News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Katona

Re:In what way are you a golf snob?
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2007, 10:07:52 AM »
1.Slow play

2. Having players in front of my group playing from the incorrect tee.

3. Sandbagging handicaps (either way).

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2007, 10:09:21 AM »
Players who will be on the first tee as soon as they finish their crossword puzzle.  Let's go genius boy.

Richard Choi

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2007, 10:41:01 AM »

4. Blades...they are okay if you are old school and are playing original Staffs despite what you shoot....if you have the new ones and suck, I'm above you.  ;D

I can definitely live with that exception :)

... Life's too short to play lousy courses.

Hey, that's MY motto - "Life is too short to play sh$tty courses"!

There is a local course, which will go unnamed, that I refuse to play. It is actually not the worst course around, but they had a fantastic golf site and did the least possible with it, with several holes that just make you scratch your head. I refuse to reward that kind of incompetance.

While I am at it, I HATE HATE HATE (did I say hate?) dogleg holes with a house inside the dogleg. Even worse, there is a local course where a house inside the dogleg built an all-glass sunroom that juts out to the course. WTF? Do these people LIKE getting hit by golf balls?

John Kirk

« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »
Gee Richard, sounds like Half Moon Bay (Old)

John Kirk

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2007, 11:47:11 AM »
In recent years, I have been catapulted into a new golfing existence, where I play great courses nearly every round.  I see so few average courses that I don't know what crap looks like anymore.  Since I'm so used to seeing greatness, sometimes even great courses look average to me.  Sometimes I have to see a great course several times before I can see the greatness.

I'm quite particular about who I play with.  I would much rather play with  good players.  If I am paired with less talented players, they should play fast, know the rules, be respectful of others, and hopefully understand golf and golf architecture.  At least they must be interesting people.  Exceptions are made for beautiful women and especially funny people.  If you're funny, I don't care about all the other stuff.  Funny people are the greatest gift of all.

How did I do?  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2007, 11:53:15 AM »
I'm not playing with anyone who pulls a push cart.

David Stamm

« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2007, 11:56:32 AM »

John, you weren't kidding when we played at Rustic Canyon. You really have fallen in love again with pull/carts. I remember how giddy you were about it.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »

John, you weren't kidding when we played at Rustic Canyon. You really have fallen in love again with pull/carts. I remember how giddy you were about it.

I do love using them even if I hate looking at em...Kinda like fat chicks.

David Stamm

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2007, 11:59:36 AM »
In recent years, I have been catapulted into a new golfing existence, where I play great courses nearly every round.  I see so few average courses that I don't know what crap looks like anymore.  Since I'm so used to seeing greatness, sometimes even great courses look average to me.  Sometimes I have to see a great course several times before I can see the greatness.

I'm quite particular about who I play with.  I would much rather play with  good players.  If I am paired with less talented players, they should play fast, know the rules, be respectful of others, and hopefully understand golf and golf architecture.  At least they must be interesting people.  Exceptions are made for beautiful women and especially funny people.  If you're funny, I don't care about all the other stuff.  Funny people are the greatest gift of all.

How did I do?  

John, I guess after my terrible play that day, I'm going to have to work on my jokes, or put on a dress. ;) ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Doug Siebert

« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2007, 12:02:48 AM »
I'm a snob in terms of people who don't know at least a decent bit of history of the game.

If somebody doesn't know the following, I know that's somebody I don't want to play golf with:

-- What is the R & A and what does it stand for?

-- Who was Bobby Jones?

-- What is a stymie?

-- Why does a golf course have 18 holes?

...basically, really, really basic stuff stuff like that.  I'm never going to have a decent golf conversation with that as a starting point, so I don't even bother...

Damn, I'll bet that counts out over 98% of the people playing on any given day in the US.  Do you pass out a quiz on the first tee or is it an oral exam? ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

John Kirk

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2007, 12:08:53 AM »

John, I guess after my terrible play that day, I'm going to have to work on my jokes, or put on a dress. ;) ;D

A dress won't help, as I can usually differentiate between male and female regardless of apparel.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2007, 08:07:44 AM »
 If you're funny, I don't care about all the other stuff.  Funny people are the greatest gift of all.

I must have a better sense of humor than I realized . . .

John, your sneaker golf shoe addiction belies your professed golf snobbery . . . hhhmmmm  ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:08:15 AM by JKBlasberg »

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2007, 09:47:19 AM »
I enjoy the option of grabbing a handful of complimentary tees when offered, although I haven't ever played anywhere with complimentary long 3 1/4 inchers.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad,
Try Muirfield or Kingsbarns. I'll have to go back as my supply has nearly run out ;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2007, 09:57:43 AM »
I can't stand playing with people who intentionally take more complimentary tees then they need for the day.  Thieves..why not just steal a shirt.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2007, 10:17:18 AM »
But how do know how many you need for the day?

I would normally take a handful - maybe 8 or 10 (I don't count them). Would it be reasonable to take 18?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Rich Goodale

« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2007, 10:23:20 AM »
The only thing I am a snob about (golf-wise, that is) are (is?) golf snobs.

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2007, 10:53:21 AM »
I am a snob about people who aren't happy unless they are pissed off, its so tiresome.  Just have fun and keep up.    

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2007, 11:09:21 AM »
But how do know how many you need for the day?

I would normally take a handful - maybe 8 or 10 (I don't count them). Would it be reasonable to take 18?

18 is reasonable given the drought we are enjoying.  I have had guests take two double hand fulls...I hate having to yell at guests.

John_Cullum

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2007, 06:36:47 PM »
Barney once gave me an estimate of the amount of money golf tee thieves cost the industry in a calendar year. It was clearly well thought out, and something he devoted considerable study to. He also noted how the long tees were rarely given away. I enjoyed playing golf with someone who had given so much thought to such an issue.

I must admit I had never thought about it at the time, but I think about that every time I grab a handful now. I also run out more often, the bastard
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 06:37:37 PM by John Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

David Stamm

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2007, 06:51:23 PM »

A dress won't help, as I can usually differentiate between male and female regardless of apparel.

You're right. That would be alot uglier than my swing. ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2007, 09:45:34 PM »
I played today as a guest and only took six tees...I ran out and had to borrow one.  The guy handed me a tee from one of my home courses.  I bet he has a million of em.

Tim Bert

« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2007, 10:19:26 PM »
I played today as a guest and only took six tees...I ran out and had to borrow one.  The guy handed me a tee from one of my home courses.  I bet he has a million of em.

I'm a golf snob when it comes to ball markers on the green.  I only use the little wooden ones with the logos from the Bandon Dunes courses.  

John would call this stealing, though I considered it a negligible add-on in exchange for the thousands of $$ I've spent there on three separate occasions.  All in all, I've probably only taken 20 or so.  

I've never seen a sign on their first tee that says "Please take only one ball marker" though I will freely admit I've sometimes felt like the 5th grade kid that grabs a handful of candy from the bowl left out front at the house on Halloween.

My trade-off is that I don't take any tees; I always purchase my own.

JR Potts

« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2007, 10:42:54 PM »

I saw you poach at least two handfuls of those plastic Butler tees. ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2007, 10:48:28 PM »
I am kinda a douchenob for buying a Butler head cover for my driver.  I wouldn't care for that if I saw it.  The stock Taylormade headcover just sucks.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2007, 10:52:14 PM »
Note to self:  When getting comped at Vic National, take extra tees to increase the next membership assessment and throw entire southern Indiana economy into downward spiral .  ;D

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:54:57 PM by Brad Swanson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back