News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: In what way are you a golf snob?
« Reply #275 on: February 26, 2008, 08:36:36 AM »

I truly believe I could spend 6 months with an absolute hacker and turn him into a player that could consistently break 100 on a course of average difficulty.  I'll make this offer--give me a guy between 25 and 60 with no physical issues who sucks (can't break 100).  I'll spend an hour a week with him for six months and if he can't break 100 in three attempts, I'll give him a free membership!

Chris,
If this mythical golfer spent an hour a week for 6 months (26 hours) with you ,and played his usual amount (12 1/2 times) of course he would be able to break 100!
The fact that he hasn't committed himself to such a regimen is the REASON he's such a poor golfer.
If he did in fact committ to such a program, the credit wouldn't go to you for "turning him into a player that could break 100", but rather to him for finding time in his schedule, committing to and sticking with a program.
I would say any COMPETENT professional could and would do the same do the same-
The difficulty lies in finding the committed individual.

And you'd better be good at teaching or you could end up with a club full of freeloading hackers, leaving you without an income or a game ;D ;D.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Art Roselle

« Reply #276 on: February 26, 2008, 11:20:36 AM »
Art

I HAVE A CONTRADICTORY RELATIONSHIP WITH THE RULES

Surely there can only be one option if you want to play golf - you play by the rules.

Pleasure, fun or in a competition, to do anything else would, in my opinion be letting myself down, showing that I am willing to - lets call it compromise myself.

I think that is fine, but I also just think that is your business.  If I am playing a casual round by myself and I cannot find my ball in the rough, I am just not going to go back to the tee and hit 3.  I will not kid myself about the "state of my game" or what I really shot, I just don't want the inconvenience.  I am out there to have fun.  If there is nobody behind me, I might hit two from the fairway.  Heck, I might even put out the better one and pick up the one in the bunker.  Who cares.  I view that as basically a practice session rather than a round.  Even with others, if it is not a match, I just don't think anyone else should care what I shoot enough to suffer the inconvenience of my screwing around with a bunch of complicated rulings and procedures.

That said, I have a very good knowledge of the rules and play by them when it matters (to others). 

Richard Choi

« Reply #277 on: February 26, 2008, 11:29:17 AM »
2.  I will never say "pin", "trap" or "you da man".

There is a special place in hell for those guys who yell "You da man!" or "Get in the hole"...

Gib Carpenter

« Reply #278 on: February 26, 2008, 11:54:37 AM »

3. Most especially speed demons. You know the type; men who think everyone should play on the dead run so THEY won't be held up. I personally always [unless instructed by the course cops] let someone play through by request. I NEVER excuse someone hitting into my group. I NEVER excuse someone complaining out loud to 'no one in particular' that we are slow. If I am going to enjoy golf experience, it is going to take me at least 3.5hrs. Ask, and you pass. Be an ass, and wait!

Wow. I think we can all agree that slow play is  the bane of the game in the States. While a time of 3 1/2 hours is by no means slow, I have always understood the one golden rule of course etiquette to be that if one or more holes are open ahead that "slower groups shall INVITE faster groups to play through". I expect if you find folks talking loudly about pace of play or hitting into you on a regular basis, perhaps (while you wait for them to request to play through) they are trying to send you a subtle (or not so subtle) message that they believe your failure to INVITE them to play through is a serious breech of etiquette.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:59:22 AM by Gib Carpenter »
GCA/AOK

Michael Powers

« Reply #279 on: February 26, 2008, 02:53:53 PM »
Jeff,
You seem to be offended in some way.....it almost feels like.....you're gonna call me a........GOLF SNOB, which I believe is listed in the title of the thread.

But since we're on the topic, how important is the service that cart attendants provide?

Very.

As for your preference to tying your shoes, trunk open, leg raised on your bumper like a dog takin a leak,  is it really to much to ask someone to use the facilities that the establishment provides?  Give your GM at Palmetto a pat on the back next time you see him, cause he obviously has a clue.
HP

jeffwarne

« Reply #280 on: February 26, 2008, 04:10:14 PM »
Michael,
Your first post suggested to me that you wouldn't understand or appreciate Palmetto Golf Club.

Your second confirmed it.

