News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Ye Nine Old Holes GC in northern MI
« on: August 12, 2008, 12:40:38 PM »
Does anyone know who may have designed this course?   From what I've seen it opened in 1923, and it's supposedly quite a fun little gem.

Is it worth a stop for a quick nine?

Tom_Doak

Re: Ye Nine Old Holes GC in northern MI
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 12:58:56 PM »
Mike:  I have never heard of the course.  Where is it?  They must have renamed it recently.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 01:00:57 PM »
Any plans for Ye New Nine Holes?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 01:18:59 PM »
Tom

It looks to be on the road between Boyne Falls and Ironton along Lake Shore road.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 01:20:33 PM »
Ha!  I was just about to suggest that East Jordan is not too far from Tom's neighborhood.  I've driven through there a million times, and I even seem to recalle ye olde billboardes for "Ye Olde Nine Holles," but I have never stopped to play.

If you want some quick, good value golf within a 3-wood of I-75, I might suggest Indian River Golf Club in Indian River.  There are 8 or 9 "holles" of the ancient old golf course from another era, plus 9 new holes of credible, pleasant golf.  They have a wonderful practice area too.  You drive through the local cemetary to get there...

Really, if you are looking for a stop along I-75 for a golf break, there are at least ahlf-dozen other places to recommend, I think.  (I suppose what I ought do is to wait until somebody who has played it chimes in, right?  Still, I have my doubts that it is a long-lost Seth Raynor masterpiece... )  

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:28:50 PM »
Does anyone know who may have designed this course?   From what I've seen it opened in 1923, and it's supposedly quite a fun little gem.

Is it worth a stop for a quick nine?

Mike,

The course's name is 'Ye Nyne Olde Holles.'  I played it several years ago on the way to play True North GC in Harbor Springs.  It was a lot of fun, smallish greens, hilly terrain, etc.  As for who designed it, I will have to look at my pictures to see if it had a Reid / Connelan feel to it (they designed the orginal 9 holes at Indian River which opened around the same time).  If you are looking for a quick nine and if you look older courses, you will enjoy YNOH.

Here is the courses website, they have some pictures that are not great or flattering:

http://www.yenyne.com/index.htm

Chris

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 02:30:19 PM »
Chuck/Chris

Thanks for the information.

I'm looking primarily for a place for a quick nine the evening I get into town and it looked to fit the bill.

As always, was just curious the arch. History, or if anyone knew.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:44:02 PM »
You're not kidding about the photos.  More like the botanical gardens or a horticulture outbreak than a golf course!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 07:17:44 PM »
You're not kidding about the photos.  More like the botanical gardens or a horticulture outbreak than a golf course!

Yeah...not the best website.

The aerial view on Google Maps actually looks sort of intriguing and even the opposite of that..more rough and rugged than dutifully maintained.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:28:19 PM by MikeCirba »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 08:31:10 PM »
Actually, scratch that.

The Google Maps website makes it look intriguing all right, but more in the way of Shivas Irons playing golf at night.

The Mapquest aerial shows off the course pretty well.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Ironton&state=MI#a/maps/l:::Ironton:MI::US:45.2561:-85.186699:city:Charlevoix+County/m:hyb:11:45.242523:-85.104443:0::/io:0:::::f:EN:M:/e

Nick_Christopher

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 09:36:39 PM »
Looks like it could have been a great location.  All of northwest lower michigan is sandy and hilly.  I am guessing there are some good natural undulations and ripples in the fairways, which combined with the setting could have made for a great 9 holes. 

Given the economy in Michigan, maybe the time is right for an investor to make an offer...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back