News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Re: "The golf courses matter zero" - Gary McCord
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 05:25:32 PM »
It's the kind of place where the members get to gush over being a member at a club with a preening cipher like Gary McCord, who last said something funny when he played junior golf.  You also have the benefit of seeing Phil in his 54DDD cups on a regular basis and the occasional sighting of the Beemer doing something real nutty, like lighting his golf bag on fire.  It's a real hoot of a place.

But based on everything I hear about the golf courses, it's worth a visit...
As I stated above Terry, I already knew I would like to be a member there and that was before you told us of all the ancilliary benefits of being there. :D

Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

George Pazin

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 05:33:54 PM »
Would anyone join a club without giving the golf course(s) any thought at all? 

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the starting point for someone who can afford a 100K initiation is pretty high. Not quite as extreme, but it's a little like picking a Victoria's Secret model - not a bad starting point.

Having said all that, the course would certainly matter to me, though perhaps not as much as the other members and the culture of the club. I'd probably have a list of clubs I'd join for the course, and one's I'd join for the company. I'd expect the one I chose would be on both lists.

Of course, anytime I think about private clubs, Groucho's words spring to mind...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mark Smolens

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 06:05:02 PM »
I'm afraid that until those 6 numbers come in, I'll have to settle for being a guest there.  But a pretty nice place to be hosted.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 07:19:59 PM »
Gary McCord is a grade-A idiot.

Pat,

No doubt he can say some pretty crazy stuff but I have played a decent amount of golf with him and have known him for a number of years and he is certainly no idiot.  Actually he is very well read and can speak quite authoritatively on many subjects in addition to golf which for a golf pro is quite impressive :) 

I dare say he has read more books than the majority of touring pros combined and most likely more than most on this board!  Anyway, like all of us he can say stupid things but I assure you he is no dummy ;D

As to the notion that golf courses matter zero I am very sorry to say that I think there is more than a kernal of truth in that statement.  For 90% of golfers (almost none of which would be on this site) the architectural merit or features of a golf course is meaningless.

Overwhelmingly, course conditions, the impressiveness of the locker rooms and the other amenities are far more important than the golf course itself >:(  Don't get me wrong, it kills me to say it but it's true.  Also, I am not sure what the context was of the McCord comment but I was just opining on the title that "golf courses matter zero" :o  Sadly, very sadly that is a true statement for the great majority of golfers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back