A GM ???? ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) :( :( :(

Palmetto is a golf club.
They have a fine golf professional (Tom Moore) and an excellent superintendant (Rhett Baker).
Why on earth would they need a GM?
That truly would be the beginning of the end.

FYI--previously Palmetto did not have enough locker space for all the members (particularly their large country membership) and existed in the original buildings for both pro shop and locker room.
 Nor did they serve lunch besides the "dreaded ROTISSERIE" weiners that Tom sold in the pro shop, except for club events or Master's week.
That has been fine for 116 years and the membership has focused on more important things-
like playing golf and enjoying the club's cameraderie.

If you ever have the opportunity to play golf in Aiken, SC, I suggest Sage Valley.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2008, 04:50:20 PM »
I am also a golf snob because the golf competition
(open to all) that started at Prestwick in 1861 is
called                           
                            “THE OPEN” 

Nothing more - nothing less
   no need for any other qualification – there will only
   ever be one and it should only be played in Scotland

Art, please note, and only played by those who observe
                        the rules at all times

That should guarantee my seat in the Scottish Parliament
come the next election. Perhaps become the Sports Minister

PS The Competition actually started in 1860,
           but was not a true Open until 1861

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
I am also a golf snob because the golf competition
(open to all) that started at Prestwick in 1861 is
called                           
                            “THE OPEN” 

Nothing more - nothing less
   no need for any other qualification – there will only
   ever be one and it should only be played in Scotland

Or Northern Ireland >:( ;)  ;D

I owe you an IM!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2008, 05:41:01 PM »

Palmetto is a golf club.
They have a fine golf professional (Tom Moore) and an excellent superintendant (Rhett Baker).

FYI--previously Palmetto did not have enough locker space for all the members (particularly their large country membership) and existed in the original buildings for both pro shop and locker room.
 Nor did they serve lunch besides the "dreaded ROTISSERIE" weiners that Tom sold in the pro shop, except for club events or Master's week.
That has been fine for 116 years and the membership has focused on more important things-

I love everything that I read about Palmetto. While I am disappointed that I did not get to play it during last Fall's Dixie Cup, I am probably better off never seeing it. It probably can't live up to my own internal hype, because I think it may be my favorite Golf Club in the world!

Michael Powers

« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2008, 11:20:27 PM »
Oops, just read Ian Andrews use the term trap, you better send him an IM.
HP

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #285 on: February 26, 2008, 11:27:32 PM »

Palmetto is a golf club.

I love everything that I read about Palmetto. While I am disappointed that I did not get to play it during last Fall's Dixie Cup, I am probably better off never seeing it. It probably can't live up to my own internal hype, because I think it may be my favorite Golf Club in the world!

Palmetto is a special place and Tommy Moore is gentleman in the best sense of the word who lives and breathes Palmetto green.  The course is fun but I think you might be disappointed.  It has some very ordinary holes, some great holes and some holes that make you scratch your head. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2008, 08:18:42 AM »
Tommy,
That's a very fair statement.
In fact, for someone such as Mike Sweeney, who lives in an area, of multiple classic great courses; by comparison, the course , may in fact disappoint.
For those in the south however, Palmetto stands out -mainly due to the DEARTH of classic courses in the southeast, but also due to the cameraderie, simplicity, and friendliness of the place Tom Moore and the club engender.

As a kid, coming over to play at Tom Moore's invite (he and the club are great supporters of junior and amateur golf) I always loved the golf course, the old clubhouse, pro shop, even though my friends and local afficianados of golf scoffed at the place. (Palmetto had no irrigation until the late 80's).

In the past 20 years it's gone through several renovations, always employing the "preferred architect" of the time. Fortunately the recent preferred consulting architects, Doak, then Hanse, have had an appreciation for Palmetto's roots and have done a wonderful job of restoring and/or enhancing the MacKenzie look.
The rough sandy look and waste areas lost when the irrigation was installed are mostly gone forever, even though Hanse has restored/renovated some of the waste areas, mostly in out of play areas.
A great deal of work has been done in house under the eye of Tom Moore and Superintendant Rhett Baker.

Palmettoo is a throwback in time, although most recently they are spending a lot of time and effort to stay/return to being a throwback in time. Tom Moore assures me I'm going to like the golf course regrassing and clubhouse renovation, but frankly I enjoyed the course the most in the 70's and early 80's when it had a rougher look. I hope to be wrong on my next visit.

