News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_D._Bernhardt

Let's give architecture to the children
« on: August 22, 2002, 06:32:20 AM »
It is the begining of the school year and time to donate old computors to the school as well as the usual cash support. lol I sat back and thought of the energy we put into the development of young golfers. Why not try to let them have a better understanding of the courses they play and why they are designed the way they are. So I picked up 4 or 5  books from my golf architecture library, that for whatever reason I have multiple copies of, for my child's school library. Naturally The New World Atlas of Golf was for Tommy N. I threw in a few of Geoff's books for next generation promotion lol. I am sure many of you are way ahead of me on this but it seemed worth putting up as a reminder that knowlege is a great thing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:08 PM by -1 »

RJ_Daley

Re: Let give architecture to the kids
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 08:13:00 AM »
That is a darn fine thought John!  One worries however that books have become obsolete to this next generation.  I don't know how we are going to keep the coming generation of kids' noses in the books.  Do you think that some of these computer aided golf design game/tool programs are off base and only feed into the diminishment of youngster's appreciation for books?  I don't know?   :-/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 08:43:02 AM »
I agree John with you idea.  An excellent idea.  I kind of started this a few months ago reading Geoff S's Good Doctor Returns to my daughter at night when she goes to bed.  Next up is Foursome the Spider from Sleeping Bear for my son.  

Dick,

Actually I think those games might help fuel some people to try and gather a better understanding.  Having played around with my share of those games, I can tell you that without trying to gather some further understanding of the theoretical side of things, you can get bored with them really quickly.  Studying the great courses and the master architects really is what makes using those tools/games more enjoyable.  

John Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 09:08:51 AM »
Dick, I will ask my daughter about that. I am fairly certain they can use vidio programs on the computors in the library at her school. I would think architectual design would be well received. I am betting there are less than 3 golf architecture books in her library at the moment. I hope to make 10 or 20 within a few weeks.

Chris Hervochon

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2002, 10:34:11 PM »
As a confidence boost for all of you guys, you should be happy to know that golf architecture books, especially of the classic courses, has not yet been totally lost on the younger generation.  I am moving into college as we speak (incoming freshman), and I did bring a crate full of books with me to school aka-my library.  We have Aristotle's views of politics right in there with Scotland's Gift, The Anatomy of a Golf Course (recently borrowed back from my friend who stole it and tried to take it to college with him) Golf Course Design, Golf Has Never Failed Me, Golf Course Architecture in America, among others.  If only I was majoring in Landscape Architecture of something of the sort.....

Chris Kane

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2002, 12:01:21 AM »
John,

It's a great idea: and one that I wish a donor to my school library had thought of.  Don't know how popular the books would be, but if it inspired even one kid, then it would be worth it.

Currently, we have 0 books on golf architecture, and when I requested that they purchase the Anatomy of a Golf Course and The Confidential Guide, I was told that GCA wasn't a subject that was of use to the school curriculum! - Which is hypocritical, because kids request books on aircraft and motor vehicles all the time, and the requests are filled within weeks.

Jeff_McDowell

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2002, 05:48:20 AM »
Chris,

Sounds like I was lucky. Before I knew much (maybe anything) about golf course architecture, I stumbled across John Strawn's Driving the Green in our small public library. I know the book doesn't talk much about architecture, yet the process of creating something fascinated me, and motivated me to purchase The Links. I've been hooked ever since.

John, Your idea is a stroke of genius. I have given books to friends, but now my newest donor will be the library.

John Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2002, 12:00:01 PM »
John Strawn is a very good friend of mine. He has touched so many people with that book. I only hope that somehow I could do the same.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back