News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Re: In what way are you a golf snob?
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2008, 09:50:32 AM »
I don't have a problem with a man who cheats on his wife often, my problem lays with the man who cheats poorly.

I like it.....maybe we can get tee shirts with the GCA.com logo on the back, but on the front it says:

Cheat Up, Cheat Often
  (but don't be stupid about it!)

8)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Adam Clayman

« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2008, 10:44:04 AM »
You just never know when you are going to upset somebody.

Two days ago they found a guy who blew his head off near the RR tracks. Turns out he cheated on his wife and was summarily thrown out of the house, one week before.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Gib Carpenter

« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2008, 11:23:24 AM »
Let me count the ways....

Reason #3 -

I won't play golf from a golf cart...ever. I was once playing in a Philadelphia PGA pro-am and was threatened with having my group DQ'd if I didn't take my bag off my shoulder (there were no caddies) and put it on the cart "where it belonged"...

Reason #2-

I won't putt with anything but an 8802, Geo Low Wizard 600 or Tommy Armour IMG5 type putter, no exceptions. This isn't a problem for me since I have more than 200 of them lined up on my basement wall...

Reason #1 that I am a Golf Snob

At my club there are grown men who it seems MUST wear shorts if they are playing golf. I mean, in Philadelphia and in November when it's 50 deg and blowing they are out there in a sweater, fleece vest, knit hat and SHORTS...So, a long time ago I decided that I would not wear shorts on the golf course (locally that is) before Memorial Day or after Labor Day and I dont, which makes me a golf snob!
GCA/AOK

Carl Rogers

« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2008, 11:41:03 AM »
I do react well to the following:
- not repairing ball marks on the greens
- not replacing divots
- not raking sand traps after you have hit a shot out of one
- teeing the ball up a few inches in front of the tee markers
- talking while others are hitting
- slow play (I know some that would take the barometric pressure at 10 yard internvals down the fairway if they could)

If I were operating a golf course, I would throw some one off the course for a month if they violated any of the above.

In friendly non-competitive rounds, I am not terribly pre-occuppied with all the rules, particularly on courses that are not in reasonble condition.

Am I a snob? Maybe I am.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2008, 11:45:25 AM »
Carl,

I wouldn't call you a snob in this case, I would just recommend that you get out a bit more often and take a chill pill...  ;D

I mean a one month banishment for accidently teeing up one inch in front of the tee?  Sounds a bit harsh!   ;)

Carl Rogers

« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2008, 01:41:51 PM »
Kalen,
My comments were a little tongue in cheek.  I will be more careful.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2008, 05:58:22 PM »
I hate when people pronounce "golf" as if it rhymes with "Ralph".

I hate the incessant use of the word "golf" as a modifier.

"He hit quite a golf shot on this wonderful golf hole".

TimT

Britt Rife

« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2008, 12:21:01 PM »
I hate when people pronounce "golf" as if it rhymes with "Ralph".

TimT

I don't know if he quite qualifies, but Arnold Palmer has a particularly strange way of saying "golf".  It's just a shade to this side of "galph".

I am something of a golf snob, in that I prefer if my companions share my tastes for walking, very fast play and some knowledge of the history of the game and a willingness to talk about a hole's strategic merits. If they do not, no matter.

I also think that playing in bad, windy or cold weather builds character.  That has a whiff of the snob about it, I think.

Things which do not offend my snobbish sensibilities: drink carts and drink cart girls, companions who roll their ball so long as they do not pretend that they are playing seriously, companions who are not at all serious about their play (so long as they understand that we must keep up the pace).

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »
slow play sucks.

Steve Kline

« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2008, 06:47:34 AM »
Do not ask to hit any of my clubs. I'd really prefer you don't even touch them.

I don't like the bag drop off and I don't need a cart boy to wipe my clubs off for a tip after the round. I clean my club each time I hit it.

For Pete's sake, do not ask me to watch your swing and let me know what you are doing wrong. Generally if you are asking that there are only 50-100 things wrong and in your 5 rounds a year you won't be able to fix them.

Do not buy cute little golf gifts like Christmas tree ornaments or other crap for me. Just because I love to play and watch golf doesn't mean I clutter up my house and office with crap.

Jeremy Rivando

« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2008, 09:35:47 AM »
Similar to Steve regarding the Christmas presents. 

If my family or friends were able to read this it would help.  PLEASE don't buy me any golf related presents,  1 exception, golf books.

There's nothing worse than receiving a multi purpose shoe bag, or a potty putting trainer, or.... on and on and on.  SNOB.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »
Feuling the Christmas fire are the threads started by needy posters with their wish lists.  Sad.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2008, 03:49:59 PM »
I'm amazed at how many people believe that I am a snob simply because I play golf at ALL.

For them, Golfer=Golf Snob.

God forbid if I bring up this cool Golf Architecture site I really like..........
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

henrye

Re:In what way are you a golf snob?
« Reply #238 on: February 22, 2008, 04:42:39 PM »
I can't stand playing with people who intentionally take more complimentary tees then they need for the day.  Thieves..why not just steal a shirt.

