News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Tacoma Country & Golf Club
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:02:04 PM »
I'm staying in Tacoma and I have heard bits and pieces about Tac Country & Golf Club. Is it StanlSteamer or Macaan?

Do any of you have any information on this club?

And as Frank Zappa once said, "She's got the garlic aroma that could level Tacoma......"

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Tacoma Country & Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:03:19 PM »
Jesse, I'll call you back later tonight! (I'm sort of in a meeting...)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:11:42 PM »
Tommy,

Its the oldest course west of the Mississippi, designed somewhere in the late 1890's.

Recently they had the Girls Junior amatuer their (or some big USGA amateur tourney) and it made for a good venue.

If you wanna play tomorrow morning call me, I dont work until later.

Cheers,
Jordan

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:13:59 AM »
Not Macan more than likely a lot of Chandler Egan.  

Gearhart is probably older as I understand the present TC&G opened in about 1907.  There is a club history and if your still in town find the used book store Tacoma books and they probably still have a copy.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 12:56:18 AM »
Tommy,

Its the oldest course west of the Mississippi, designed somewhere in the late 1890's.

I think it may be the oldest private golf club, but not course.  They moved from the course they laid out in the 1890's.  

Eric Johnson

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 07:34:54 AM »
Tommy,

I think it may be the oldest private golf club, but not course.  They moved from the course they laid out in the 1890's.  

I think the members at Waverley CC in Portland would take issue with that statement.

“Waverley Country Club has led the way for virtually all golf in the state. Waverley, or Waverly Golf Club as it was originally known, has been the center of the golf universe in Oregon since opening in 1896.”

Pacific Northwest Golf Association

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Eric, a 9 hole course in Iowa says it has been in operation since 1892.  

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:50:40 PM »
Tommy,

I think the members at Waverley CC in Portland would take issue with that statement.

“Waverley Country Club has led the way for virtually all golf in the state. Waverley, or Waverly Golf Club as it was originally known, has been the center of the golf universe in Oregon since opening in 1896.”

Pacific Northwest Golf Association

Doesn't Old Del Monte in Monterey also claim to be the oldest west of the miss.?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »
Not Macan more than likely a lot of Chandler Egan.  

Gearhart is probably older as I understand the present TC&G opened in about 1907.  There is a club history and if your still in town find the used book store Tacoma books and they probably still have a copy.

Seattle CC was finished in 1900, and Tacoma CC is supposed to be older...

Mike Wagner

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 02:00:26 PM »
Old Del Monte is the oldest continually running course.  TG &CC shut down for a period, but opened earlier.  It's technically older, just not continually running.

Joe Bentham

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 03:12:49 PM »
They've been playing golf at Gearhart since 1888.  Was a 4 holer in 1892, became 9 holes in 1901 and was expanded to 18 in 1913.  Egan finished his redesign in 1935.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 10:45:10 PM »
Sorry Jordan, but the club website says this:

"Employees of Scottish firms began playing golf on the prairie lands of South Tacoma in 1892. By 1894 Alexander Baillie and a handful of others organized a club, leased 280 acres at Edison (South Tacoma) and built a clubhouse.

In 1904 the Tacoma Golf Club merged with the Tacoma Country Club on American Lake, and work began on a new course and clubhouse."

Shortly after the new course opened Tacoma C&GC hired "Long" Jim Barnes as their pro.  Barnes was one of Walter Hagen's pals and played well in several prominent tournaments through the twenties.

The Club dates from 1894 but has not been on the same site since then.  The present course was indeed opened in the 1906-07 time frame.  The original Edison Site, as far as I can tell was in the area of South 56th Street and South Tacoma Way, not far from the present property occupied by the Tacoma Mall.  This would aslo have placed it near a large railyard and although prior to the invention of the airplane, near Tacoma's first airport.  Which by the way, I thought would make great land for a golf course.

http://www.tacomacountryandgolfclub.com/

Cheers

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:48:05 PM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 11:30:44 PM »
Tacoma Golf Club was founded in 1894 (just west of what is now the Tacoma Mall) and moved to its present site in 1904-1905 and became the Tacoma Country and Golf Club.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no indications that Stanley Thompson or A.V. Macan had anything to do with the layout, which was laid out by the original members (one of them named Alexander Baillie who supposedly imported the first set of golf clubs into the Port of Tacoma.)

When I was the Asst. Supt. from 1990-1993, we found an old set of plans for the first piping system (wooden pipe) that was installed in 1917.  The routing of the golf course on this plan was virtually the same as the existing routing of the golf course that lasted until 1989, when the golf course added three new holes and expanded the driving range per a John Steidel Master Plan.  So, this has always led me to believe that the golf course had never been tinkered with throughout the years.

SS

Jordan Wall

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 12:24:43 AM »
Cos,

Does that make Seattle CC older?

In the clubhouse their are ancient (and completely awesome) pictures of the course from 1900...way different than it is now.

igrowgrass

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 01:01:42 AM »
Anyone know the other years of clubs in Seattle?

Overlake?
Broadmoor?
Inglewood?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 01:31:40 AM »

Overlake? 1960's I think, Im pretty sure it was '62
Inglewood? Not sure, I think it was 50's though

Broadmoor? Broadmoor was began as a Jewish club.  Seattle CC originally did not allow Jewish or African-American members so their needed to be another club that allowed those folks.  It was designed in (I think) 1929 so it is an old club as well.  Not as old as Seattle or Tacoma, but old nonetheless.

Pat Howard

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 03:48:56 AM »

Overlake?
Broadmoor?
Inglewood?

All three are Macan designs.

Inglewood opened in 1919-1920, depending on your source.
Broadmoor followed a few years later in 1927.
Overlake's original 18 dated to 1927 also but was completely redesigned by Macan in '53.

Have fun at Tacoma, Tommy, it's one of my favorite in the state.

P.S. - Good to see you on here Scott!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 03:54:32 AM by Pat Howard »

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 09:54:43 AM »
Jordan Tacoma is an older club with a newer course.  Lost in this discussion is the Spokane CC which was 1898, but it too changed locations and opened a new course around 1910.  

Fircrest also here in Tacoma was built in 1924.  Interestingly, there was very little further development until a flurry of activity in the mid sixties with the additions Twin Lakes, Fairwood, and Oakbrook.  All three were built by Weyerhauser as housing developments and designed by land planner Robert Brout and Canadian Jack Reimer. Reimer designed several courses in western Washington during the same period.  Reimer's credits include the above three, The Cascade at Gold Mountain, lake Wilderness, Dungeness, and Lake Spanaway(which I believe he completed for Macan after Macan's death in 1964).  Although Reimer's works were pretty straightforward they have stood the test of time very well.  His contribution to golf in this area has been long overlooked.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back