News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Little OT: US/UK TV 4:3/16:9
« on: August 17, 2007, 04:21:20 PM »
Since the Tour moved over to Setanta here in Blighty, I've noticed quite a lot of the events are in 4:3. Means I get two big black bars either side of the pic on my widescreen.

Sky, I think, used to stretch the pic so it was distorted. Meant all those flat-bellies looked squished but filled the screen.

Are they broadcasting this/most weeks in 16:9 and undistorted in the US? Or do you guys get the 4:3 coverage too?

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Martin Del Vecchio

Re:Little OT: US/UK TV 4:3/16:9
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 11:57:17 PM »
CBS's high-definition broadcasts are all 16:9, and all in high-definition.

NBC cheats; their stationary cameras are 16:9 and high-definition, but the hand-helds are 4:3 and standard-definition, then stretched to fit the 16:9 and high-definition formats.

And both networks have a standard definition broadcast that is always 4:3.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 11:11:50 PM »
Thursday-Friday Golf Channel coverage is also 16:9, with a 4:3 version as well for the non-HD equipped.
And NBC's handhelds aren't stretched from 4:3, but blown up - or are 16:9 standard rather than HD - sometimes it's hard to tell. But they sure aren't HD.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 08:01:39 PM »

Martin,

I was shocked when I first saw the title of this thread. Read it very quickly and thought it was somehow related to "Little Britain". I am glad I looked a second time. Can you imagine?

In Canada most of us get it through cable providers picking up the US Networks and generally it is pretty good, so long as it is CBS. NBC tend to rely on the non hi-def remote cameras too much.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back