News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Doerr

Top 101-300 Rankings
« on: August 19, 2007, 01:55:46 AM »
This has probably been done before, but I don't remember reading it...

What is the impact of missing the top 100?

or

What is the impact of coming in at 217, 113, etc.?

How much does it hurt?
How much does it help to be on some list? (Top you can play, #14 in the State, etc.)

Side note:
I think John K said something about the top 100 really being the top 200. And, I think the Golfweek rankings and the Golf Digest rankings show the really slim margin that get's a course listed. The last 20 on the Modern List go from 6.78 to 6.68.  On the GD lsit, Numbers 64 to 100 go 62.07 to 60.93. On the GM list after the top 17 (#1 at 94.92) the next 83 are 59.69 to 27.27.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Jeff Doerr

Re:Top 101-300 Rankings
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 11:23:56 AM »
Thanks Sean.  I did a little deep dive into the list this morning. I'd been there before, but had not read into their methodology and the back ends of a lot of the lists.

I'm still curious what the treehouse thinks of the "Magical 100" for marketing. I know some of the really established privates probably don't care, but the newer ones and the ccfad courses must.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Gerry B

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 09:30:27 PM »
obviously the various top 100 lists are subjective - but to put it in perspective - if your course is ranked in the top 200 or 300 of all the courses in the world - that is pretty elite company if you do the math

as previously stated on this thread - the members of many of the established private course don't care what their ranking is and in some cases discourage raters . most have a waiting list and like to keep under the radar to limit the numbers of rounds

tomgoutman

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 11:36:51 PM »
Ratings are meaningless. What are the top 100 novels ever written? The top 100 poems? The top 100 paintings? To ask the question is to admit superficiality and ignorance.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 04:21:34 AM »
Ratings are meaningless. What are the top 100 novels ever written? The top 100 poems? The top 100 paintings? To ask the question is to admit superficiality and ignorance.

Tom, you are right, of course, but in debating the "top" 100 golf courses, we are not trying to discriminate between, say, Picasso and Poussin, but between Prufrock and Preludes.  the genre, the time frame (relatively),and even the "authors" (collectively) are the same.  The rules within which we myust discriminate (18 holes, 6000-7000 yards, no par 2s or par 6s, etc.) are incredibly rigid.

A gazillion angels can dance more freely on the head of a pin than can the 30-40,000 golf courses in the world.......

Rich

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 06:40:43 AM »
Ratings are very important to the golf course in terms of marketing, the ones already high to some degree dont need it, but the newer ones need to get known so appearing in lists attracts attention, one my courses got ranked #113 in the last GB& Ire Golf World list, thats put an estimated £1,000,000 on the value of the course. Also for lesser known architects to get one of your courses rated attracts attention, a high rating is prize for good work, the problem is ratings are often someones opinion and people opionions often dont get on.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back