News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Brasada Ranch
« on: August 14, 2007, 10:46:19 PM »
One of my "associates in the field" snapped these images while playing Jacobsen and Hardy's Brasada Ranch Canyons course a few weeks back.  

First Tee

Approach to 1st green

17th Hole.

Final Tee Box.

Coming home on 18.

The Home Green.

Broken Top & Three Sisters.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:10:55 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom Dunne

Re:Brasada Ranch
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 11:16:25 PM »
The sand isn't nearly white enough.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:25:27 PM »
First impression . . . cart-ball with big, white bunkers . . . (yawn).  

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 11:46:26 PM »
Can't be any good without ragged looking bunkers....and with white sand.  The horrors.

I can't figure out why you guys care so much about the color of the sand. Umm, ever see Cypress Point?  Hell it matches the snow for chrissakes for those looking to tie into the surroundings.

Looks good to me.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 12:55:05 AM »
Sorry Sean, I just don't like the look of the course.  I don't worship at the altar of ragged bunkers nor am I against white sand in all circumstances.  The photos, particularly the ones below, just aren't very inspiring and present what appears to be sort of a mundane course.  But, I could be wrong . . . . (Maybe I've jumped too enthusiatically on Sean Arble's anti-over-bunkering bandwagon).  

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 02:06:02 AM »
There's just something a little bit off on a few of the holes, judging from the photos. My first impression was actually "wow". But the drama doesn't seem to build as it goes along. If anything the holes seemed to get plainer, but maybe that's just the pictures.

The one hole with the Bethpage looking bunkers doesn't look nice at all, nor does the lake on #18, but I don't want to write off any hole based on a single picture.

It just seemed that a few holes - the bethpage hole, and that par-3 with the big bunkers - didn't really integrate into their surrounds that well.

Several of the other holes did - #1, for example, and the hole going down the valley with the two bunkers on the right corner - and I found those other holes much more appealing from the photos.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 02:07:16 AM by Matt_Cohn »

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 09:31:58 AM »
Is Brasada Private? Public? Resort?

It does have that look of a course with some eye candy bunkers placed on the edges to promote fast play.  

The Bend area is pretty, I just wonder when they are going to run out of water?

Michael Dugger

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 11:02:57 AM »
Is Brasada Private? Public? Resort?

It does have that look of a course with some eye candy bunkers placed on the edges to promote fast play.  

The Bend area is pretty, I just wonder when they are going to run out of water?

It's private
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Pete_Pittock

Re: Brasada Ranch
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »
I played Brasada Ranch last week and enjoyed the outing.
   Brasada Ranch is part of the Jeld Wen family of resorts, affliliated with nearby Eagle Crest resort. The course was built by Peter Jacobsen and Jim Hardy on what had been a working cattle ranch. Unlike Pronghorn, which is a bit to the west, this course is built on the slopes of Powell Butte and is more exposed to the wind as well as the views.
  I don't think the owners wanted a difficult course. The clientele is mostly second-home vacation types, or retired. Eleven of the holes are routed down shallow canyons and busying up the holes would be overkill in that situation. That leaves seven on upper tableland or rims. More could have been done to make these holes more difficult, but that could have unbalanced the feel.
  They could reverse the nines for a stronger finish. The hdcps of 7-8-9 are 7,5,1 versus 4,10,8 on the back.
  The primary defense of the course is the greens which are usually above 11 with subtle and occasionally pronounced contour.
   I can post some pictures as others have disappeared.

Joel_Stewart

Re: Brasada Ranch
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 01:12:44 AM »

I was just up at a new course in Lake Tahoe called Greys Crossing by Jacobson and Hardy which had very little interest in the fairways, greens or bunkers.   In Lake Tahoe they have to compete against some very strong golf courses, for housing and memberships and Jacobson and Hardy are turning out some very bland products.

I see the same style here, wide, wide fairways and the most ludicrous bunkers with tongues.  One of these days these developers will get over Peters song and dance and look for substance.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back