News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

John daly, the devil's golfer
« on: August 09, 2007, 08:32:34 PM »
as gifted and flawed as paganini, the devil's fiddler

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=683

Kalen Braley

Re:John daly, the devil's golfer
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 09:18:57 PM »
Good article Jay....

In the spirit of fairness, if JD can hold out to the end and with this thing, its good to see the devil getting his licks in and helping a man to win a big tournament.  I was beginning to think God had a strangle-hold on the whole outcome thing...

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 09:23:51 PM »
John was born about 75 years too late. Still, he has an incredible talent and people love to see him hit a golf ball - far.

Just before he won the British Open, John was "co-designer" of one of my courses, Wicked Stick, in Myrtle Beach, SC. On one visit, he gave an exhibition at the adjacent golf course.

He started the show by hitting a long iron into the open doors of the maintenance building at the other end of the practice range, probably over 250 yards away. Someone from the crowd asked him how to hit different shots with the same club. John pulls out a pitching wedge, tells the crowd he'll hit this one about 200 yards, which he does. He then proceeds to hit the same club about 175, 150, 100, 50, 25 and then on his last swing, he hits the ball, takes one step forward and catches the ball in the air - all with the same club.

I don't condone some of the issues he has had - but regardless of what anyone says, he is still a talented golfer.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 09:49:51 PM »
He is the most talented golfer on the tour, right next to Woods and Mickelson, but even more naturally talented.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 09:57:36 PM »
John was born about 75 years too late. Still, he has an incredible talent and people love to see him hit a golf ball - far.

Just before he won the British Open, John was "co-designer" of one of my courses, Wicked Stick, in Myrtle Beach, SC. On one visit, he gave an exhibition at the adjacent golf course.

He started the show by hitting a long iron into the open doors of the maintenance building at the other end of the practice range, probably over 250 yards away. Someone from the crowd asked him how to hit different shots with the same club. John pulls out a pitching wedge, tells the crowd he'll hit this one about 200 yards, which he does. He then proceeds to hit the same club about 175, 150, 100, 50, 25 and then on his last swing, he hits the ball, takes one step forward and catches the ball in the air - all with the same club.

I don't condone some of the issues he has had - but regardless of what anyone says, he is still a talented golfer.

Clyde, those are great stories!  I saw his SON do an exhibition with his dad's driver.  He was three and hitting the ball 150...amazing.

Tell us more about wicked stick and working with him...

Mike C., you're right.  He is deeply, deeply talented.  I just fear for him too...he's had some close calls in the past...

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:08:16 PM »
He is too obvious to be the devil's golfer.I bet a certain lefthander from California is.His short game coach looks like a demon,and he said he loves playing in hot weather.His walk is not of this world,more subcutaneous.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 10:59:09 PM »
Jay,

If Daly is the devil's golfer you must be the publicists for Ex-Lax.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 11:00:40 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 11:15:37 PM »
Don't sell yourself short, Barney, your plenty constipated. ;D

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 03:13:22 AM »
It's as though he's trying to sabotage himself to avoid the expectations and the pressure and the reality of it all.

No practice rounds.

12 drivers, when that's very clearly not the smart play to play Southern Hills.

Super-fast play, which he claimed he moderated slightly today.

You'd almost think he was scared of really trying.   :-\

But I know it's alot more complicated than that.

Eric Olsen

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 10:09:21 AM »
Nicely put, Kalen.  

Doug Siebert

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 01:04:31 AM »
Daly may have his problems, but he is the reason I Tivo'ed Friday's round.  I fast forwarded through the other golfers and just watched his shots, it is amazing some of the crazy stuff he tried and the recoveries he was able to execute when the crazy stuff didn't work out for him.  You never know what he's going to do next (or why, some of the time!)

I knew Tiger was making some birdies but I didn't know he was going for a 62 until they put up the graphic about all the 63s so I slowed it down to watch him miss his putt.  He's just not much fun to watch because he's hitting irons off almost all the holes anymore.  It may be sound strategy but its coma inducing TV, at least to me.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back