in the R&A's - not bad, to be sure.

But Kyle Stanley is 7th, 6th, and 10th in those same three categories.

I'm not up on those rankings so had no idea he was so lowly ranked.  Makes you wonder!  Winning the British Amateur on a links course, all match play, is a different result than grinding out medal play results week after week.

Reflecting on my own college career, which was nothing like the kids today, it's a good thing we played almost 100% match play until the conference tournament.  I would never have survived!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 10:58:54 AM »

How about behind the 18th green around 11 a.m. Saturday?  That's when the first matches should start arriving.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 12:55:55 PM »

How about behind the 18th green around 11 a.m. Saturday?  That's when the first matches should start arriving.

I might join you.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 02:50:43 PM »

I might join you.

But remember, young Skywalker, er Matthew, no beer for you!

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 08:09:16 PM »
I think its silly that Trip K. was picked over the Drew Weaver. Trip has not played well all year. The basis on him being picked was playing in the U.S. Open where he missed the cut badly. There is way to many politics involved in picking the team just ask Luke List and his father.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 10:24:42 AM »
Will be behind the 18th at 11:00. Surely the adult beverages tent will be nearby?

Ward

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 02:42:45 PM »
Saturday, 11.00 it is, behind the 18th green.  I look forward to meeting you all again. Mark.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back