The greatest thing about Palmetto is that it tends/tended to disappoint just the right people, which is why they have been able to preserve their unique culture as long as they have.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 08:21:24 AM by jeffwarne »

Tom Yost

« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2008, 09:39:56 AM »
After reading this lengthy thread, I've come to the conclusion that I am a golf SLOB.   8)

Tom

Brent Hutto

« Reply #288 on: February 27, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »
I've only visited Palmetto once but it is the rare place for which the statement "It's the best course of its kind I've ever seen." does not in the least damn with faint praise. For those of us who appreciate Palmetto's "kind" of course it is a refreshing antidote to fancy-pants courses that are all about The Experience rather than simply offering a warm welcome for anyone looking for a straightforward round of golf on a course with a huge variety of holes (including some you won't find very many places today) on IMHO nearly perfect ground for golf.

There's not a single feature at Palmetto that will make a casual observer pull up short and say "Wow, look at that!". But what a knowledgable visitor notices almost immediately is "Wow, what a great place to play golf!" which is sadly a much rarer commodity that it should be. And as long as Tommy Moore is the pro it will also benefit from the hospitality offered by a true lover of the course and of golfer, especially Juniors as Jeff points out.

But if none of that appeals to you, I suppose it would be entirely possible to come away from Palmetto with a few mediocre scores on some of the categories on your typical Rater's form.

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2008, 02:49:49 PM »
I have a contradictory relationship with the rules.  I think people should know the rules and yet I could care less if they play by them (if it is not a competition).  In fact, there are few things more painful to me than the guy who is just playing "for fun" and will not break 100 anyway, and yet has to walk back to the tee when he can't find his Pro-V1 or belabors the exact drop point for his waterlogged ball.  Just drop one somewhere and hit it!  Nobody cares what you shoot and speed is more important than rigid rule-following at that point (to me and the poor slobs behind you).  I am fine with someone who chooses to play by the rules, but it should not hold up the game unnecessarily, unless you are in a competition.  Most people who violate this do not know the rules well anyway, and so they mess it up and take forever (they don't hit provisionals, don't know how or where to drop, etc.)  Watching someone take 5 minutes to carefully identify an incorrect drop point, precisely measure out three club-lengths and finally drop a ball over his shoulder to put it in play, is beyond painful (although occasionally amusing).

At the same time, I am annoyed by guys that play loose with the rules and then boast about their score.  I am fine with people playing their own version of lateral drops and winter rules and as many gimmes as they want, but please don't finish the round and tell me how it is your "7th round in a row under 80" or whatever.  My dream partner is a guy who can hit the ball ok, but when he can't find his ball, he just tosses one out and hits it (without worrying if he has really used his complete 5 minutes).  He also is willing to take a gimme when offered and will pick up if things get really ugly.  When the round is over and his card says 85, if someone asks him what he shot, he says, "Oh, I don't know.  We were just playing for fun.  If I had played by the strict rules, it would have been 90 or so.  Pretty day out there though."  I love that guy (and, in fact, most players I run across are like that, which is nice)

Likewise, I don't want to be told how to play or what the rules are by someone who is not in a match against me.  If I choose to pick up after two hacks in a bunker or scoop a longish gimme, then that is my business.  I am not playing against you and I am probably not even keeping score.  I am just trying to have fun and keep the game moving (for you or the group behind).  Mind your own business.

I also do not like guys who create a competition where I didn't want one.  Usually this is done ex post facto.  I am paired with a complete stranger and after a seemingly pleasant few holes, he will announce "I think I am two up on you so far."  Usually that is the same guy who will point out my various rule infractions, since they are messing with his imaginary competition.  My new response to that is "Yep, but I really sort of like these right-handed clubs my brother lent me.  Kinda different though."

Maybe that is not really snobbery, but more just pet peeves.  Most of it relates to being paired with strangers.  With friends it is easier to nip that stuff early (or just avoid those players).

Other annoyances

-people who express opinions as facts "You know this course is actually better than Augusta National, just not as well known."

-people who confidently express incorrect facts as facts "I like Pinehurst, but I really think Shinnecock is Donald Ross's best course."

-decent players who totally underestimate the gap between themselves and great players "I can't hit it quite far enough to compete with those guys on Tour, but I can chip and putt as well as any of them." (really? ya think?)

