News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Muratt

Sub-categories in Golf Magazine Rankings
« on: August 18, 2007, 12:17:12 PM »
On Golf magazine's website, the panelists also breakdown the rankings into several additional categories, below are the listings and also the link:

Best Bunkers:
1.  Royal Melbourne (West)
2.  Oakmont
3.  Sand Hills

Best Par 3's:
1.  Cypress Point
2.  Pine Valley
3.  Pacific Dunes

Best Clubhouse Atmosphere:
1. Castle Pines
2.  Winged Foot
3.  Pine Valley

Best Walks:
1.  Cypress Point
2.  Royal County Down
3.  Pebble Beach

Best Opening Hole:
1.  Machrihanish
2.  NGLA
3.  Pine Valley

Best Closing Hole:
1.  Pebble Beach
2.  Shinnecock Hills
3.  Oakmont

Best Course you'll need a Map to find:
1.  Sand Hills
2.  Pine Valley
3.  Morfontaine

Best Hole to earn bragging rights via an Eagle or Ace:
1.  Cypress Point #16
2.  Augustat National #12
3.  TPC Sawgrass #17

Best Views:
1.  Cypress Point
2.  Kauri Cliffs
3.  Royal County Down

Here is the link with photos and additional courses that received votes:
http://tinyurl.com/2vy24e
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 12:18:01 PM by Jimmy Muratt »

Joel_Stewart

Re:Sub-categories in Golf Magazine Rankings
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 04:50:21 PM »
Hard to argue with these since they only list 3.  Personally I like San Francisco Golf Club bunkers ahead of Sand Hills but its subjective.

I wonder what they mean by "clubhouse atmosphere"?  I haven't been to Castle Pines and Pine Valley is definitly electric, really fantastic. Winged Foot is questionable, I've never seen anything special there like Garden City and/or Medalist which would be my choice.

Best closing hole I would say 18th at the Old Course, Riveria, Olympic ahead of Shinny or Oakmont?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 10:14:11 PM »
The Castle Pines clubhouse is amazing, not because of grandeur, but it has about exactly what you would want in a clubhouse...the necessary amenities, pro shop, all that kind of stuff, and a very cool locker room that has a roomy feel but still enough separation to create privacy for individual groups. I've not been everywhere, but I was very impressed with that.

They do have the best milkshakes I've had at a golf course. I had been instructed prior to visiting that they were a must, and they were as good as advertised.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 10:14:26 PM by Andy Troeger »

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 10:52:50 PM »
I continue to be amazed that a hole that is no better than the fifth or sixth best hole ON THE FRONT NINE of a course gets acclaim for the best opener in golf.

I speak of Machrihanish, a course I revere, but one in which the merits of its opening hole are obscured by its setting. Yes, the drive over the Atlantic is cool, and perhaps unrivaled. And the drive is made all the better strategically by a series of pot bunkers on the far side of the fairway on the direct line away from the beach.

But I think a truly great hole must have greatness all the way from tee to green. And Machrihanish's opening hole is something of a let down after the tee shot. The land itself is fairly flat, and the bunkers fronting the green are not penal or strategic, in that they are 30-some yards in front of the green. The greensite is angled away from the beach, not hugging it, and features little of the dramatic mounding (it has some, but it's routine in the context of the rest of the course) that characterizes so much of what follows on the front nine. The green itself is rather routine, not severely contoured, and neither small nor large -- average sized. Combine Machrihanish's opening drive on 1 with the approach on hole No. 2 -- across the burn, up and over a huge sand dune to a green that is out-of-this-world, and you'd truly have a great hole.

tomgoutman

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 11:40:40 PM »
Who cares? If you do, why?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
If the bunkers at Oakmont are the 2nd best in this country...

Quick...name the two par threes on the front nine at Cypress Point.  

Where would you rather have lunch?   National Golf Links, Pine Valley, or Castle Pines?

and so on.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 01:53:44 AM »
You are an evil person, Cirba...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 09:15:56 AM »
You are an evil person, Cirba...

Thanks Rihc...I'm incorrigible, as well.  

Where do they get this stuff???   I couldn't make it up if I tried.   ;D

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 09:48:23 AM »
If the bunkers at Oakmont are the 2nd best in this country...

Quick...name the two par threes on the front nine at Cypress Point.  

Where would you rather have lunch?   National Golf Links, Pine Valley, or Castle Pines?

and so on.

#3 and #7 on CPC.

Lunch at Castle pines was fantastic. The best milk shakes around. I am not a lobster or snapper fan.

Did I pass?
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 09:50:36 AM »
Hard to argue with these since they only list 3.  Personally I like San Francisco Golf Club bunkers ahead of Sand Hills but its subjective.

I wonder what they mean by "clubhouse atmosphere"?  I haven't been to Castle Pines and Pine Valley is definitly electric, really fantastic. Winged Foot is questionable, I've never seen anything special there like Garden City and/or Medalist which would be my choice.

Best closing hole I would say 18th at the Old Course, Riveria, Olympic ahead of Shinny or Oakmont?

Joel -

The 18th at Oakmont is one of my favorite holes in golf. Picture the sun setting with the shadows crossing the fairway and the beautiful clubhouse in the distance with the lights on. It really doesn't get much better.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back