News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Roundtable Discussion #1: Discussion Thread
« on: August 19, 2007, 12:26:04 PM »
Please use this thread to respond to responses on the Q&A thread.

Kyle Harris

Re:Roundtable Discussion #1: Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 01:13:17 PM »
Kmoum,

I am somewhat surprised by your responses, considering you're a superintendent. Are these discussions with other golfers, or other superintendents?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 01:16:22 PM »
Kmoum,

I am somewhat surprised by your responses, considering you're a superintendent. Are these discussions with other golfers, or other superintendents?

Kyle,

(edited) His name is familiar within our industry.

He's not a super, but very involved with us.

Joe
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 01:39:20 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 01:19:07 PM »
Kmoum,

Kyle,

Don't you get email communications from GCSAA? You should know Ken's name from his position at world headquarters.... ;D

He's not a super, but very involved with us.

Joe

Sorry, Ken, if I stepped on any toes.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 01:46:59 PM by Kyle Harris »

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 01:41:41 PM »
Kyle, here are your original questions:

1. What sort of concepts and ideas do you discuss with others regarding golf architecture?

I discuss micro and macro concepts; depending on the other person or people in the conversation and their level of understanding of golf and architecture. Depending on the understanding of the other party, it could range from why features look as they do to evolution of bunkering or maintenace practices.

It needs to be subdivided depending on the audience
[/red]

2. When discussing golf architecture with a inexperienced, yet eager to learn golfer, with what concept do you begin?

I would ask them about another course they are familiar with, and ask them to describe features.  Especially if they're inexperienced or not mindful of architecture-just ask them about a course familiar to them that I may know of as well.  Ask them what they like about it.  [/red]

3. What golf courses features are most discussed with other golfers?

Kyle, please get more specific; do you mean good or experienced golfers or general publinx players?[/red]

4. On what ideas do you most encounter resistance or opposing viewpoints?

Generally speaking, placement and existence of trees and ornamental plantings on a golf course; lakes and water features; green vs. brown.[/red]

5. What do you believe are the most common misconceptions about the importance and concepts of golf architecture

There's only one way to do things and all golf courses are basically the same; I need to expand on this--I'll be back later.  
[/red]

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 01:48:12 PM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Ken Moum

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 01:48:38 PM »
Kmoum,

<snip Joe's post>

Just assumed he was, at one point, a superintendent. Sorry, Ken, if I stepped on any toes.

You're not the first person to think that, so don't worry about it.

Some background -- I am a longtime editor/writer. Prior to working where I do now, I was an information officer for a state game and fish agency for 23 years and I have a degree in wildlife and fisheries science, but never practiced.

Back to the subject at hand. I answered your questions in reference to my interaction with other golfers, and that's how I find them. For the mos part, they don't seem to care about the architecture, other than to complain about stuff they think is "unfair."

I don't recall having many discussions about architecture with superintendents either before I got my current job (in 1999), or after. When I do get to meet superintendents on their courses, we spend nearly all the time talking about maintenance-related stuff.

I don't get to do it nearly as often as I'd like, but the experience is always a joy.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 01:50:21 PM by kmoum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 01:50:57 PM »
Ken,

Thanks for the clarification. My surprise was based in my assumption that you had the background as a superintendent, therefore I wouldn't expect resistance to your thoughts on tree and rough usages.

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 02:39:51 PM »
Ken,

Thanks for the clarification. My surprise was based in my assumption that you had the background as a superintendent, therefore I wouldn't expect resistance to your thoughts on tree and rough usages.

What's funny about that particular issue is that where I currently play we have some good players who think narrow fairways are a good thing, as they punish crooked shots.

I 2005-2006, my wife and I took a leave from the club, and during that time the fairways got a lot narrower. So I assumed it was their influence, and I was saddened by it.

Not wanting to say anything without more information, I talked to our superintendent about it, and learned that he did it solely to save money.

He reduced the area of maintained short grass by 5 acres, which was significant under the budget restrictions that have been placed on him.

He's been a genius at producing playable conditions with a limited budget, so sad as I am, I realize it was necessary.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back