-guys who take themselves and their golf games too seriously

-guys who think their course is the best in the world because the greens are fast

-guys who complain about kids or women on the course.  If they are slow, then you can complain, but don't just complain before you know anything.  You are no speedster yourself and that kid can probably beat your ass.

- guys who complain and criticize a lot of things, while playing golf.  It is supposed to be fun.  Don't drag me into your manufactured misery.   

-guys who put a lot of caveats around their disappointing score. "I shot 82 with 3 three putts, so I should been in the 70s."  Yeah, well you also chipped in twice and made two 40 footers.  I thought it "should have been" 88.

People who are high maintenance...  ;)

Pete Garvey

« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2008, 04:25:43 PM »
I'll only ride in ClubCar golf carts............pardon me, could you please pass the Grey Poupon?

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #291 on: February 27, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »
I'll only ride in ClubCar golf carts............pardon me, could you please pass the Grey Poupon?

But, of course!  8)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #292 on: February 28, 2008, 08:26:39 AM »

In fact, for someone such as Mike Sweeney, who lives in an area, of multiple classic great courses; by comparison, the course , may in fact disappoint.
For those in the south however, Palmetto stands out -mainly due to the DEARTH of classic courses in the southeast, but also due to the cameraderie, simplicity, and friendliness of the place Tom Moore and the club engender.

My golf snobbery definitely drops at this time of year. 19 degrees this morning, I would gladly sign up for 12 months of the year Doak 5-6 Fazio/Rees at Daniels Island in Charleston!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #293 on: February 28, 2008, 10:19:33 AM »
Hell, right now, I'd sign up for 12 months at some rat-ass Doak 1 in East Bumf**k, Texas as long as they've got plenty of cold Lone Star.

It's going to be 60 deg in Bumf**k, Boonville this Sunday.  We got a Doak Doak 3 and have plenty of Bud on tap...Come on down.

Norbert P

« Reply #294 on: February 28, 2008, 01:32:27 PM »
 I went on a tirade concerning the travesty of the Ryder Cup being held at the K Club.  THAT'S NOT IRISH GOLF!!!  . . . YOU SONSA . . .  AAK AAKKK!!! 

Lewis Black

I saw this guy last year from the 2nd row at The Schnitz. It was hard to breathe through that show.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:34:56 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Anthony Gray

« Reply #295 on: February 15, 2010, 10:02:34 PM »

Bunp

mike_beene

« Reply #296 on: February 15, 2010, 11:25:37 PM »
Look down on people who can't spell.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2010, 08:10:07 AM »
I think from day one I was a golf snob.  A lot of my friends only want to play the "best" courses.

But then a few on this site, Adam Clayman really comes to mind, encouraged me to play some "clunkers" in order to #1) find some hidden gems related to courses or holes, #2) gain a better appreciation for the great courses.

After having done this, I think my golf snobbery has almost been eliminated.  I have found that I enjoy courses of all shapes, sizes, and quality.  Even if in fact I don't "like" the course, I am looking for the good points that exist that people might be over-looking.

I think my snobbery has in fact shifted from courses to people.  I don't like when people disrespect the game.  Not fixing ball marks on greens, not repair divots, yelling obscenties on the course, throwing clubs, cheating, etc 

I think honor and respect of the game are more important than saying I shot a 79.

Throughout my ramblings, I have indeed discovered how I am a golf snob.  Sorry for the meandering!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2010, 08:24:07 AM »

I am a golfer, so in the eyes of many I am a golfing snob because they decide not to play the game in the time honoured fashion.

So tell me who is the snob or are these people jealous because they can’t or will not play the game in the conventional way. There is a big difference between being proud to be a golfer or being regarded as a snob for honouring the game

The only time I look down on cart riders is when I stand beside them when they are seated in their carts, yet I do not feel that they look up to me because I prefer to walk.

Melvyn   

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #299 on: June 24, 2012, 09:25:44 PM »
I reconfirmed today that I'm married to a GCA snob.  Over the last couple of weeks, we played two courses because our home club was closed for men's/women's member/guests.  Laura's out there critiquing green complexes, angles, use of terrain, and even agronomy (noting the presence of algae on one green and lamenting a huge greenside fan on another).

Thanks, treehouse.  You've turned her into a gal with fine tastes.  Yikes!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back