Last summer I was playing a game with a well known and respected gentleman.....He tells me he plays with his wife once a week.  After being members of the golf club for more than 5 years (summer cottage course) he is off playing his weekly game with his wife.  She drives the ball deep into the woods and when he offers to provide her with a ball to drop, she refuses and tells him that she only likes to play her "club" balls and not the ones he has purchased.  He asks her what the difference is and she tells him that hers are free and she grabs a handful (club logo balls) from the pro shop with a handful of tees every time she goes out.  Her friends do the same.  Upon reporting this to the pro shop and offering to make amends, he was told it was OK.  They have since moved the balls "for sale" nearer to the shop counter.

Bill Hagel

« Reply #239 on: February 22, 2008, 05:18:35 PM »
Courses that make you take a cart then tell you cart path only.

Groups that refuse to play cart path only when it's in effect

More than one temp green - but green fee still at full price.

Surly starters

Rangers who tell you to 'pick up the pace' when you've been waiting on the group in front of you nearly every shot.

wsmorrison

« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2008, 05:44:05 PM »
I refuse to play a Philadelphia area course that does not have outstanding snapper soup.

JESII

« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2008, 05:46:33 PM »
I refuse to play a Philadelphia area course that does not have outstanding snapper soup.

And that takes the cake!

One of our former caddies used to poach the snapping turtles from the pond on 13...have you tried his recipe?

Dean Stokes

« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2008, 06:55:02 PM »
Watching high handicap golfers who play a couple times a year give swing tips. See it on the range all the time and occasionally on the course.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2008, 05:21:21 AM »

And that takes the cake!

One of our former caddies used to poach the snapping turtles from the pond on 13...have you tried his recipe?

He didn't do a very good job in 2006.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2008, 06:57:34 AM »
Never thought of myself as a Golf Snob
But I must be one as I prefer old links courses
and the assistance of a caddy for my clubs.  :-[

I prefer not to have advise from anyone on a
new course I am playing (I just love the challenge
of the unknown – if I screw up then I screw up no
one else to blame), hate notes regards distances –
which regrettably is now very common place - what
happened to playing real golf with judging distances
(my, I am a golf snob and did not know it). :'(

Well, as I am on a run, I might as well mention I hate
buggies, carts or whatever they are called and new
clubs – truthfully, I think clubs and balls should be left
alone and stop playing with technology – as I can no
longer really compare my latest scores with those of
20 years ago when playing the same courses. It makes
me feel that I am cheating just because I bought a new
set of clubs – don’t kid yourselves, any improvement
as you get older may not be down to your ability to
master your game but through technology, no matter
how insignificant you feel it may be. It’s false, untrue
reflection of your ability, so in my view it is wrong. :(

I really have become a golfing snob – but then I also believe
it is the only right way to play golf and be true to yourself. :)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2008, 09:45:10 AM »
I may be more of a grammar snob than golf snob, but when I hear, "I played good" I want throw up.  Another phrase I often hear is, "He played better than me."
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2008, 12:45:33 PM »
Do not ask to hit any of my clubs. I'd really prefer you don't even touch them.

I don't like the bag drop off and I don't need a cart boy to wipe my clubs off for a tip after the round. I clean my club each time I hit it.

For Pete's sake, do not ask me to watch your swing and let me know what you are doing wrong. Generally if you are asking that there are only 50-100 things wrong and in your 5 rounds a year you won't be able to fix them.

Do not buy cute little golf gifts like Christmas tree ornaments or other crap for me. Just because I love to play and watch golf doesn't mean I clutter up my house and office with crap.

Steve,

You're not so much a golf snob as a golf curmudgeon. Welcome to the family. About the worst temper attack I've ever had on a golf course was putting out on 18 at some half baked 'high end' public course in New Jersey when I spot some kid taking my clubs out of my bag to clean them. Wipe them more like, actually. Firstly, like you, I clean them after every shot, so they do not need cleaning. Secondly -  just don't touch my clubs, dammit!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »
If you've posted on this thread more than once, you just might be a golf snob...

... just trying to uphold my standing.  ;) ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Moore II

« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2008, 03:45:42 PM »
I will never wear shorts to the course, especially if I called the pro ahead of time. Just lacks class from a professional I think.

Pete Garvey

« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »
First of all, I firmly believe that golf is a better game enjoyed while walking.  Either by caddie or the old fashion way, bag on shoulder!

This takes me to my point.  I too may be a snob, but it drives me crazy to play with someone carrying their bag backwards.  Backwards meaning club heads behind him.  You know the guy, as he walks, all his club heads "clanking" away to the rhythm of his step so that it can be heard by everyone within 300 yards.  Call me a purist but I firmly believe the bag should be placed on one's shoulders with club heads in front, hand securely placed on the club heads to prevent rattling and bag wrapped around back.

O.T.- This leads me to another thought, I firmly believe golf would be a better game if all new players were mandated to caddie before becoming a player.  In many ways I believe golf has tripped over its own popularity.  I think there is a strong correlation between golf's lost tradition and the declining caddie ranks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back